Upgrade coming

Comments

• Yeah, that's one big fat book like War & Peace, isn't it?

... if folk want to join a discussion community they should be signing up with a stable email address for some accountability

Sounds reasonable to me!

Seems like most of the applicants I'm cleaning out are from Russia, too.

• edited April 2015
    It's pretty long and of uneven pace...very enoyable but not always equally propelling. And I tend to find the longest subjective stretch of many long kindle books is between 30% and 50% - after that it starts to feel like downhill, before that it's "i've been reading all this time and I'm not even half way...".

Yes, the Russians like us.
  • Something's slowing up the site incredibly today for a 4G data connection; it's basically unusable without wi-fi for me; anybody know why that would be?
  • Nothing should have changed, problematic 4G connection perhaps?

My 4G here runs faster than my cable internet does anyway...

I really need to dig up some time to do some backend poking on this site again.
  • It works fine now. It was weird; it was just that one day, and every other site worked fine. Something somewhere must have just been choking on something.
  • About to do a security update in the next some minutes. Hopefully you won't notice anything.
  • Well that seemed uneventful. Release details here for the curious: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/30123/vanilla-2-1-11-released-security-patch

Probably nothing you care about :)
  • @eythian, were you ever able to figure out why some applicants go to the applicants list while others go straight to the users list as Noobs and can go straight to posting spam for moderation? It would save a fair bit of labor if everyone could be pushed to the applicants list for approval at the first step.
  • I'm pretty sure it's to do with the (IMO silly) way vanilla handles this. If you sign up, you become a "Noob", if you confirm your email, then you become an applicant. This ends up meaning that people who haven't confirmed their email have more permissions. Though, we can change that I think.

I'm doing a bit of poking around and have found a plugin that might allow 90% of spambots to be avoided by matching that "why I want to join" string they all use. Having a look into it now.
  • I'm doing a bit of poking around and have found a plugin that might allow 90% of spambots to be avoided by matching that "why I want to join" string they all use. Having a look into it now.

OK, I've enabled this (you'll see the "registration restrict logger" plugin.) It's pretty basic but should hopefully reject people attempting to sign up with that characteristic string.
  • Thanks! The most time consuming policing task is deleting folk who are already Noobs.
  • edited June 2015

It's really cut down on the applicants. I was deleting upwards of 30, some days. Now I'm going to the spam page & deleting those, only 3-4 at the most. They have the same "I want to see all/be all/do all" that the applicants queue used to have.

Thanks!

• Only one Noob spammer in the users list since yesterday too, unless others have deleted some.
  • If you screenshot me an example of a pattern you see a lot, I can add it to the filter list too.
  • Most of the patterns I've been seeing regularly I have been adding to the banned list in the dashboard.
  • Many thanks all involved in this for keeping us up and running so well
  • edited June 2015
    @eythian,
     that new plugin is fantastic. Nothing is getting through now. It's saving a lot of time. Thanks for finding it.
  • Glad it helps :)
  • edited December 2015
    Minor version update coming tonight (CEST) for some security patching.

Edit: also going to experiment with SSL-enabling this site, because more SSL is more good. You may have issues if you're on XP, but you shouldn't be on XP.

Edit2: I'm also going to upgrade the OS it's running on while I'm here. It shouldn't cause too much downtime, maybe 15 minutes. Fingers crossed.
  • After a brief period of emusic.com error message emulation, the operating system upgrade has been completed. Next step, the vanilla upgrade.
  • Upgraded to Vanilla 2.2 after all that. Release notes here:

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/31121/vanilla-is-proud-to-present-version-2-2

I might have a quick play with trying the new editor thing.
  • Maybe this is better. It certainly looks nicer. I'll let you all decide :) It's got a few options admins can toggle if they like.
  • eythian said:
    Maybe this is better. It certainly looks nicer. I'll let you all decide :) It's got a few options admins can toggle if they like.
    Oh, going to not do the SSL stuff tonight, it's already late enough. Another day.
  • edited December 2015
    HI eythian,
    Thanks for keeping us updated, I wouldn't know where to begin :smiley: 

I have noticed that all color, fond size, bold etc. is no longer there.

As an example, on 
    New & Notable Classical Albums , I have spend quite a lot of time bolding italizing and coloring the text to make it look nice. Now this has all vanished  :'(

Could this have anything to do with this SSL ?
  • eythian said:

Oh, going to not do the SSL stuff tonight, it's already late enough. Another day.
    Are you using Let's Encrypt?
  • Brighternow: Hmm, I'll have a look-see, hopefully this evening. It shouldn't be totally gone.

PaulR: that's the plan, yeah.
  • edited December 2015
    eythian said:
    Brighternow: Hmm, I'll have a look-see
    Thanks,
    As far as I can see, the colorcodes is still there, but since the new one doesn't have the color options in the toolbar . . . well, what do I know.

From this user's point of view, the missing features such as different fond types and color options in exchange for some stupid smileys, is really not an upgrade or improvement.

- But I'm sure there's a good reason for this "upgrade".
  • edited December 2015
    The reason was mostly that the previous version was going out of support, and I'm pretty anti my servers being compromised :-)

Won't get to look into it tonight, but will try to soon.
  • Yet again, many thanks for all your work in doing this eythian.
  • @eythian
    I just got a Twitter DM from @jonahpwll a very valued member of Emusers who runs the Birdistheworm blog:

That new emusers interface is really tough for me to read. I don't know what it is, but that white background and rigid font... whenever I try reading anything on emusers, it kind of makes me dizzy and nauseous. I can't explain why, but it makes it impossible for me to hang out on emusers anymore. Cheers.
    - It does seem like a problem, especially if others have the same experience.

Speaking for myself, I can only operate Emusers in Crome, The use in IE and Firefox is very limited.

- And the search has gone from very bad to almost useless.