Great Expectations: musicisgood.org is a go!

Comments

• Thanks! Hate to see you idle - I just posted the second piece for review. Feel free to delay it a couple of days to space things out - let me know when it goes up and I'll notify 12k.

MiG conscience eased for a little while!
  • I'll let you know when it goes up. Probably sometime mid to late in the week.

Craig
  • At last - I've submitted something.
  • edited November 2012
    Okay, I think I'm about to begin submitting a bunch of things, but first I want to run it by you guys first to be sure it's something you actually want on the site.

The theme for a series I'm going to write is "reviews" of albums I like to listen to first thing in the morning. I had a snappy title for it, but it's first thing in the morning right now and I can't remember what it is. It will be a mix of jazz and non-jazz reviews.

Except, it won't necessarily be reviews, and that's what I wanted to be sure was okay with you guys before submitting...

I'm still struggling to find my music writing voice. One of the struggles is in reconciling the music writing voice with the gravitational pull of my fiction writing voice. Those two together make for very blog-y style of writing. And I'm cool with that. In fact, I'm hoping that I can get better at merging those two styles for my own site. The reason I almost never read jazz reviews is because they're often so antiseptic of personal voice (with exceptions, of course). However, this morning series will be about me as much as it is about the music, so it might not be something you guys are looking to have represented on MiG.

And if not, I am totally cool with that and understanding of it. No hard feelings if you're looking for entries that aren't quite as blog-y.

An okay example would be the post I made last night for the Benedict Jahnel "Equilibrium"...

http://www.birdistheworm.com/benedikt-jahnel-trio-equilibrium/

It's actually sort of a poorly written thing... I needed to put something up on my site at the last minute and I cobbled that together real quick... but you'll get the sense of what I'm talking about. I would actually cross-post that one (with a few changes) on MiG. I would also cross-post an earlier one I made on two Ketil Bjornstad albums (which is much better written)...

http://www.birdistheworm.com/musician/ketil-bjornstad/

Other albums in the series would be from Message From Bears, Disinterested, Marcin Wasilewski, Wayne Horvitz, Bill Frisell, Nils Frahm, and so on.

Anyways, that's my question. Thoughts?

Also, I'll be submitting this week (I hope) a review of the Noordpool Orchestra's new release of renditions of Radiohead songs.

Cheers.
  • I like those pieces and would certainly have no problem with you submitting that kind of material. It would be a great addition.
  • Sounds great to me, Jonah - i look forward to reading the reviews
  • Nereffid's most recent is now live.

Craig
  • Sounds great to me, Jonah.

On a different subject - I had in the back of my head that MiG's one-year anniversary was coming up real soon and thinking it would be neat to do something with that. But, lo and behold, I see now the date slipped me by. Our first post was November 10, 2011. Well, Happy Belated Anniversary, MiG!
  • Was it really? Wow, totally slipped my mind.

Craig
  • Me too! It does not seem a year.....
  • Craig,

Could you check your embedded soundcloud audio on the Free Mix Tapes article. I'm getting some fail notices.

Cheers.
  • P.S. Oh my god, that Husker Du article is fantastic!
  • Sent out a couple tweets (Tricente, Italy and Husker Du). Will send out two more tomorrow.
  • Thanks jonah. The original versions must have been removed. I've put up new ones.

And thanks for the comment (and Tweet!) on the Husker. I had a lot of fun doing that one.

Craig
  • Best spam comment ever?
    My spouse and I stumbled over here different website and thought I should check things out.

I like what I see so now i am following you. Look forward
    to going over your web page yet again.
    furniture

I think so.

furniture

Craig
  • It was a pretty middling spam comment, until I saw that they signed off as 'furniture,' and that shot it up to the top of the list.

Nice.

Furniture,

Dave
  • And a potential meme was born...
    Great stuff.
    Furniture, y'all.
  • OK, Craig, I think my top 20 piece is ready to go.
    Furniture.
  • My 'best-of' piece has been submitted and is ready for review.

I just noticed both GP and Craig titled their list as "Top 20 of 2012". Can somebody change my title to be consistent? I didn't notice that until after I had submitted it.
  • I'll change it kez. I'll probably give GP's a couple more days at the top of the list, though, before I post it.

Furniture.
  • Thanks, Craig. Good decision on the timing. I also was thinking that GP's piece should stay at the top for a while longer and would have held off submitting mine, but mainly I just wanted to get it submitted and off my plate. I hope my hard returns held.
  • It seems like they hold as long as long nothing in the body of the piece is adjusted. So if I have to edit for you I may have some returns to make, but I'm sure I can figure it out.

Craig
  • I'm going to be writing a review of tonight's Prince show. I've actually already written the introduction to it so I can knock it out pretty quickly. That is assuming my brain doesn't melt from the awesomeness of the Purple Yoda.

Unfortunately, no cameras are allowed, but they seem to be giving out tickets so I can scan that to add a visual element.

Craig
  • You mean you are not going to make drawings?
  • I don't have nearly that level of artistic ability!

Craig
  • Maybe not, but I'll wager the rest of us would still enjoy the results :-)
  • kez - Sorry to not let your Top 20 be at the top for longer. My review was just time sensitive. I hope you don't mind too much.

Craig
  • My best of the year is now done. I managed to add a new entry into the top 10 just this morning, so it's probably best that I stop now.

I know I had a long time at the top with my last article, so I have no problems with being held back a while, or being shunted down quickly by something newer.
  • I don't mind at all, Craig. By the way, your Prince review was a very entertaining read!
  • Thanks kez!

Nereffid - I'll get your post up on Tuesday.

Craig