What Are You Listening to (23) Skidoo?

Comments

• Part of the July 5 edition of Random Radio:

Speaking of...
    Tonight's show is a prog show that I hope some of you guys will enjoy.
    I'll be posting a Mixcloud link after it's broadcast tonight (#364).

• Another Fred...
    Fred Lonberg-Holm Trio

A Valentine For Fred Katz                                      Other Valentines

Terminal Valentine
  • While checking archive.org I found the Martin & Neil/Bleecker & MacDougal album. Little Bit Of Rain is 
    the reissue the B&M album that I have on vinyl. I know that my album skips during a couple of tracks
    so I'm happy to get a replacement and the Martin & Neil album is a real bonus.
    Fred Neil

Vince Martin & Fred Neil - Tear Down The Walls   Bleecker & MacDougal

Little Bit Of Rain                                                   The Many Sides Of Fred Neil
  • Another most enjoyable listen with thanks once again to @Brighternow.
    Frisk Frugt

Guldtrompeten                                                     Dansktoppen Møder Burkina Faso I 
                                                                                Det Himmelblå Rum Hvor Solen Bor, Suite

Den Europæiske Spejlbue
  • FWY!

San Clemente EP     archive.org                                 Any Exit     archive.org

CA 80's-90's
  • "The Last Embrace", the 2003 compilation album by Spirit Caravan. A very listenable version of Stoner Rock.

Spirit Caravan  The Last Embrace 2003 CD - Discogs

• Gabriel Saloman

Adhere                                                                 Soldier's Requiem

Peter Broderick + Gabriel Saloman 
  • confused said:
    FWY!

San Clemente EP     archive.org                                 Any Exit     archive.org

CA 80's-90's

You seem to have hit the nail on the head again with these, especially what I've heard of the two archive.org releases. FWY! is ok but the lead track is a bit too much of a two dimensional "Motorick" copy. I'll probably just lay down the cash and bow to the inevitable though.
  • djhdjh
    edited June 2023
    confused said:
    Gabriel Saloman

Adhere                                                                 Soldier's Requiem

Peter Broderick + Gabriel Saloman 

I was all set to buy all three of these when I found out that I had them all from some time back. I seem to have left my organisational skills at work when I retired! All good stuff and recommended. Did I bore you with my story about being stuck right next to the speaker at a Yellow Swans gig back in the day? If I didn't already have a touch of tinnitus that evening would have doubtless brought it on. Upstairs room of a pub in Shorditch before that area became clueless Hipster Central. [EDIT] Not that these releases are loud Saloman completely changed directions at one point.
  • ^^^ I originally got the 80's-90's album from Emusic and was very happy to find the others at the archives as I've worked my way through the alphabet one more time.

More Gabriel Saloman with a new NYOP addition to my library.

Movement Building Vol. 1                                     Movement Building Vol. II 

Movement Building Vol. III                                    The Sensationalists       nyop
  • djhdjh
    edited July 2023

Le Vanneau Huppé by Collectif Spatule

There Be Monsters by Boštjan Simon

By way of my thread about deleting too long Bandcamp Wishlists - these two Jazz adjacent albums come from close to the very start of my list but have safely made the leap into the collection proper. Not that I'm influenced by cover art / design - oh no.

EDIT - Just realised I have @jonahpwll to thank for both of these albums. Obviously I was paying attention back in 2017!

• These links are for either archive.org or Bandcamp at NYOP. 
    Gamardah Fungus

The Way To Build Your Future                              Two Hemispheres, Two Worlds

Celestial Funerals                                                 Nuclear Winter

Inner Solitude                                                       Night Walk With Me

Natural Storm

Ps Here's wishing everyone a Happy Canada Day weekend!
  • ^^^ @confused ^^^

Happy Canada Day weekend to you too. I loves me some Gamardah Fungus but thanks to you, yes you! I've been down a rabbit hole and am currently listening to this untranslatable to me Mongolian lady singing with some sort of harp backing. Lovely and slightly wonky from its cassette source.

Earlier I was in India getting a vocal hug from this lady.

