Upgrade coming

Comments

• Canadians love you the most! Thanks.
  • OK, going to try this again soon. There will be downtime. Hopefully not long.
  • OK, phase 1: the database has been moved and there's now a reasonable amount of free space on the server. Now to retry the upgrade...
  • Well, that looks fresh and new! Everything seems happy at first glance. Of course, let me know if something seems broken.
  • PS: if anyone out there is a designer type, the forum has the unused facility for banners and such. Or maybe you like the minimalist form :) up to you.
  • eythian said:
    Well, that looks fresh and new!
    Fresh minimalist look is nice. Many thanks for all you do to keep this site running.
  • Wow, that's...initially disorienting! And indeed fresh and clean. Thanks for the work on it. FYI when I signed in on Firefox, nothing happened and I had to refresh the page to see that I was in fact signed in now.
  • eythian said:
    PS: if anyone out there is a designer type, the forum has the unused facility for banners and such. Or maybe you like the minimalist form :) up to you.
    Minimalistic indeed. some design would be nice, but it works fine as it is.
    - Besides, If it was up to me, I wouldn't know how to begin.

I wonder what these new "0 points" below the topic lines is all about ?
  • I'm not sure. A brief search suggested people can react to posts and it counts them or something, but I couldn't immediately see that function. Maybe the mods can enable that if so desired, or hide it with CSS.
  • By react I mean Facebook style likes, or similar.
  • Thanks, I was just curious.
  • edited March 2019
    Different - like GP, I was disorientated for a few seconds, but it is great, many thanks Eythian. I like the way that it fills my screen better.  I definitely have no skills to add banners etc!!
  • Site looks great, thanks fot your work!
  • Whoo Hoo!
  • edited April 2019
    Yup, I have reverted it to the "baseline" theme, which I believe is exactly what we had before. Feel free to celebrate/complain/campaign for something else here. (Looking back up the comments, some folk liked the new theme, but I know some really did not, hence the reversion. Go ahead and debate as needed. The only limitation is we can't have both.)
    I will be on planes a lot for the next 24 hours, so will not be able to respond immediately if more changes are desired.
  • FWIW I prefer this version / revision. Thanks.
  • edited April 2019
    My goodness ! . . . back to the "good old look" . . . I like that.
  • I'm good with this - much appreciation for all your efforts.  Safe travels.
  • My hosting provider appeared to have a glitch and the server fell off the internet until I figured out what was up and raised a ticket with them. Seems to be happy now though.
  • New version time. Note that this is a major upgrade (2.8 to 3.2) so you can expect that there'll be visible changes. Hopefully do this over the next half hour or so.
  • edited September 2019
    eythian said:
    New version time. Note that this is a major upgrade (2.8 to 3.2) so you can expect that there'll be visible changes. Hopefully do this over the next half hour or so.
    Well, aside from having to upgrade some system stuff too for the new version, that was concerningly easy, and there are surprisingly few visible changes at a glance.
  • Also, biannual reminder that the bus factor for this site is currently 1. If something happens to me a a gruesome thrown off my bike by a tram into a canal type accident, this forum will eventually stop working, once the credit card company and then the hosting company eventually realise I'm not paying the bills any more.

So, if someone wants to pick up some part of this - even if it's as simple as receiving daily database/upload backups so that it could be stood up elsewhere if necessary - let me know and we'll work something out.
  • Thanks again for all you do here. The only difference I see is that it now shows (image) in the drafts. Although I can't help on the computer side of things I'd be happy to contribute something to help defray your expenses.
  • I have a domain for BitW.  I'm currently talking to Dreamhost about expanding things with additional sites.  Lemme see if I can't fold the backup into those plans, so that if things go awry on your end (and we'll run with a scenario like you get the opportunity to move to a tropical island where there's no internet rather than your more gruesome example), then maybe the site can move onto my domain.

I, also, am happy to chip in some funds to help defray the costs.  If you have a paypal account, I'll do it today.
  • edited September 2019
    Cool, let me know. There's no rush (unless an unexpected tropical island migration happens tomorrow.) The domain is held by @xtrev so that can be moved should it be necessary.

I won't object to donations, mostly because I'm considering buying an apartment and my god the property prices in Amsterdam are getting mad, so every little bit helps :)

My paypal account address is robin@kallisti.net.nz - oh, apparently you can use this too: https://www.paypal.me/RobinSheat

Cheers, Robin.

• Done. After it all shakes out, I'll be happy to chip in some more if you're still taking a hit.
  • Also done. I have no idea what it costs to run a website but I hope it helps out. Like jonahpwll, I too am ready to help out some more when needed.
  • edited September 2019
    I'm pleased that our forum is in good hands . . .
    - everything seems ok, also old posts.
    I've tried to paypal with no success, I will find out why at some point in the near future.
    :)
  • So many thanks for doing this.