What are you listening to right now? (Number 9, number 9...)

Comments

• Bin ikh gehackte leber?

41M34WTQ0BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    Disc 2
  • edited April 2012
    @BT, just searched for that Nashville Bluegrass band album on spotify and rdio, no joy. Now watching the curious video at the Saint John Coltrane church site...interesting! "Thoughts-deeds-vibrations-etc." Indeed.
  • 300x300.jpg
    Portico Quartet - S/T

- "The brooding, fuzzy glitch-jazz of opener Window Seat sets the mood for the nine tracks that follow, one that is in turns soothing and deeply unsettling. Ruins sounds like a progressive version of The XX, further confirming Portico's assimilation of electronic influences...Rubidium is an eight-minutes and more mini-epic that builds from its seductive Afrobeat-cum-horn intro into a scuttling, euphoric noise. Equally uplifting is the hypnotic, beat-filled Lacker Boo and the rich, evocative City of Glass. Steepless...offers a moment of genuine pop accessibility on an album that is otherwise an exercise in sheer musical abandonment. Listen without prejudice."
    - Real World Records.
  • @BT - did you notice that Josh Maxey is following MiG on twitter?
  • He's following me too. Makes me feel like I should actually tweet something.

Craig
  • 41Dj9jdJ9HL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    Free sampler from Amazon UK - I won't put on Free Music thread as so few here will be able to get it
  • edited April 2012
    2263433135-1.jpg
  • edited May 2012
    300x300.jpg
  • Just finished Disc 1 of Bud Powell - Eight Classic Albums, another 4 CD set I picked up at Amazon for $15 something. Really good stuff, trio and small combo. A find and a keeper.
  • 3987724249-1.jpg

Thanks, Brighternow, so far this is indeed rather interesting.
  • edited April 2012
    - Welcome . . .

61OnZx06ZkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    - One of his best . . .
  • 41wv7vMcJTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    Just finished. As good as it is, it's awful driving music.
  • edited April 2012
    Ben Frost - By the Throat
    3592703544-1.jpg

Fucking great every time I hear it. I'm forever in brighternow's debt for introducing me to Frost back when Theory of Machines came out. I'm perpetually in the market for stuff like this: edgy sonic coolness, beauty, and menace all in one. Astrowind's Der Leuchtturm is in that vein, and I like it very much. (I haven't checked out much other Astrowind - some that I have lack the edginess of Der Leuchtturm - any listeners here know which of the others harkens closest in that respect?) Anyway, if those albums specifically sonically remind you of others I may not know, gimme a yell.
  • Heavy Sugar - The Pure Essence of New Orleans R&B - still available at eMu, and still $4.40. Great comp. I still search on occasion for the couple of Fantastic Voyage sets that got away when eMu yanked them precipitously.
  • 13355_medium.jpg?1309269836

Fieldhead - Long Train Journeys.

Free download from Gizeh records. Rather nice. Worth a listen if you like, say, Erik Skodvin or From the Mouth of the Sun.
  • edited April 2012
    51xrMlHfAEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • 300x300.jpg

Noah Creshevsky:
    - "Creshevsky's music is cosmopolitan and streetwise post-modern expression. I do not exaggerate when I say that I have never heard anything like Creshevsky's music before. If you're up for an aural adventure, here's your ticket."
    (Josh Mailman, American Record Guide)

If,Bwana:
    - "If, Bwana is some sort of evil genius working with raw materials which are never adapted to a genre or a context, because they create one in that very moment. Those sources are radically altered up to an utterly unrecognizable state, anarchic manifestations moving in compact determination."
    (Massimo Ricci, Touching Extremes)
    Pogus Productions 2008
  • edited April 2012
    @kargatron, have you listened to Aidan Baker's Liminoid/Lifeforms? It's not quite the same thing as the Frost (it's not as heavy), so this is a hesitant rec, but something in your description of Frost made me think of it. And it's one of those that blows me away each time I listen to it.
  • 51jvKLibTQL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

TBT's new one that popped up on mtraks last week. I'd heard in an interview that they made a conscious decision to go for warmer sounds this time, and they have succeeded. On my first listen, though, it does seem to cost them some of the speed that made them extra interesting to me. So at this point the album doesn't quite stack up to the first couple, but after a couple more listens? Who knows.

Craig
  • edited April 2012
    61P%2BcYZxsLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
This discussion has been closed.