Upgrade coming

Comments

• I have no issues in Firefox.

Craig
  • Well Mr Jonah brought me here so anything that improves his experience of the site... It is a bold almost stark design which maybe doesn't work well in all browsers. OTOH I expect searches to be poor so I'm not too surprised, but if that can get a tweak? In any event thanks Eythian for the work.
  • I was about to inquire about search yesterday, so I'll second that. Is there any way to add the capacity to limit search to thread titles?

The font does not distress me, but if there is an option for a lower contrast background or different default font and it lets jonahpwll hang out I am all in favor of that - I miss his contributions.
  • Hmm, I'm no web-designer, but if you want to have a look at the themes here:

https://vanillaforums.org/addon/browse/themes/recent/popular/

I can install a couple that can be tried out. Board admins can switch between any installed at will.

> The use in IE and Firefox is very limited.

What does this mean? I'm using it Firefox right now just fine, but if there's specific things then I can check them out.

As for search, I have something I'll try out. No promises though.

PS, I've been pretty busy lately, so not sticking my head in much. But if you say my name three times, I'll look in.

• I've added a new searching thingamie. Can you have a play with it and let me know if it suits? If you go to advanced search, it'll tell you useful things.

There is one glaring limitation: it currently won't update itself with new content due to some breakage somewhere.

https://github.com/mcuhq/SphinxSearchPlugin/issues/19 -- fixes welcome :)

I'll turn it off in a day or two (or one of the admins can if it's breaking things) before the data gets too stale, but I want to know if I should pursue trying to make it work, or stop because it's not worth it anyway.

• edited March 2016
    eythian said:
    > The use in IE and Firefox is very limited.

What does this mean? I'm using it Firefox right now just fine, but if there's specific things then I can check them out.

Thanks for your reply
    I've just been checking Firefox . . .
    - Maybe it is not as bad as I remembered, but it is not possible to copy/paste images in new posts and something that looks like an image resizing tool comes up when I try to insert an "undercover" url.

But I just found out that this function can do both things:
    httpcf-imagesemusiccommusicimagesalbum15625215625288155x155jpg
    Heh !

But it is strange that i can't get it to work in new posts (right clicking does not provide an insert option)

But it is really no big deal, I'll just use Crome.

I still miss the color codes, but since I was the only user who thought it was fun to play around with I see no need to spend time with that.

Thanks again for stopping by.
    httpwwweasyfreesmileyscomsmileyslol-057gif

• @Brighternow I'm using Chrome to view the images you posted in Firefox and the aspect ratio is seriously messed up; or I need more coffee.

Also the related posts section seems to need some tuning; if that is possible.

@eythian I'm new here and wanted to say hello.
  • edited March 2016
    I'd like things to work in Firefox, as I prefer non-proprietary software as a general rule.

That first image looks like it's moving :)

Whenever I try to add something, it appears and then vanishes again. Weird.

@dataGuy hi there!
  • edited March 2016
    So, I did that by using the "attach image/file" button and pasting the URL in. It did go a bit weird for a bit, I'll experiment some more.

So, it seems that if you have valid message content, then it puts the image in and then throws it away. I don't know why. If you don't, then it errors at you, but leaves the image
    there and you can edit things around it. Bizarre.

So is the formatting of this message after doing an edit...
  • For what it's worth, these are the editor settings:

• huh, just plain dragging an image into the editor box worked. That surprises me slightly.
  • All the bugs...

It seems that pressing "enter" on the "attach an image/file" forces a "post comment" action before the image link is there (or something), which is a bit stupid. So if you attach the image first, it fails because it thinks it's empty, and so you can then add text.

Is anyone here a web frontend developer? :)
  • As an experiment, I've toggled the editor settings to use bbcode. Will this work better? It gives me back ctrl-arrows to move a word at a time, which is definitely a plus.

How about images, will there be one below this, or will it still fail?
    tumblr_nw4md741QN1sc9rdlo1_500.gif
  • This seems to work better. Perhaps the wysiwyg one was trying to run before it could walk.

OK, I'll also leave this for a bit.

Admins: if you want to play with these more, here's how you switch thing around:

Editor: Dashboard -> Plugins (bottom left menu thing) -> Advanced editor settings -> twiddle the knobs*

Search: Dashboard -> Plugins -> Sphinx search disable/enable (you probably don't want to meddle with the settings.)

