Great Expectations: musicisgood.org is a go!

Comments

• @Craig - I've just looked at my latest article, and one of the album covers towards the end isn't showing properly - am I able to edit it? If not, here is an alternative url for it: http://images.emusic.com/music/images/album/120/908/12090868/300x300.jpeg
  • Fixed Greg. Not sure what the issue there was. I tried to put in the new link, but it still didn't insert, so I just inserted the photo without the img tags.

Craig
  • Thanks Craig
  • I submitted my draft of "Music that has influenced me" for editorial review. I included a line at the top referencing the series, but feel free to change as needed.
  • I'm performing and jamming at so many special events that I won't have anything completed for a week.
  • Thanks kez! I'll take a look.

No biggie BT. This is a fun thing, so contribute when you can.

Craig
  • I've just written a rough draft of a review of the Hibernate/Home Normal Christmas album - it's too late here to finish it up now and I have an early start tomorrow, but if all goes according to plan I'll get it uploaded for review tomorrow.
  • Just added musicisgood.org to Google Reader, which will deliver each post to my iPad on Flipboard. Hope this will help me catch up in the weeks ahead, although the rate you guys are going it may be months...
  • @Doofy, there will be a test...
  • @Craig - I just edited my draft since I noticed there was a missing word in a sentence. I noticed a later version edited by you, but I made my changes on my earlier revision. I hope I haven't confused things too much. Maybe you can do an easy comparison of the two versions (I hope?).
  • I downloaded a visitor statistic widget to BitW, as well as a widget bundle that allow readers to get an email subscription to my blog, use all those social media sites I never use like facebook and google+, as well as twitter out posts they like on the site. Added a widget for spam blocking (standard, probably already on MiG), added widget that also has a print button command, some other widgets in the bundle that I didn't activate or altered the settings as to make them pretty useless except under specific circumstances that suited my whims. Toyed with the appearance. Toying with the idea of how much I want to fill in the columns on the blog, got a widget that will make it easy to fill them in if I choose.

Happy to share what I've learned with Dr. Admin.

I spend more time in html view than visual. It makes me feel all badass.
  • I added a plug-in that allows me to organize my media library. It creates categories in which to put various album covers and others media, which then get stores in their respective folders and which I'm able to sort and filter by in the main library room. It's called "Media Library Categories".

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/media-library-categories/

I'm finding it helpful right now. It would be nice if WP gave more flexibility in this, but I think this plugin is gonna work for me. Before I began using it, my media library was a friggin' mess.
  • Also, I got my first spammer yesterday, so now I know for certain the intertubes know I exist.
  • Hey, does anybody have any questions about embedding youtube videos or audio players so that people can listen to the music on the same screen they read your article on? I can help. It took me a hot minute to figure things out, but it's pretty automatic for me now.
  • Kez - Not an issue. I'd started to revise, but had only gotten a couple paragraphs in when I was taken away from it. Should finish it up for posting tomorrow, though.

jonahpwll - I'd welcome a quick primer on embedding audio players. If it's more than you just posting a step-by-step instruction, though, it'll need to wait until next week. I do not currently have either a hot or cold minute due to a last minute trip to Nashville tomorrow morning.

Craig
  • It's pretty simple, but we can just wait 'til you get back.
  • Sounds good.

Craig
  • My piece titled 'When Ambient Gets Festive" is now posted and ready for review.
  • I lied: not only do I have a new draft, it's also (arguably) appropriate for the holidays: a little opinion piece on "Fairytale of New York." If anyone cares to peruse it ...
  • Kez - Article looks good! I just cleaned up some album title italics and fixed a couple minor misspellings. It'll go up tomorrow.

I'll take a look at the others as time allows today.

FYI for folks, as I mentioned I'm out of town this weekend so I likely won't be able to post the new links on Facebook as quickly as I usually do. So I'll either get to them as time allows or if someone else wants to be an admin for the Facebook page and do that, let me know.

Craig
  • Both GP and BT's articles have some editorial questions posted to them.

Craig
  • Thanks, Craig. I made the changes you recommended, but it's still not quite ready. Any one else is welcome to tear it apart.
  • @Craig - thanks for the editorial cleanup. On preview, I noticed the CD cover image of Somewhere Near Paterson has been omitted immediately following the sentence, "Back home on the other side of the Atlantic, I discovered with this album how great folk music of the troubadours can be:" I wasn't sure if this was intentional, but if so, it seems to make better sense to drop the words "with this album," or else leave the sentence as is and add the CD cover image so you know what "with this album" refers to.

There was only one other very minor change I was going to make for accuracy's sake - delete the word "solitary" from the paragraph discussing the French film soundtrack CD. At the time I wrote that, I was thinking there was only one vocal track on the CD, but when I went back to check I see there are actually two vocal tracks. Would you mind deleting that word "solitary" for me?

Thanks.
  • kez - I didn't touch any pictures so I'm not sure why that image isn't there. In any event I fixed both spots.

Craig
  • Thanks, Craig.
  • Thanks, Craig, I fixed the awkward sentence.
  • @Craig - Greg pointed out an error about Kate Rusby that I had in my "Music that has influenced me" piece, which I fixed. When I updated, it kicked it back to 'pending review.' Maybe I should have let the editors do the fix. Sorry.
  • I've made some changes to the "Fairytale" post, enough that it should have another read through (if anyone is up for it)>
  • BT - just read your Christmas piece on the blog. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Really, great, great, great! So glad you took the time to write it. I know you've been plenty busy these days.

(P.S. I'm one of those Americans who has never heard the song "Fairytale in New York." Thanks for the enlightenment.)
  • Thanks, Kez. I'm surprised that you have never heard the song. Among the things that have helped me to appreciate the Pogues like never before are my conversations with you, greg, BigD, etc, here and at eMusic.