What are you listening to right now? (Number 9, number 9...)

Comments

• Lowlife,

like this: {img}http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51GrcbxDuPL._SX300_.jpg{/img}, but replace {these} with [these], like so:

51GrcbxDuPL._SX300_.jpg
  • 51T4URfkv7L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Holy crap this is good. Even better than Leave Home I think, and I really liked that album.

Craig
  • 600x600.jpg

New from Loudon Wainwright III. Good album, very introspective, heartbreaking. If you are a bit depressed, this one might just send you over the edge. Grab eMu free song of the day.
  • @amclark and cafreema: Sad about Sufjan too. Also sad about his most recent album. It's difficult to listen to often. The EP before it though is catchy.
  • Lowlife it is even easier using Safari. Right click on the image and go to Copy Image Address, and just paste in as others say

410sLGezKeL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
  • Finished:
    3653045704-1.jpg

Starting:
    51%2BI1adNWGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • edited April 2012
    51xtMxFPZHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    51VUzI7W1nL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Seeking higher consciousness/trying to get some work out the door this Friday afternoon.

I recently got "Love Devotion Surrender" on CD cheap at Amazon. Excited to find out that's Larry Young (credited as Khalid Yasin) on organ...I guess he was playing with Santana at the time??
  • 4120841752-1.jpg

Working my way through the Futuresequence samplers....
  • edited April 2012
    I finished the Future Sequence samplers last week - felt like an achievement to actually listen to everything at least once. Some really nice stuff in there I want to go back to and distill out into manageable sized albums.

2621206339-1.jpg

Many thanks, BN, really enjoying this. More than that, I was quite thirsty for discovering something new and suprising, not on my SFL and wishlisted/sampled/strategized into premature boredom, that I might be tempted to buy on emusic. If the opening tracks are a guide, this could be that album.

ETA, indeed, this was timely refreshment for this weary soul on a late-semester Friday afternoon.
  • 61vS6CEKjlL._SS500_.jpg

Started Wharf Rat at 4:20. Does this make me a bad person?
  • Just finished:
    51TIoR9%2BqLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • edited April 2012
    3503124080-1.jpg

More from clapping music. This is fun too; more poppy.

ETA, especially enjoyed tracks 1 and 12.
  • edited April 2012
    300x300.jpg

ETA: Well, I had a quick listen to some short samples of this when it came out and got the impression that it was not for me. Just got the time to give whole tracks a proper listen on Rdio, and it's just gorgeous. Very, very sparse and delicate and meditative. This has been an afternoon of delightful discoveries.
  • edited April 2012
    2379859610-1.jpg

Lol, just went searching for whom to thank, remembering I got this from someone on the free stuff thread. Turns out I posted it there. Advantage of middle age: you can discover the same new album more than once. Really good free album from The Caretaker.
  • Tuning in to Kargatron's "edgy sonic coolness, beauty, and menace all in one" request:

rb042_Der_Leuchtturm.jpg

Just sooooooo (insert your favourite superlative here) ! ! !
  • Bob_Dylan_scan.jpg

Spending the morning with my friend Bob.
  • 300x300.jpg

This one could become an addiction.
  • 300x300.jpg

The conversation on the hymns thread has got me reminiscing. I had totally forgotten about this - it was actually a very good album.
  • edited April 2012
    273551687-1.jpg
    34-track ambient(mostly of the melodic guitar noise variety) and post-rock compilation curated by The Future Elements blog. Free.
  • 929575447-1.jpg

Sidetracking from the comp above: Vivian by Lowercase Noises (an act GP previously recommended). Combines ambient elements with melodic acoustic and electric guitar, probably better described as Post-Rock. Free/NYOP
  • Picked this collection of early stuff at Amazon - not as hip as their later sides but still good.
    51HlrpqrnbL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
  • Just finished
    3443878691-1.jpg
    Marshall by Lowercase Noises--similar cover, different music, also Free/NYOP (both are worth the contribution)

Currently, the Dawg:
    2003_sorrow.jpg
  • CS452381-01A-BIG.jpg

really digging this. it's a woozy, electro, almost "hautological" take on country, which actually is an intriguing cross-genre pollination.

it's a "little" album, i guess, but this is a big idea.
  • edited April 2012
    300x300.jpg
    - "EKS's uncompromising aural sensibilities have been responsible for 3 decades of deviant melodic excellence, including about a dozen solid solo releases in the oughts alone. Unlike so much experimentalism today, Edward's ideas are exploratory without sounding noodley or samey, making each of his prodigious progeny worth assembling. " A Pleasure Cruise Through 9 Dimensions " successfully takes yet another left turn by presenting an album covered in concrete. Musique concrete. Edward has eschewed all song structure in favor of avant-garde soundscapes. The word "soundscapes" is almost a dirty word in most cases, but EKS attacks sound like a master sculptor, freeing unique and surprising sonic forms from the ether. He brilliantly decoupages electronics with emotional otherness, punctuated by disembodied voices that bubble up from the beyond. This is what Xenakis and Schaeffer listen to in electro-acoustic Heaven."
    - Beta-lactam Ring Records.[/b]
This discussion has been closed.