What are you listening to right now? (part 4)

edited February 2011 in General

Comments

• 892398170-1.jpg

- Grandisimo !
  • 3716804898-1.jpg

Electrogazer band from Houston (as opposed to Houston, who are from East Rutherford, NJ, as opposed to Eastern Europe, which is where the Slovak Republic is).

This is starting to grow on me a little bit....
  • edited February 2011
    Low+-+Things+We+Lost+in+the+Fire.jpg

low -- things we lost in the fire

just learned -- to a degree -- to play whore on guitar this morning. it's the drop-D part that scares me. i figure i'll never be able to tune the low string back to "e." the song is dark and gorgeous (even if the darkness is lightened by that lightly-strummed D7).
  • just learned -- to a degree -- to play whore on guitar this morning. it's the drop-D part that scares me. i figure i'll never be able to tune the low string back to "e." the song is dark and gorgeous (even if the darkness is lightened by that lightly-strummed D7).
    I assume you've never played mandolin before. Keeping them in tune after dropping one or more strings is simply impossible, probably because of the combined tension of the eight strings. Even the octave mandolin get wonky if I try something too fancy or if I don't put the capo on nice and flush with the fretboard.
  • edited February 2011
    i've only played guitar, bass and piano (all very -- very -- poorly). drop D on the guitar is common, stretching all the way back to classical pieces; iirc, much of bach's pieces require drop D on guitar.
  • confessions.jpg
    A new projected series of releases on Chinstrap is music & sound-design of interest extracted from public-domain films. Not claiming to be the definitive packaging of the music and sound enclosed, we rather present the work for the possibility of further investigation into the composers and sound-designers featured.

Albert Zugsmith's "Confessions of an Opium Eater" is a strange, flawed, but ultimately fascinating film, a truly weird adventure story which sees Vincent Price attempting to free trafficked women in Chinatown, smoking a healthy dose of opium along the way. The score, by incredibly prolific B-movie composer Albert Glasser, combines classically-tinged orchestral music with elements of jazz & rock'n'roll, traditional chinese music, electronic polyrhythmic pulses, and theremins. We are also served up some delightfully strange monologues from the dulcet tones of Vincent Price, in the midst of a very, very bad opium trip. The sound design is equally peculiar and disorientating, awash with ear piercing screams of smuggled Chinese ladies, squawking parrots, a myriad crashes and bashes, running water, and creaking ships.
  • Ok, I won't post the exact same cover right after Brighternow, however, after reading that description I queued it up immediately. I see great promise in this series. My dogs get so excited by the gal screaming I've had to turn it down.

Soundtrack fans might be interested in Morricone Youth on EVR The show's on Sunday 2-4 pm. I usually download the 'streaming', archive for iPod listening.
  • edited February 2011
    100015.jpg
  • edited February 2011
    Dr. Mutex,
    - This one is very good and very funny:
    COVER-ART-PLUSHweb.jpg

BTW: the Chinstrap Netlabel curator Ergo Phizmiz has some pretty strange stuff on Emusic.
  • edited February 2011
    @BN
    A few of those emusic samples put me in mind of The Bonzo Dog Do Dah Band.
    You're prompting me to get my vinyl out and fire up the turntable again, which I haven't done for many a year.
    I'll be grabbing that one for sure, thanks for the rec.
  • edited February 2011
    519J5B4G61L._SS500_.jpg
  • edited February 2011
    I stumbled across an unusual combination, a mandolin quartet--mandolin, violin, viola and cello--called the Luna Nova Quartet. The samples on their site are mainly classical compositions (and a Godfather medley) and are very good. The videos on their YouTube channel, though, are more country/bluegrass/folk, with the same instruments but also with some singing, and they're just wonderful.
  • 4141389387-1.png
    Casper Bangs - I Woke Up
    NYOP
    Rec from the Bandcamp thread. Thanks ScissorMan.
  • edited February 2011
    @Brighternow: I've bumped into Ergo Phizmiz before, in collaborations with People Like Us.
    192 free tracks from Ergo Phizmiz at Free Music Archive.
  • edited February 2011
    - My goodness ! , thanks Doc.

300x300.jpg
    Nigel Ayers & Randy Greif - Build A Poison Fire Soleilmoon Recordings 1999

"Almost glittering dreamscapes...organic electronics, scrambling cold toeholds into some of the more vertiginous areas of non-linear music."
    --Vital.
  • AntonioVivaldi-LuteConcertos-5_thumb.jpg?cnt=0
    Thanks, BT.
    Then I saw the words "in the same vein as" and "Alva Noto", so now:
    neige.jpeg
    Thanks, BN.
  • edited February 2011
    Streaming the new Deaf Center @ Soundcloud:
    artworks-000004577882-b9hz0w-crop.jpg?1aa8fb

"Clouds Forever Watching" is out of this world !
  • edited February 2011
    Recommended:
    - The free daily download from Innova Records:
    155x155.jpg
  • 3631049412-1.jpg
    My daughter calls this, "The best robot album ever" and I am inclined to agree. Thanks to everyone rec'ing it.
  • edited February 2011
    51%2BcqI7%2BFkL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

An Aural Symboitic Mystery by Charlemange Palestine and Tony Conrad--52 minutes of minimalist piano, distorted pianos, screeching strings, and chanting. It doesn't really get going for 23 minutes, still enough time for some great music. Moreover, it's 89 cents at Amazon--the best buck I've spent on a single track of music since Spring Heel Jack.
  • 51D86nBlNeL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    Interesting...
  • 51ZVnxzpUxL._SS500_.jpg
    Thanks to Bad Thoughts for finding this, very enjoyable.
  • 41ZRTSKl5AL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    Children by the million sing for Alex Chilton when he comes 'round
    They sing "I'm in love. What's that song?
    I'm in love with that song."
    -The Replacements
  • 100240.jpg
    Really enjoying these, RIYL James Blackshaw.
  • edited February 2011
    A worthy candidate for a top ten list of my eMu downloads:

300x300.jpg

- Includes a wonderful rendition of Pink Floyd's "Set the controls for the heart of the sun" (Sunset - For The Control Of The Heart)
    Rusted Sorrow Of The Old Crane @ Youtube
This discussion has been closed.