Amazon Daily mp3 Download Deals

Comments

• "Maybe the Ella Fitzgerald Christmas songs."

I bought that some Christmas past. There were several things I did own already, but nothing worth annoying people with Amazon tweets over.
  • edited December 2012
    Oops.
  • Wow, a Big Box I'm actually going to pass on, not for not liking old Ludwig van, but for having several versions of the 9 symphonies already, plus more on CD, the very nice Alexander String Quartet Complete String Quartets from 7dig, a piano sonata collection, and other bits.
  • I am such a sucker for those big boxes. The Beethoven does not include the Symphonies, which is probably the best reason to get it.
  • $3.99 albums: mostly the usual suspects. I also think there is a new batch of $5 albums (John Fullbright is suddenly cheaper).
  • edited December 2012
    In fact there are some 2,500 $5 albums over there at the moment...

ETA, OMG, they have the Very She & Him Christmas!
  • Sign me up for the big Beethoven box. I actually had some unused MP3 credits so it was free.
  • 5.99 for that new Rolling Stones set, btw
  • ETA, OMG, they have the Very She & Him Christmas!
    Will there ever be a better time to save on She & Him?
  • Man, somehow, that joke just doesn't get old.
  • edited December 2012
    I just went through the whole list of $5 albums and here is the breakdown:

2: Number of albums I purchased;
    2: Number of She & Him albums;
    A few: Number of albums I may get if I get gift cards for Christmas;
    A fair number: Albums that aren't my thing, but I can see where they are a nice deal;
    A crap load: Albums that Amazon will have to pay anyone $5 for the hard drive space it would take to store it.

Seriously, an album of John Lithgow singing? And one by LA Laker Dwight Howard?

Craig
  • Craig; is the Kendrick Lamar album good? It's $3.99, I'm considering getting it, because I'm still influenced by Pitchfork, even though it's 2012.
  • Get it. It may not be as instant classic as some claim, but it's still fantastic. I've got it at #10 for the year, but it's the type of album that feels like it could move up over the years.

Craig
  • John Lithgow is a legit musical theater guy, at least ; I reserve judgment on Dwight Howard!

Jazz is mainly the usual suspects as well, although the Ravi Coltrane that's on a lot of year-end lists is there; also the recent Lionel Loueke album.
  • The Ravi Coltrane didn't hold up well for me over the course of the year. The Loueke seemed to grow increasingly complex the more I listened... it's like I'm perpetually hearing it for the first time. At this point, I'm expecting to write a review sometime in July 2013.
  • edited December 2012
    The $5 album collection isn't doing a lot for me (at least in terms of things I don't already have), but if you look through the 100 Blues albums there are some good artists and a goodly number of Alligator releases for which $5 is more reasonable than you usually get. One of my favorite roots-rock records ever, the second album from The Paladins from about 1990 - Years Since Yesterday - a five star rec from me on that one.
  • a few on sale for $1.99 today only.
  • I got the Taylor Swift - cuz it wasn't working at guvera, and the Rihanna, cuz what the hell, I haven't spent much money on music lately.
  • Tried to get the Simon and Garfunkel.
    "We could not process your order. The sale of MP3 Downloads is currently only available to US customers. Please refer to the terms of use of the MP3 store to determine the geographical restrictions.
    We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you."
    And I am in the US!!
  • Maybe they thought you were Greg...?

I guess the sale is as big as it's going to get - Wasn't it just last year there were some 10K $5 albums?
  • Amazon still won;t let me buy any MP3s - the site detects me as not in the US. Talked to customer service without much progress.
    I am not using a proxy. All my account settings are correct.
    7Digital.com detects me as in the US (offers to redirect me to the US site). That means it's not my end, right?
    Anything else I could check?
  • edited December 2012
    @Germanprof... a good while back I clicked on some link someone posted here and ever since then 90% of the adds I see on various Yahoo webpages and such are German. So my assumption was that something at that link or something I clicked on from within that link set something in my cache or cookies identifying me as being located in Deutschland. I never bothered to try to correct the situation as this particular laptop isn't my main vehicle for doing things on the web. However, this past Friday I had to upgrade/migrate this laptop from WinXP to Win7 and one of the things that gets wiped out/lost when doing that was cache and cookies. I just checked and I don't appear to be getting German-targeted ads anymore.

I would suggest the eMu standard troubleshooting solution: Clear cache and cookies.
  • @GP - Like luddite said, clear your cache and cookies. You should be able to do that from within the browser.
  • edited December 2012
    Tried that. Here is the action list so far:
    I have already checked the following:
    1. There is no proxy server set up on this computer. I checked.
    2. I have rebooted and cleared cache and cookies and done a fresh reload of the amazon page.
    3. I have tried two browsers (chrome and internet explorer), both are the latest versions.
    4. I tried using my iPad as well as my PC - the problem persists, so it is specific to my account, not the device used or the browser used or the cache.
    5. I tried logging off and logging on to my wife's amazon account on the same PC and same browser and same internet service - I was able to purchase a MP3 successfully. The problem *only* occurs when logged in to my account. So the problem lies with the account, not the computer or the internet connection (and note again that I tried deleting cache and all cookies and tried multiple browsers).
    6. I tried visiting another website that detects country location (www.7digital.com) - it correctly detected my computer as in the US and directed me to their US site. This again seems to suggest the problem is not at my end.
    (4-6 could of course be a cookie problem, but 2-3 seem to eliminate that)

Is my logic sound?
  • edited December 2012
    @GP, I suppose you have seen http://askville.amazon.com/amazon/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=86609137 - from experience getting to talk to a supervisor is not always easy, but is often the only way to get beyond the scripted response.

Don't know if your ISP has a support forum, but it would be worth seeing if others are having the same problem. Worth checking as your service provider might be using transparent proxies, and Amazon detecting them...

If Amazon are using a location service, it could be that the one they are using is wildly wrong - you could try http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip-lookup to lookup your IP address, and then Update Location to see where they think you are, and provide feedback - about 15% report 1000Km plus inaccuracy! They all think I am over 100 miles away, but at least still in the UK! If one, or more, of the location services are reporting you are outside the US, it maybe that your service provider has failed to update them all - so you may need to talk to them (again you are likely to need to talk to a supervisor to get anywhere).
  • Out of curiosity, where does it think you are? Canada? Somewhere you have visited recently?
  • Didn't you purchase some amazon mp3's when you were in Australia? I thought I remembered that. Maybe that got your account flagged?
  • Neil Young's Waging Heavy Peace and Patti Smith's We Were Just Kids are part of a kindle sale today.