• links please
  • rostasi said:
    links please

I found that the uploader to the Archive has a blog after I posted those.
    Mongolia
    India (scroll down)

Have fun.

• Thanks! On the “India” page, the top one is the very fun Ashwin Batish recording that I’ll have to dig out and listen to again. It’s from the mid-80s, and this guy’s right that it’s more than what you might expect. 😄
    Interesting to see that it was released on cassette.
  • ^^^Yr Welcome^^^

It's an interesting blog even though latter day Punk and Hardcore isn't really my bag.
  • edited July 2023
    Went to training yesterday morning and none of the trainers (in their 20s) had heard of The Doors! But every single one of us doing training (50s and up) of course had!

This just meant that I had to play The Doors first album all the way home!

is this the best first rock album ever!?

• Went to training yesterday morning and none of the trainers (in their 20s) had heard of The Doors! But every single one of us doing training (50s and up) of course had!

Funnily enough I'd just read the How To Buy feature in the August issue of Mojo. The subject? Why The Doors of course. Which album was voted #1? Why this very album! No great surprise; but what shook me was that The Soft Parade was only ranked #7 one place lower than the less than wonderful An American Prayer. Just in case you wondered they managed 10 albums by including two live sets and one greatest hits. Also interesting notes on how Rolling Stone mag changed its oppinion on the group between the first and second edition of their record guide. That's Dave Marsh for you.
    I really like The Doors 1st but for me it isn't even the best debut album of 1967. That is probably Safe As Milk or Deep Dark Blue Centre, or The Velvet Underground & Nico or, on a technicality Lumpy Gravy or For Adolphe Sax or The Grateful Dead or - well 1967 was a very good year. B)

• Moon Tong - Tao Fire

Latest offering from the great Taiwanese Duo of psych-folk-hauntology-ethno-forgery rockers. Actually read the review in The Wire the other day - I must be losing my grip if The Wire gets there before me. Seems slightly more polished than earlier efforts.

• Primary

Found in the middle of a very large pile of home mixtapes, this 2009 effort from Bureau B

I know of no other record that seagues from a cover of Age of Aquarius to one of Blueberry Hill!

• djh said:
    Went to training yesterday morning and none of the trainers (in their 20s) had heard of The Doors! But every single one of us doing training (50s and up) of course had!

Funnily enough I'd just read the How To Buy feature in the August issue of Mojo. The subject? Why The Doors of course. Which album was voted #1? Why this very album! No great surprise; but what shook me was that The Soft Parade was only ranked #7 one place lower than the less than wonderful An American Prayer. Just in case you wondered they managed 10 albums by including two live sets and one greatest hits. Also interesting notes on how Rolling Stone mag changed its oppinion on the group between the first and second edition of their record guide. That's Dave Marsh for you.
    I really like The Doors 1st but for me it isn't even the best debut album of 1967. That is probably Safe As Milk or Deep Dark Blue Centre, or The Velvet Underground & Nico or, on a technicality Lumpy Gravy or For Adolphe Sax or The Grateful Dead or - well 1967 was a very good year. B)
    Not to forget Love's "Forever Changes", Jimi's "Are You Experienced", Pink Floyd's "Piper At The Gate Of Dawn", "Moby Grape", "Procol Harum" and "Songs of Leonard Cohen".

1967 was indeed a great year for debut albums. In fact a year to challenge "the" greatest year of them all for rock - 1971!

As for Mojo, what is this "The Doors - Reassessing the most maligned group of the 1960s" bit all about!? Who are they kidding!
  • ^^^As for Mojo, what is this "The Doors - Reassessing the most maligned group of the 1960s" bit all about!? Who are they kidding! ^^^

No it's a real thing. The Doors credibility - among a lot of critics at least took a dive in the 1980s and was inadvertently made worse by Oliver Stone's film. That is the reason I mentioned Dave Marsh. When he became editor of Rolling Stone there was a lot of revisionism about what was good or bad about the 60s. Headonism was out, and certainly drinking yourself into an early grave was not considered cool. I take a step back from all that, when I'm in the mood I love The Doors music and seperate the art from the performers and if we were to censure Morrison for his arguable overraught lyrics - well there's plenty of other folk doing just that. The Mojo piece was trying to put the group back where they belong despite the excesses. And of course those Mojo readers seem to agree with you that the first album was the best. Or was it The West that was The Best... :)

PS
    I thought Homer Simpson said 1974 was the best year for rock?
  • edited July 2023
    @djh in The End, The West is always the Best!

