What are you listening to right now? (Number 9, number 9...)

Comments

• 41tTdalBmeL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

William Basinski - The Disintegration Loops

Much to my surprise these showed up on mtraks. They are beautiful and sad.

Earlier I listened to:

51-GrpNs2GL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Prince Rama - Utopia = No Person

This one will take a few more listens to get a handle on.

Craig
  • Just streaming thorough Bandcamp: The Lowland Hundred 1st release Under Cambrain Skies.

Very haunting with fine field recording extracts
  • 51HLpxpyEDL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

s / s / s - Beak & Claw

Took a chance on this 4 track EP collaboration of Sufjan Stevens, composer Son Lux, and rapper Serengeti (and featuring a guest appearance by Shara Worden to add another 's'). It doesn't work. At all.

Craig
  • Has Sufjan officially quit the whole 50 States thing? I mean, he's 36, and he's still got 48 states left to go, unless you count that BQE thing for NY, which seems poor, but that's still 47; at one a year that would make him 83...
  • He officially quit it. He mentioned when Age of Adz came out that it was never a real goal.

Craig
  • Just finished:
    220px-EverybodyKnowsThisIsNowhere.jpg

Starting:
    51uuphrCILL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    Disc 1
  • 51lwsaK%2BR5L._SX300_.jpg

Disappointing. (Sufjan that is; I don't have enough expectations for Drake to be disappointing; sounds good so far though. Worth the $.25 I paid already.)
  • edited April 2012
    It doesn't work. At all.
    Maybe we should have a 'What Are You Never Listening to Again?' thread.

41SBPPM1GBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    I need a keyboard script that inserts the text, 'Glad I grabbed all that Prestige stuff when I had the chance.'
  • Yeah. Wish I grabbed more Prestige stuff when I had the chance. I wasted a lot of 90 credit a month months on indie rock that I will hardly ever listen to again.
  • Aren't some of the large, cheap Jazz collections that we've been pointing out just several Prestige albums bundled together?
  • 2048878853-1.jpg
    Live Choro. Pleasant. Free.
  • edited April 2012
    amclark2 - I was disappointed too. I certainly didn't think he'd get all the way through 50 states, but it was such an interesting project. As for the Drake album, it is pretty good. Not as good as some of the reviews it got, though.

Doofy - I may well listen to it a time or two again. It's only about 18 minutes long, so it may be worth seeing if it grows on me. The fact that almost all of Sufjan's vocals are autotuned to death, however, makes that unlikely.

31DHPC7ugmL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Dylan Ettinger - Lifetime of Romance

This album I like. Very 80s electronic. I hear a lot of Art of Noise and Kraftwerk influence, but there is also some obvious elements of bands like The Cure. ETA: Some Factory sound as well.

Craig
  • 31MizVE0sRL._SX300_.jpg

Sun Araw - Heavy Deeds

Yeah, those box sets ... Thing is by the time a refresh comes, I've always found lots of stuff to download again; like major label retro I'll hardly ever listen to again...
  • 307271.jpg

Speranze Perdute Volume 2: Italian Folksongs, Mazurkas, Polkas and Waltzes
  • edited April 2012
    51Q3CGAFT3L._SX300_.jpg

Not that I didn't get a lot of great jazz from emu...
  • edited April 2012
    @Doofy, anti-recommendations can actually be quite useful, even if they need intersubjective verification.
    I don't think I ever really believed the 50 states thing - it sounded like something that was cool to say, but Stevens seems like a compulsive experimenter, how could he ever have sustained the attention span? (And who does have a 5 decade attention span?)

51rZT45YgYL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

ETA: missed sale here. This is quite nice. But not $9 nice. For $5-6 I would quite likely have bought it, even without listening to the whole thing, and would have quite enjoyed it. For $9 I give it a spin on spotify and decide it's nice, but not that nice.
  • Re; attention span, while admittedly the alphabet's only about half the number of states, Sue Grafton has spent 30 years getting from A to V, which I think is admirable. But she was born in the 40's, not in the 70's. Us born in the 70's have very short att
  • @amclark2, there's evidence that even the whole history of classical music failed to complete the whole alphabet.
  • That's because they only really have A through G to work with.
  • edited April 2012
    2569422068-1.jpg
    Hanetration - Tenth Oar EP
    - "No hesitation here – go and download this now! This is a very exciting debut from Hanetration full of unusual and well mixed sound combinations and very worthy of the 24 minutes of your time that it will take to listen to the full EP."
    - Savaran Music and Sound.
  • Currently:
    51EsFvi%2B%2BeL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

To be followed by (thanks to CWOO):
    51WTOr99EBL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
  • 413wtxJl6WL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Then

31E4qUXugIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

and I think I'm going to pick up Chessa in the 12k sale. I find Shuttle358's music immensely calming.
  • edited April 2012
    51xrMlHfAEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Played this again in the car this morning, and liking it more. Borrowed from the library just on the strength of his name - I assume he is related??

I go along with Doofy's idea of a thread on muisc we are no longer playing - I've got plenty to add!!
  • Enland Keep My Bones by Frank Turner

Could anyone help me by letting me know how to put cover artwork here
  • kezkez
    edited April 2012
    @Lowlife, I usually get album art from Amazon's page by left clicking on the image and click on properties, then copy the jpg file description. Paste the jpg description in between "bracket img close bracket" and "bracket/img close bracket" with no spaces
This discussion has been closed.