* tumblr_nlyf3gptxQ1tdhimpo1_500.gif
  • Don't know what to say about the editor settings but the gifs you are testing with are great.
  • edited March 2016
    Oh, @dataGuy I haven't the foggiest how the related discussions thing works :)

Ah, it seems to be part of the new search gizmo. That doesn't actually answer any questions, but it probably means it's deep indexing voodoo. For now, consider it archaeology perhaps :) it may also be that it just can't find anything very closely related to this thread for some reason.
  • edited March 2016
    I just noticed the related discussions for the first time today. I thought it was part of the upgrade.

At first glance, it seems to determine relatedness by who has posted comments in the thread. Which seems like a pretty loose correlation of relatedness.

Update: after looking at the related discussions at the top of this thread it hasn't changed at all based on the added comments - so I'm likely completely off base....
  • edited March 2016
    dataGuy wrote: »
    At first glance, it seems to determine relatedness by who has posted comments in the thread. Which seems like a pretty loose correlation of relatedness.

That's entirely possible. It might just be having a fairly small pool of regular talkers overwhelms the relevance ranking that would otherwise give more credence to keywords, or something. I'm mostly making things up now though. This could just be a load of horse poo.

tumblr_nusy2s1DpI1sc9rdlo1_400.gif

PS: @Brighternow there's a chance that with the change back to bbcode, the colour support has come back if you want to have a play with that.
  • edited March 2016
    Okay - didn't need to see that ahhhh :s

How is she still smiling and laughing after that?
  • edited March 2016
    I turned off the related discussions that appears below the first post, that seems like a total waste of space. The others can be turned off or down as desired too.

(Plugins -> Sphinx Search -> (belaying my previous comment about not meddling with these settings) -> settings -> tuning the numbers at the bottom of the page.)

OK, I need to try to get to the shops before they close at 17:00. But it's raining. This is problematic.
  • That seems like a good call. Though if it worked that feature could be interesting.
  • edited March 2016
    Just poked my nose into the Sphinx documentation. So, not knowing anything about this search tool and my SQL being very rusty the "SetGroupBy" function looked like it might have an impact on the discussion section issue. That is a completely wild guess of course....

It was fun talking to you in real time. Best of luck at the store....
  • Eh, I gave up on going to the shops. Next weekend...

I'm probably not going to delve too deeply into the sphinx plugin at this stage, except to figure out how to add the automatic updating function that it fails to tell me how to do if people decide it's a good enough search system to keep.

But, the source is on github and looks slightly abandoned if you feel like a project to maintain ;)
  • My coding days are long gone.
    You know what they say: Writing code is an activity similar to banging one's head against a wall; only less rewarding. :)
  • dataGuy wrote: »
    My coding days are long gone.
    You know what they say: Writing code is an activity similar to banging one's head against a wall; only less rewarding. :)

I'm sure it'll be an easy thing to do, and won't lead on to a whole pile of yak shaving.

QMFZ8Zq.gif
  • edited March 2016
    eythian said

PS: @Brighternow there's a chance that with the change back to bbcode, the colour support has come back if you want to have a play with that.
    Yeah ? - Trying:
    [color=green]Testing[/color]

Hmmm ? maybe this: <color=green>testing</color>

Nope.

I asked @jonahpwll about what he is using:
    I run into the problem on two different macs, using Firefox and I think I used Chrome for awhile, too. The two O/S's were Snow Leopard and, huh, whatever I've got now. It's a new(ish) macbook and my O/S is the latest (I think). . . .OS X Yosemite.
    - If that is any help . . .
  • edited March 2016
    Test:
    <font color="red">Red Text</font>

According to the BBCode help, this is the syntax:
    <font color= "red" > Red Text </font>

Can't seem to get the code tag to display the syntax correctly (shouldn't be any front slashes) - just check the help below the comment box.

• I asked @jonahpwll about what he is using:
    I run into the problem on two different macs, using Firefox and I think I used Chrome for awhile, too. The two O/S's were Snow Leopard and, huh, whatever I've got now. It's a new(ish) macbook and my O/S is the latest (I think). . . .OS X Yosemite.- If that is any help . . .

I'm sure black on white is not the best for some people on some hardware configurations. It's fine for me, but I can't speak for everyone (alas :)) If you have a look through the themes link from earlier, maybe there's a more pleasing one in there. Feel free to argue for a few amongst yourselves, and I'll install them and then they can be switched over to to try out.
  • edited March 2016
    Or, if it's just colour (edit to add: or font, styling) tweaks that are required, I could probably put in a custom CSS if someone were to tell me what would suit.

ETA: or even point in a direction. It's hard to change things usefully without knowing what the details of the problem you're trying to solve are :)