Throwing Punches at the Hurricane: Jazz at Bandcamp

Comments

• a4214807281_2.jpg
    Last December, I played some trio gigs in Japan with Thomas Morgan and RJ Miller. Over the course of the tour we found a way of making music together that felt really good to me. On the last night, we played a show in Mito City and I recorded it on my phone. The quality of the audio certainly isn't the most hi-fi, but there's something about the vibe of Voice Memos that I've always liked, and after doing a bit of mastering work to boost the low frequencies, I think it doesn't sound too shabby.

A worthy experiment, but the tinny piano sound makes it a tough listen. Too bad, as there are good little digital recorders to be had out there! I may give it another spin as "incidental music" on the desktop speakers.
  • a1558647100_2.jpg
    Devin Hoff - ANSIBLE
    released 20 July 2013
    Devin Hoff-bass guitar
    Ken Vandermark-tenor saxophone
    Jeff Parker-guitar
    Frank Rosaly-drums

recorded live at the Skylark, Chicago on April 22, 2013
  • Thanks for that, Brighter! Spent the weekend lamenting that I missed the chance to see Jeff play a free (argh!) show with Nels Cline last week. Happily, I will get another chance to hear Jeff (if not Nels) at the Jazz Fest in a couple weeks.
  • Matt Smiley's BC page has a bunch of new stuff. I'm currently listening to
    a0760027827_2.jpg
    a live performance of Christian Wolff's Burdock.
  • edited September 2013
    a0822540445_2.jpg

This really is a fine new trio album. Much more than the usual 'Old Jazz Guy plays with Younger Guys' stuff. They really meld, and my impression after a couple spins is that there's plenty for Bad Plus fans to listen to here--perhaps softened a bit by Tootie. I also love the song selection, which meanders from The Charleston, through Henry Mancini, Billy Strayhorn, Jobim, and Mal Waldron.

Posted here because the Sunnyside Bandcamp store is becoming one of my favorites. For same price as Amazon and a couple bucks more than eMu, you can DL both flac and mp3, with booklets and sometimes bonus tracks. I'd love to see them on drip.fm, and perhaps will suggest that.

eta, the buttons they are wearing say 'Tootie for President"
  • edited September 2013
    Totally the wrong thread.
  • Since I know Greg (and maybe a few others) have left eMu, but were readers of my jazz picks column, I'm going to start occasionally posting some links to Jazz Picks albums available on Bandcamp...

My Pick of the Week a couple weeks ago...

Nashaz-Nashaz.jpg

Nashaz - "Nashaz"

The eMusic column...

http://www.emusic.com/17dots/2013/08/28/new-jazz-this-week-nashaz-matt-ulerys-loom-aakash-mittal-and-more/#more-17740

Bandcamp link...

http://nashaz.bandcamp.com/releases
  • Thanks Jonah, that is really useful. I am thinking of going back to emusic for a couple of months, so hopefully I'll catch up with a few of your jazz picks. I know I said I'd probably never go back, but the prices (in the UK) are good....
  • Jonah, your blog comments aren't working for me, so I'll note here - your latest emusic column headlines mention Lucian Ban, but the body does not - editing typo?
  • edited September 2013
    I noticed that last night and put in an edit request. The Lucian Ban synopsis should show up by this afternoon, as well as a couple other little fixes on the column.

Here's what the Lucian Ban synopsis says...

Lucian Ban - Mystery

The music of pianist Lucian Ban has a strange beauty. Not exactly conventional, and not exactly beyond the fringes. Recent collaborations with violist Mat Maneiri, both as a duo and as part of a larger ensemble, are ample evidence of my premise. On his newest, his peculiar sound meets heads with a more hard bop sound, resulting in a concoction that brings the best qualities from both. Leading a quartet that includes Abraham Burton on tenor sax, Eric McPherson on drums, and bassist John Hebert, it's music with a loud echo from the past and compelling glimpses of the future. An album that seems to keep getting better with time.

The link to the album...

http://www.emusic.com/album/lucian-ban/mystery/14381006/

My first listen to the album was that I liked it, but not crazy about it. Big leap up, however, for my second listen, and each subsequent ones. Really enjoying it now.

