What are you listening to right now? (17 Seconds of Cicadas)

Comments

• Fennesz

2004 - Venice                                                           2008 - Black Sea

2010 On (Steven HessSylvain Chauveau)                          2010 FenneszDaniellBuck
     - Something That Has Form And Something That Does Not             - Knoxville
         - Mixed by Fennesz
  • Beatles - Abbey Road
  • Fenn O'Berg

2010 - In Stereo                                                        2010 - Live In Japan Part One

2010 - Live In Japan Part Two                                      Recorded 2010 -  In Hell 
  • amclark2 said:
    Pearls Before Swine - Balaklava

It’s starting to get hard even for me to pick something to buy at emu anymore! So I ended up with something I’ve had on a back burner since pretty much my first couple of months at emu. I’m enjoying it though.
    I emptied my SFL (what was left of it that was still available) a couple of weeks ago and went on 90 day hold. I am thinking it might be permanent. They have tempted me back before but that was when there was a catalogue that contained things I wanted.

NP: Benoit Pioulard - Sonnet
  • Fennesz

2012 - On Invisible Pause                           2014 - Bécs

2014 - Mahler Remix                                             2018 - Station One
  • Look Now 2 CDDeluxe Edition
    It's more singer-songwriter Elvis. My second time through - it's good , but no early, angry Elvis (but what does one expect at his age?). 
  • edited October 2018
    httpsi1sndcdncomartworks-QOiyQmWBECIk-0-t500x500jpg
    :)
  • edited October 2018
    Gentle Giant 

1973 - Octopus
    Finally getting to this. As I recall, a most enjoyable listen. 
    Thanks to @peterfrederics for pointing it out.
    Ps - It was, with a bonus live track from '76 added in.
  • Van Morrison - Versatile
  • Gurf Morlix

2000 - Toad Of Titicaca                                           2002 - Fishin' In The Muddy

2000   Tribute To Blaze Foley 
                  - Blaze Foley Inside: BFI Three
  • edited October 2018
    The gorgeous closing song on the new Current 93 album

Followed by the under the skin creeping and totally gorgeous:

• Well, clocking in just under 9 hrs, I get a start on these...
    GAS

1996 - 2000  - Nah Und Fern                            2017 - Narkopop

2018 - Rausch 
  • Went to the local charity shop yesterday, 4 CD's for £1

Spiritualized - Amazing Grace 

followed by

Zero7- When it falls
  • edited October 2018

Could not Did not resist picking up something in the Nonesuch 50% sale - Still going on this morning, I believe

ETA, that's pretty swell:

• Carole King - Tapestry

• New out and sounding really good.

• Galaxie 500 - On Fire
  • Gudrun Gut

2007 - I Put A Record On                                         2008 - Apples, Pears And Deer In Poland EP

2012 - Wildlife                                                           2013 - Going Up The Country / Tiger

2017 Myra Davies / Beate Bartel / Gudrun Gut
                   - "Sirens"
  • The Thelonious Monk Orchestra at Town Hall
  • The Weight of the World
    Just discovered this band via a friend. It's a good listen so far.

• edited October 2018

There is one particular track I really like Abusey Junction by Kokoroko. They are an Afrobeat/jazz band based in London. Many of their members have a Nigerian background. So far this is their own track released, although an album is due soon. If the link doen't work, try this YouTube clip 

This review  sums them up for me:

Kokoroko’s Abusey Junction is likely to be the softest and beautiful thing you’re going to hear in 2018. It is at the end of the day only an instrumental, only an Afrobeat instrumental – but it is a monumental instrumental – a monstrumental! It is at the same time soothing and emotional, it is like that feeling you get towards the end of a good cry. Sadness and warmth combined. It is the gentle beats of the percussion that soothe. It is the plucking of the guitar strings that pull on your heart ones. In this way it is reminiscent of ‘Mediterranean Sundance’. Its long, but it deserves to be long in the same way that Fat Freddy’s Drop ‘Hope for a Generation’, Sebastien Letellier’s ‘La Ritournelle’ and The Hot 8 Brass Band’s ‘Sexual Healing’ deserve to be long. After all if you’re going to have a cry, get it all out eh?

Other tracks on video are here and here. This last one is a 40 minute live performance outside the V and A Museum in London. I look forward to their first album
  • Reposted By Michel Banabila on Soundcloud:
    httpsi1sndcdncomartworks-000386702064-tv42ve-t500x500jpg
    Like the wings Daedalus crafted for his son Icarus, John Gilbert Colman’s score for sampler, voice and chamber orchestra almost melted away completely, disappearing into the tides of time. The album originally served as the score to an avant-garde production of the Greek myth that toured the Belgian theatre circuit in 1986. Director Guy Cassiers cast the play with 45 developmentally disabled actors enrolled at the Krauwelenhof school in Antwerp, working for six months with the young actors (aged 12-17) to discover and develop their talents, creating (by all accounts) a deeply moving piece of visual theatre. Rather than using dialogue, Cassier used movement, costumes and music tell the fable, words were only present as text fragments within the score, spoken by members of the chorus or sung by Rolande van Der Paal. Colman’s compositions elevate the experimental narrative with broad shifts in mood, utilizing a pop-concrète style by incorporating sampled squeaking balloons, environmental recordings, tuned percussion, drum computer, and voice to accompany the traditional small chamber instrumentation. The music is reminiscent of other avant-theatrical pieces from that era by Nuno Canavarro, Milesi & Bacalov, Todd Barton, Vito Ricci and Roberto Musci, while standing on its own as a unique and moving piece of minimal music. Remastered DMM pressing.

- Five track, 17:36 minutes playlist link . . . and really excellent !
  • Herbie Hancock

1962 Freddie Hubbard - Hub-Tones                       1962 - Takin' Off                                                  

1963 - My Point Of View                                         1964 - Empyrean Isles
This discussion has been closed.