Meanwhile, on the topic of 1971 as the best year in rock, I'm just off to watch the Apple TV documentary series "1971: The Year That Music Changed Everything" based on the book "Never a Dull Moment: 1971 the Year That Rock Exploded" by David Hepworth.

https://tv.apple.com/au/show/1971-the-year-that-music-changed-everything/umc.cmc.6dkxf7hxdcaueu4jhe1wm2k2n

Never a Dull Moment 1971 The Year That Rock Exploded Hepworth David  9781250130914 Amazoncom Books
  • Hmm haven't thought about Daid Hepworth in many a long year. Is he taken seriously as a music journalist these days? Before Old Grey Whistle Test wasn't he the editor at Smash Hits? Still that might be a fun page turner. Don't have Apple TV or Apple anything else.
  • edited July 2023
    djh said:
    ^^^ @confused ^^^

Happy Canada Day weekend to you too. I loves me some Gamardah Fungus but thanks to you, yes you! I've been down a rabbit hole and am currently listening to this untranslatable to me Mongolian lady singing with some sort of harp backing. Lovely and slightly wonky from its cassette source.

We had a terrific weekend, a fair amount of badly needed rain and great company. I've spent time down those holes and headed down another thanks to you too! The Archives, UbuWeb and Discogs have taken up most of my interneting time.

Gamelan Voices was another introduction by @Brighternow

Pertiwi                                                                  I

Gang Of Four

Entertainment!                                                     Solid Gold

Ps. Now that I'm waking up, I forgot to send Happy July 4th greetings to all my neighbours.
  • I know Dave Hepworth quite well, we have watched football together in my local.he is great fun but talk about music is quite limited, I think it is his job and away from the writing and presenting he likes to get away from it. His books are great and have been given as presents many times to friends
  • djhdjh
    edited July 2023
    Lowlife said:
    I know Dave Hepworth quite well, we have watched football together in my local.he is great fun but talk about music is quite limited, I think it is his job and away from the writing and presenting he likes to get away from it. His books are great and have been given as presents many times to friends

Ah football, that would explain a lot (smiley face). That 1971 looks like it might be a bit of a laugh. For my sins I've been a Wire subscriber for the last 25 years or so - occasionally it's nice to read something a bit more relaxed or not pretending to be of such cultural/historical importance. Speaking of which our own Jazz Journalist is making waves today. TWG t'other Dave.

EDIT - Me and my big mouth. Just bought all three Dave Hepworth books that Amazon were showing.
  • edited July 2023
    djh said:
    Lowlife said:
    I know Dave Hepworth quite well, we have watched football together in my local.he is great fun but talk about music is quite limited, I think it is his job and away from the writing and presenting he likes to get away from it. His books are great and have been given as presents many times to friends

Ah football, that would explain a lot (smiley face). That 1971 looks like it might be a bit of a laugh. For my sins I've been a Wire subscriber for the last 25 years or so - occasionally it's nice to read something a bit more relaxed or not pretending to be of such cultural/historical importance. Speaking of which our own Jazz Journalist is making waves today. TWG t'other Dave.

EDIT - Me and my big mouth. Just bought all three Dave Hepworth books that Amazon were showing.
    Oh no! What have I started!

Watched the first episode of the 1971 TV series last night and it was really good.

I had just moved from London to Perth, Western Australia for work the year before in 1970. The saying at that time in the rest of Australia was "If the world ends tomorrow, it will end ten years later in Perth"!

Largely true from the rock point of view! Particularly compared to late 60s and early 70s London!
This discussion has been closed.