What are you listening to right now? (Number 9, number 9...)

Comments

• 300x300.jpg
    FNS - Selftitled

- "Oslo based musician FNS aka Fredrik Ness Sevendal. A veteran of the Oslo experimental scene, Sevendal has been associated with several bands over the years: DEL, Slowburn and Kobi. Additionally his previous work has involved collaborations with Makoto Kawabata (Acid Mothers Temple), Mitsuru Tabata (Zeni Geva, Marble Sheep), Mark Francombe (ex-Cranes guitarist), and Bill Wood (1/3 Octave Band).

For his Miasmah debut, FNS treats us to a spectacular excursion into the world of psych-folk instrumentals, with a collection of semi-improvised multi-layered pieces, primarily for acoustic and electric guitar and voice. These lo-fi home recordings capture a sense of astral travel, though explorations into drone, raga-styled melodies and layers of guitar feedback. The immediate allure of FNS’s spectral sound is in the understated nature of the performances – it recalls the magnetic interplay between Tom & Christina Carter’s work in Charalambides, the playful free noise of Sunburned Hand Of The Man, the ethereal blues of Loren Connors, and a variety of subtle but undeniable influences from the 70’s progressive UK folk scene.

FNS’s sound is a sorrowful sound – a death-fuzz, a hazy wailing wall of cavernous guitars, doom-freakout and swirling psychedelia, melded into one then drowned in echo and haze. FNS fires forth cosmic transmissions for the mind and spirit…the result, is nothing short of an aural treat.

- Miasmah 2010.
  • @amclark: cool. I have some of their later albums. I love Gypsy Brass.

on another note, they seem to be barely on Emu anymore.
  • 300x300.jpg

Thanks for the reminder, BN.
  • 61esKohpKYL._SS500_.jpg

"God is not on our side because he hates idiots also."
  • 300x300.jpg

Not really my kind of thing...but charming me somewhat nonetheless.
  • edited April 2012
    3146613968-1.jpg
    Just a Glimpse - (Debacle Records 2011)

- "Nick Maturo and Ryan Connelly exploded out of Montreal last year with no less than 10 tapes of hazy guitar/synth drones. Just a Glimpse finds the duo experimenting with shorter edits and more diverse song-forms than their sidelong tape experiments. Picking a concept out of a jam and distilling it down to its purest part. Making feints and nods towards past heroes like Eno and Shulze but keeping pace with modern masters such as Tim Hecker and Emeralds."
    - Emusic.
  • 3162841977-1.jpg

Free at BC.
  • 3162841977-1.jpg

Thanks BT
  • edited April 2012
    300x300.jpg
  • edited April 2012
    603226214-1.jpg

See Bandcamp Jazz thread - thanks Jonah
  • 41Ak5WMBJTL._SX300_.jpg

The more I listen, the more I think this is one Of my top, if not the top, album for me from last year. He out hypnagogic's all the kids.
  • 5141RTVfx8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

She has been good as a judge on The Voice so I thought I should listen to her music, so I've borrowed this from my library
  • R-908739-1174693760.jpeg

Lamborghini Crystal - 1992 Cool Runnings
  • 300x300.jpg

The winner and still champeen
  • 51IuWtO9LbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

In memory of Andrew Love of the Memphis Horns - RIP
  • Oumou Sangare - Seya
  • edited April 2012
    B.C. streaming:
    3563010242-1.jpg

ETA: OMG !
  • Disc 1 of Dinah Washington - Eight Classic Albums - picked it up at Amazon last week for about $2.08/album for the 4 CD set which I think is allreet.
  • 6121DRk0d1L._SS500_.jpg

Been an all-Pete Seeger afternoon for me. I thought it was Earth Day so I got all hippie.
  • edited April 2012
    300x300.jpg

Ian Boddy - Exit Strategy
  • edited April 2012
    610gjB4wpzL._SX300_.jpg

65daysofstatic - The Destruction of Small Ideas

GP, I could see you liking this, if you're in a post-rock mood.
  • @amclark2 thanks, I'll add it to the lengthening queue...:-) Went on spotify and fought my way past the Madonna ad (why do they need to advertise things everyone knows about?) to check out some things from the hymns thread and somehow got distracted into Ian Boddy's back catalog (!).
  • Streaming at BC:
    1963728993-1.jpg
    The Restoration's Constance is a multi-generational cautionary tale, told through historical fiction. Set between the late 1800s and 1930s in Lexington, South Carolina, Constance focuses on the fictional Constance Owen, an unrealized musical prodigy born to poor cotton farmers several years after the American Civil War.

Her eventual union with Aaron Vale, a carpenter and musician of mixed race from Chicago, and the birth of their son, Thomas, plants a seed of discriminative hate in the surrounding community, bringing about the bankrupting of her family by the affluent Palmers, the related death of her husband, and the burying of her creative aspirations. Years later, Thomas' nihilistic vengeance against the Palmers sets off a cataclysmic series of violent events, as the South and the rest of the world plunge into the Great Depression.
  • edited April 2012
    300x300.jpg

With thanks to Doofy.
  • 41d-LJTt5mL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thanks, Kez. That hymn thread is certainly taking me on a merry tour of genres.
This discussion has been closed.