Amazon Daily mp3 Download Deals

Comments

• edited August 2012
    Add this to the dizzying array of parallel sales: 99 cent Classical. These look like collections from past EMI offerings. Some clock in at 3+ hours.

ETA: This To Best Baroque looks like Discs 1, 3, and 5 from EMI's Baroque 100.
  • looks like Discs 1, 3, and 5 from EMI's Baroque 100.
    BT, I own that and it absolutely is. Gol, that cost me $6 for that half - RIPOFF.
  • Swindleeeee!
  • Just got the Maria Callas set which looks to be Discs 2,4, and 5 of the 100 Best Maria Callas. $0.99? Sweet.
  • @bremble: thanks; a couple things there I want; esp. Europe '72. Dick's Picks vol. 8 looks mighty good to me too.
  • Best of Frank Sinatra, just 99 cents for 22 songs, mostly from the Rat Pack era. So download it already, baby...
  • Ok Craig, I've managed to narrow Dow my list of wants for the hip hop 2.99 sale to six; what about you?
  • Heh, yeah. Thankfully I already have a fair percentage of the list, but amazingly Wu-Tang has been on my "how the hell do I not have that!?!" list for quite some time. That was purchased immediately upon seeing the list this morning. Now I'm torn. The top of the list for me is Kendrick Lamar, Schoolboy Q, and Mobb Deep with about 4 others not too far behind.

If you don't have it, the Killer Mike lives up to the hype.

Craig
  • Yeah, Killer Mike was on my list, also Stankonia (had once, didn't connect with it, gave it away), Mobb Deep, Nas, Biggie and Aesop Rock. Probably won't get all six though.
  • Illmatic is phenomenal. I'd call it essential. Then again I usually tilt toward East Coast stuff anyway, so it's right in my wheelhouse.

Craig
  • Srsly, how did you not have that Wu Tang yet? You'll love it.
  • I know! It's so ridiculous that I didn't have it. I've heard it on Spotify and the like, but not enough to really get to know it. That will soon change.

Craig
  • Dick's Pick #24 (Live at the Cow Palace) for a mere $3.99 is a great deal. I am listening to it now, the band was really tight that night. Heck, most of 1974 they were excellent!
  • Gonna have to spin some of the hip-hop albums. A Tribe Called Quest is one of those groups that I really like, yet for some reason never bought. The problem is that I find too many times even hip-hop that I like never gets played.

A couple quick questions:

Should I buy Panda Bear's Tomboy for $2.99?
    And is it worth the dollar extra to get the bonus track for Tom Waits' Bad As Me?
  • Tomboy is pretty enjoyable. If you're at all an Animal Collective fan I think $2.99 is worth it.

I don't have the Waits bonus track, so can't say there.

Craig
  • Plong42, if I have always been baffled as to why people liked the Dead is that as good a place as any to take a closer look, or do you have another, better suggestion?
  • edited August 2012
    Denver, you might get the overview you're looking for in Europe '72 or, if you don't mind spending $8 for four discs, Dick's Picks 30. I have my issues with GD, mostly because they must be the most slovenly musicians on record. On paper, it's hard to argue with their credentials in terms of experimentation and roots music. Indeed, I will always give Mickey Hart credit for being one of the most creative and thoughtful drummers.

ETA: Vol. 19 is really tight, and the vocals are well placed in the mix.
  • I would start with Workingman's Dead. That has always struck me as the most accessible album for new listener. American Beauty would be next,

Perhaps a "best of" is a good idea, Skeletons from the Closet, for example, is a nice collection with the original studio version of the "hits" (Sugar Magnolia, St. Stephen, Truckin', Friend of the Devil, Casey Jones). I notice that physical copies can be had for a penny. I notice that the sale has Very Best for only $2.99, 17 tracks that are all great songs, more than Skeletons collection, with a few of the more odd songs (Estimated Prophet).

Live Dead albums are different b/c the songs are longer/jammier, and there are a few songs they do which simply do not appear elsewhere - Wharf Rat and He's Gone are two songs I love, but there is no early "studio" version. The down side is that most of the Dick's / Dave's picks include Space / Drums. These are really long, strange noodling. Later shows were a bit like a Blue Man Group for a half hour. That sort of thing is usually what scares people away from the live dead.
  • Good Lord, it's like they tried to find the worst songs of the decade. Anyway is it really an 80s comp with no Flock of Seagulls?
  • Today's Daily Deal is 18 Reasons Why 80s Music Sucked.

I only count eleven reasons there... at most.
  • The new Fiona Apple. Based on the reviews I've seen it appears that this will top a lot of year end lists.

Craig
  • Tom Waits Orphans set (three CD's worth of material) is only $9.99 for who knows how long. Not where I would start if you are new to Tom Waits, but if you're already a big fan this is a pretty good deal for a lot o'Tom!
  • @Rudie

That is a good deal. Thanks.
  • I'd pay $2.99 for this in a flash (if I didn't already have it) - Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs - 2 Part Deluxe Edition.
  • Those $2.99 albums are in response to a flash sale on Google Music. I linked the full 50 album list in the Google Music thread.

Craig
  • So there is no new $2.99 sale (just the DOTD and the Dead)?
  • There is a poorly promoted $3.99 sale on kids music here, which I am pretty sure was a $2.99 sale earlier today.