Cheers.
  • That's interesting Jonah - I stopped my hold yesterday, so looked at this week's Jazz Picks an hour or so again and this album is nowhere to be seen. But the link above works and I am downloading as I type!
  • "Name your price" - (email required)
    a0153545227_2.jpg

- Oh boy oh boy !
  • edited January 2014
    Wow, thanks BN. Those with any interest should note this is not the "usual" label sampler...rather, they are live performances from a recent series of concerts. Really looking forward to digging in to this!
    "I was very, very pleased to be contacted by John Zorn and offered the opportunity to book his amazing music space "The Stone" for two weeks in November. The Stone is a great listening space with good sound, comfortable chairs and great music seven nights per week! There are two separate shows per night with a different act at each show and a separate admission to each show. Every cent of your admission money goes to the artists."
    - Steve Feigenbaum, Cuneiform Owner/Founder
  • Doofy, I don't think so - some times I checked look like studio version, plus the Lacy/Rudd was not during that series. :)
  • Well, it was a nice dream anyway. All right, it is "the usual" label sampler, but not the usual label...!
  • Yes, I'm almost 100% certain that it isn't a concert sampler. Cuneiform has another sampler, and I was originally under the impression that it was, in fact, a concert sampler, and I began constructing a column around it. Because I, too, thought that was a neat idea, and I was going to build a bunch of tiny reviews of the studio albums around the live free tracks of each band. But then Cuneiform told me that they were, in fact, studio tracks from the albums themselves.

But, agreed, that doesn't detract from these very nifty samplers from this very nifty label.
  • edited January 2014
    Its definitely not live recordings.

- This is where this Last.fm thing comes in handy, you can very easily check which albums the different tracks comes from, and the ones i checked has the exact same duration as the album versions.

- For someone like me it's a great opportunity to get aquainted with some of the Cuneiform artists.

Oh, and there's more:
    a0315506072_2.jpg a0268840018_2.jpg

- Also "name your price" and for the most part recycled tracks from "the Stone" comp.
  • edited February 2014
    a0739594463_2.jpg

The cover says it all! I am sure most people will find something here they like. Well worth my £1.20 plus probably as much again in currency conversion!!
  • edited September 2014
    a0114736535_2.jpg
    releases 15 September 2014
    Jordan Smart saxophone
    Nick Smart piano
    Jesse Barrett drums and tabla

- Two excellent tracks available for streaming . . .
  • INRE: Mammal Hands Animalia- I believe that's only the second release on Gondwana Records that doesn't involve Matthew Halsall or Nat Birchall (GoGo Penguin was the first).

Cheers.
  • Note: It's really amazing how the jazz landscape at Bandcamp has changed over the years. It used to be kind of a wasteland for jazz options; now it's practically a first option for musicians. Pretty cool.
  • a2322823539_2.jpg

Sort of jazz
  • a4154238110_2.jpg

Built Like A Brick Shithouse by Henderson, Mettler, Foisy, Lachance

Nice free jazz quartet. NYOP.

Sorry for the double post; I had to because I don't think I've ever punched at this hurricane yet.
  • edited December 2014
    Composer/oboist Kyle Bruckmann's new Wrack album: ...Awaits Silent Tristero's Empire

a2534355354_2.jpg

Kyle Bruckmann's long running avant chamber ensemble returns with the core lineup of Bruckmann (oboe, english horn), Jason Stein (bass clarinet), Jen Clare Paulson (viola), Anton Hatwich (bass), and Tim Daisy (percussion) joined by Darren Johnston (trumpet) and Jeb Bishop (trombone). …Awaits Silent Tristero's Empire is a sprawling, kaleidoscopic “musical phantasmagoria” inspired by the novels of Thomas Pynchon, anchored by instrumental settings of fictional song lyrics found in V., The Crying of Lot 49, and Gravity’s Rainbow. It is made possible with support from Chamber Music America's 2012 New Jazz Works: Commissioning and Ensemble Development program funded through the generosity of the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation, and was premiered at the Outsound New Music Summit.

released 22 April 2014

Kyle Bruckmann - oboe
    Jason Stein - bass clarinet
    Darren Johnston - trumpet
    Jeb Bishop - trombone
    Tim Daisy - drums
    Jen Clare Paulson - viola
    Anton Hatwich - bass

tags: experimental thomas pynchon creative music electroacoustic free improvisation free jazz improvised music Oakland
  • I began a Bird is the Worm bandcamp page and wishlisted albums that I've recommended on my site...

http://bandcamp.com/BirdIsTheWorm

It's by no means anywhere close to being complete, but over time, I'll keep adding albums that have been reviewed on my site or recommended via my Wondering Sound/17 Dots columns.
  • Thanks Jonah - a really useful list.
  • Welcome back Jonah and thanks for this, look forward to going through this
  • Thanks, glad to be back.

I do need to be more diligent about updating that Bandcamp page.  Once I find a way to work it into my daily schedule (y'know, something like, hey, while listening to these albums, go update your Bandcamp page in another window), I'll populate my page with a much larger representation of my site's recommendations.

Speaking of Bandcamp, this new release by Sunna Gunnlaugs is available at NYOP for only today (3/12/16)....

Sunna Gunnlaugs - "Reykjavík (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)"

I've only listened to the first two tracks, and they both sounded pretty great.  And besides, I'm not sure I've ever heard anything bad by Gunnlaugs, so this is a pretty safe bet.

Here's the link to her Bandcamp page.

Cheers.