Upgrade coming

Comments

• I had a look into the soundcloud thing and I'm 90% sure it's a problem with soundcloud itself. As far as I can tell, the forum is doing everything that soundcloud tells it to do, and it's broken on their own demo site. If I follow their URL-rewriting instructions manually, I also get the same failure. I also remember playing some embedded soundcloud stuff right after the upgrade, so I think it's just bad timing. All going well it'll fix itself.

Now lets have a look at that HTML blob thing.
  • eythian said:

Now lets have a look at that HTML blob thing.
    Heh ! - Thank you very much for looking in to this . . .
  • OK, my best guess is that either the old version had some heuristics to detect the really old comment style and switched the format specially and that's now gone, or things just got more strict. Anyway, it may be fixed, at least in part now. All the examples I could quickly find had a handy shibboleth which made them easy to spot. Let me know if you see any more.

I'm going to leave my open-heart surgery notes here in case I need to reverse it or something.

MariaDB [emusers]> select format,count(*) from GDN_Comment where Body like "%<ol id=\"Comments\">%" group by format;
    +--------+----------+
    | format | count(*) |
    +--------+----------+
    | BBCode |      180 |
    +--------+----------+
    1 row in set (0.00 sec)

MariaDB [emusers]> -- update where Body like "%<ol id=\"Comments\">%" ;
    MariaDB [emusers]> begin;
    Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

MariaDB [emusers]> update GDN_Comment set Format="Wysiwyg" where Body like "%<ol id=\"Comments\">%" ;
    Query OK, 180 rows affected (3.52 sec)
    Rows matched: 180  Changed: 180  Warnings: 0

MariaDB [emusers]> select format,count(*) from GDN_Discussion where Body like "%<ol id=\"Comments\">%" group by format;
    +---------+----------+
    | format  | count(*) |
    +---------+----------+
    | BBCode  |        8 |
    | Wysiwyg |        1 | -- from an earlier test
    +---------+----------+
    2 rows in set (0.17 sec)

MariaDB [emusers]> update GDN_Discussion set Format="Wysiwyg" where Body like "%<ol id=\"Comments\">%" ;
    Query OK, 8 rows affected (0.18 sec)
    Rows matched: 9  Changed: 8  Warnings: 0

MariaDB [emusers]> commit;
    Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

• (this, btw, is a nice example of the "$1: hitting it with a hammer, $999: knowing where to hit it" adage :smile: there was a good hour learning how the database is structured going into those two update commands.)
  • eythian said:
    I had a look into the soundcloud thing and I'm 90% sure it's a problem with soundcloud itself.
    Must have been, in any case it's working again:

- And the HTML thing is back as it was supposed to be (or something) :)

Your feedback is as always much appreciated, thank you very many !

ETA: evbvd = Eve Beglarian
  • Nice, thanks for confirming!
  • Thank you Eythian for all your help with the site, much appreciated
  • Yes, thanks Eythian. Much appreciated.
  • You're welcome :)
  • Thanks for the hammer time!
  • Just wanted to add my thanks too!
    Thank You
  • and another upgrade about to happen, hold on to your digital hats...
  • Well that hopefully worked. As always, let me know if you spot weirdness.
  • OK, there are some issues with the admin dashboard now. I'm going to try some things that will cause weirdness on the site to try to track it down. Expect features to turn on and off a bit.
  • OK, I basically did a fresh reinstall of it. That seems to have helped. Probably cleaned out a few years of cruft anyway.

note to admins: the spam checking has changed, with some old stuff going away, but there are some new things we can turn on if needed. Ping me if it becomes a problem.
  • Once again, thank you for all your work in keeping us going, Eythian. Very much appreciated.
  • Graag gedaan!
  • Thanks Pythian much appreciated
  • Sorry Eythian my fingers are not hitting the right keys this morning
  • Thanks as always eythian!
  • Seconded, thirded or whatever. Thanks for the work.
  • edited February 2018
    djh said:
    Seconded, thirded or whatever. Thanks for the work.
    Indeed !

It does respond differently than before:

I can't upload images (Firefox and Crome) - but copy/paste works in both browsers

Adding links to images and texts is not possible in Firefox but works fine in Crome.
    (the post window looks different and disapears when I rightclick)

- But I have no idea if these issues are only on my part.

ETA: If I try to delete a post, there's a little window that tells me I don't have permission to do that (Firefox and Crome)

• Hmm, I'll look into that in the next few days. BTW have you considered a job in QA? :)
  • Nice change in the typeface.
  • OK, uploading works again (I broke some directory permissions.) How about linking... so that seems to work if you type it. But how about pasting? Well, I get the same right-click issue in Firefox. But I'm not really web-developery enough to know where to start to fix it, but until they fix it upstream you can use shift-ins or whatever your paste key combo of choice is.

I did leave them a bug report, maybe something will happen.
  • edited February 2018

Testing 2 . . . hey it works !  . . . But I could'nt  attatch a link to it

ETA: but the link thing works in Crome
  • I just wanted to mention how much I appreciate your work on the site. I'd also like to know if it is possible to bring back the old search function. If there is something I can do to narrow the search, I'd be happy to try that.  For example if I search Bill Laswell, it shows results for every Bill or Laswell and both, but there are a lot of pages that I have to go through to get just Bill Laswell. Thanks, I hope it's not too much trouble.
  • About the deletion, is that still an issue? I can delete things, but I'm also an admin. There's nothing obvious in the settings about it, but I haven't dug very deep (and am about to go out for dinner so may not have a chance to look for a bit.)
  • confused said:
    I just wanted to mention how much I appreciate your work on the site. I'd also like to know if it is possible to bring back the old search function. If there is something I can do to narrow the search, I'd be happy to try that.  For example if I search Bill Laswell, it shows results for every Bill or Laswell and both, but there are a lot of pages that I have to go through to get just Bill Laswell. Thanks, I hope it's not too much trouble.
    Oh! I forgot that would have gone away. I'll investigate, but it should be possible.