Favourite Rock Albums from the late 60s and early 70s

Comments

• "The Clown Died In Marvin Gardens" by Beacon Street Union

• "Ahead Rings Out" by Blodwyn Pig led by Mick Abrahams lead guitarist on Jethro Tull's first album which got him crits comparing him favourably with Eric Clapton.

Great cover!

• Well, as most of my favourites have already been posted, I'll have to go with his Flo & Eddie stage.
    I was 18 when I first got Filmore East and I thought it was hilarious and hard to forget the line - 
    "I get off being juked with a baby octopus and spewed upon with cream corn"...
    Frank Zappa / The Mothers

1971          Fillmore East, June 1971

1972       Just Another Band From L.A.
    When Mark Volman & Howard Kaylan departed from The Turtles they were embroiled in contract entanglements which prevented them from performing under their own identities. In 1970 the duo hitched up with Frank Zappa as vocalists, touring with his band and being credited on the release Chunga's Revenge by the pseudonym The Phlorescent Leech & Eddie. The name stuck. They released an eponymous album as The Phlorescent Leech & Eddie, and the nickname later become shortened to Flo & Eddie

One highlight of their performances with Zappa was a rendition of The Turtles' "Happy Together" on Fillmore East - June 1971, as a pair of 'Fillmore groupies', though the duo are credited by their given names on the release.

• edited April 2021
    Danish prog rock masterpiece from 1970:

- One of the Danish albums I can listen to again and again and again . . .
    Im sure that I've posted this album many times before.

ETA: Green Man is not bad either ;)

• edited April 2021
    "First Loss" 1970 album by Murphy Blend one of Germany's best Prog Rock bands. 

AMG says "Their one album, First Loss, from 1971 is considered one of the classics of Teutonic heavy rock" and the Discogs rating is 4.31/5.

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/murphy-blend-mn0000564110

https://www.discogs.com/Murphy-Blend-First-Loss/master/137267

• "Arriving Twice" by Canterbury scene group Gilgamesh 

Progarchives says "One of the premier bands to feature on the Canterbury scene".

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=128

To my mind, on a par with but not nearly as well known as Soft Machine, Caravan, National Health and Hatfield & the North

• i'd forgotten Bloodwyn Pig! Great band ... I will need to chase up on Spotify
  • Well, here's another visit with my youth.
    Genesis

1972                      Foxtrot                                   1973        Selling England By The Pound

1974     The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
  • edited April 2021
    @rostasi your listing of Thirsty Moon (above), an absolutely top rate 1970s Krautrock band, reminds me of my theory that there are no bad bands whose name includes the words "Sun" or "Moon".

Examples of "Moon" are Thirsty Moon (yours above), Black Moon Circle, Electric Moon, Moon Duo, Moon Ra, Moon Safari, Moon Taxi, Moonchild, Moondog, Of the Wand and the Moon, Where The Moon Came From and Yellow Moon Band.

Examples of "Sun" are Black Sun Ensemble, Coldsun, Dark Suns, Drifting Sun, Empire of the Sun, Ephemeral Sun, Heart of Sun, Oblivion Sun, Quiet Sun, Sleepy Sun, Solid Sun, Sun Araw, The Sun Blindness, Sun City Girls, Sun Devoured Earth, The Sun Lightning Incorporated, Sun Ra, Sun Travellers, Suns of Thyme and Swallow the Sun.

Apologies that these don't all fit the1960s/1970s theme of our discussion.

Have I missed out any!?
  • edited April 2021
    Interesting that you bring this up on the day Michael "Apollo 11" Collins died
    ("the forgotten astronaut"). I can certainly agree about a lot of those bands and
    people that you've mentioned.

Also, here's what I had to say back on July 20, 2019 about a mix I uploaded called "Lunacy!":

I was in Oshawa, Ontario. I was 10 years old and it was past my bedtime.
    They had landed earlier that day at 3:17 PM and now at 9:56 PM CT someone was going to take the first steps on the moon. This mix of moon-inspired tunes is being uploaded at exactly that time 50 years later and the length of the mix is exactly the amount of time that Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin trotted about on that surface.

• edited April 2021
    Great mix! Includes a number of my favourites.

Your story reminds me of being in Cuba in 2016. We were staying in this rather uninspiring house as everything else was booked out. So we cheered ourselves up by belting out the 1978 song "April Sun in Cuba" by NZ band Dragon. And yes it was April, the sun was shining and we were in Cuba!

• Some Country/Rock from my youth.
    Goose Creek Symphony

1970             Goose Creek Symphony                  1971           Welcome To Goose Creek
  • Graham Bond

1970                    Solid Bond  
    The Graham Bond Organization & Quartet 
    Recorded '63 & '66                                              
  • Grand Funk Railroad

1969                      Grand Funk                            1970                  Closer To Home

1971                     Survival
  • Well, I'm going to make my way through my collection starting here...
    The Grateful Dead

1967                 The Grateful Dead  
  • Two really good, unheralded albums by Ayers Rock "Beyond" and "Big Red Rock".

• On the Ayers Rock theme "Solid Rock" from Goanna's album "Spirit of Place" is a real must to listen to although it's cheating somewhat because it's from 1982!

True blue Aussie music at its absolute best!

• "The Miraculous Hump Returns From The Moon" by The Sopwith Camel.

AMG says "From the fertile San Francisco ballroom scene, the Sopwith Camel emerged in 1966 with a refreshingly melodic spin on the overamplified electric kool-aid coming from their psychedelic peers the Grateful DeadJefferson Airplane, and Quicksilver Messenger Service". Their main claim to fame was that their name was nearly taken by another band - who eventually settled for the better name (!?) Big Brother & The Holding Company!

• Some more country/rock.
    Gram Parsons / The Flying Burrito Bros

1969             The Gilded Palace Of Sin                 1970                   Burrito Deluxe

1973                            GP                                   1974                  Grievous Angel
  • edited May 2021
    "Precious Cargo" and "Sea Shanties" by High Tide.

• "Growers of Mushrooms" and "Unleashed" by Leaf Hound

• edited May 2021
    "Get It On" by Pacific Gas & Electric. A mix of blues and psychedelic rock and a great album.

• edited May 2021

"May God and Your Will Land You and Your Soul Miles Away from Evil" by Pax. A Heavy Psych group from Peru.

How about that for an album title and cover that epitomises the era!

era!

• edited May 2021
    National Health were one of the top groups in the Canterbury scene in the mid to late 70s. Their two best albums, to my mind, were "National Health" and "Of Queues and Cures".

AMG says "National Health were one of those rare English progressive bands whose classic mid-'70s output still sounds fresh today" and describes "Of Queues and Cures" as "one of the last and finest examples of the instrumental Canterbury sound on record during the 1970s". 

Progarchives rates them No. 11 album of 1977 and No. 3 album of 1978 respectively.

https://www.allmusic.com/album/of-queues-and-cures-mw0000461907

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=257
  • "American blues rock guitarist known for his innovative approach to electric guitar playing. 
    A professional at twenty, he played with Charlie Musselwhite, Canned Heat, The Rolling Stones, 
    and John Mayall before starting a solo career."

Harvey Mandel

1969                      Righteous                              1971                   Baby Batter

1972                   The Snake 
  • edited May 2021
    "Diabolus" by Diabolus.

This British band issued this excellent album in 1972 which almost disappeared without trace before being recently re-discovered. How familiar is that!

In fact, the band didn't even know that the album had been re-released. It came as a surprise to them when they heard about it as did its relative success!

+