Great Music on Amie Street for less than $4

Comments

• @frogkopf

How many RECs do you have left?
  • @frogkopf Thanks for the rec on Max Grunhard, that is a great find and I'm loving it!
  • edited October 2009
    free skinny puppy singles

and now all but four are gone, and not even in my downloads...
  • Same here, amclark2. That sucks.

Craig
  • and now they are all gone... and probably my frees for the day are very close to maxed out.
  • edited October 2009
    I've just downloaded 2 of the remaining four, but when i went for the third, all of them was gone.
    They are in my downloads, but can't be redownloaded.
  • I sent an email to investigate.

Craig
  • They had tomorrow's date on them, so hopefully it's a case of someone posting them too soon and then having to pull them for a day to be in complliance with agreements. This is what happened with the Dead can Dance Reissues - they were posted too early and were pulled later the same day. The problem there was that they were released in Europe a couple of months before the US. On the US Release date, they reappeared, an were again available in my download list without me having to add them.

At least I'm hoping it's a similar case, since I snagged 5 of those puppies while they were free. Anyone know how many there were?

DT - around 150.
  • These are the ones I saw - 10 total. The "Dig It" EP/single showed up on the Skinny Puppy artist page for a brief period of time and I snagged it from there. Never saw that one on the "New Releases" page:
    Album: Dig It by Skinny Puppy
    Album: Testure by Skinny Puppy
    Album: Tormentor by Skinny Puppy
    Album: Chainsaw by Skinny Puppy
    Album: Censor by Skinny Puppy
    Album: Inquisition by Skinny Puppy
    Album: Addiction by Skinny Puppy
    Album: Tin Omen by Skinny Puppy
    Album: Worlock by Skinny Puppy
    Album: Spasmolytic by Skinny Puppy
  • those are the ones I saw, and I "got" all ten, although I didn't download any because I was at work.
  • edited October 2009
    Man, nothing for me tonight. I can't remember the last time that happened.
  • It seemed that no albums came in free, and several got over $4 in a hurry. I did get Pelican, my only goal for the evening.
  • RED Distribution (which is owned by Sony, I think) albums start at 15c a track and that's most of what we got tonight.
  • Amie appears to have picked up the Fat Wreck Chords label, which should help bring in some new customers through the door. Not quite my thing, but apparently there's some pretty good bands on the label. I'm always bad at genre-tagging, but I guess they fall under the Punk umbrella. I know Lawrence Arms are Riot Fest veterans. I mention the label, not knowing how well known it is in these parts. This may be old news for all I know.
  • 30% off credit sale for the next 24 hours. I've still got some credit from the last 50% off sale so I'll wait for the next one.
  • James Husband's album is just sitting there at $1.12.
  • Kind of a disappointing Tuesday, especially after the last few. I snagged The Asteroids Galaxy Tour yesterday evening, but that's it so far.

Craig
  • edited October 2009
    Here's a fun freebie The Phuss - sounds like a mix between Drive-by Truckers and Soundgarden.
  • edited October 2009
    I blame Dwizzle (Amie's Webmaster). I'm sure he's not letting freebies on the website because he knows I'll rec them and pass him up.

Dwizzle, you're going down! Today!

There was a paucity of freebies, but there were about a half dozen decent releases that were under $2 for a while. I've gotten away from thinking of Amie Street as a just free album place (although I still get plenty of those), and look at it more like a really cheap place to pick up stuff. Even if you pay $5 for an album, keep in mind that is Amie money not real money. For most of us, $5 Amie = $2 Real World. That's even cheaper than per-inflation eMu. I'll keep putting in $25 every time they have a 50% off sale.

Looks like they capped the new Hem album at $5 and are featuring on the front page. This means it will probably max out at 98 cent a track. Recing it now at around 27-29 cents a track will get you about 35 cents a rec.
  • edited October 2009
    I've been digging the Asteroids Galaxy Tour album, especially the song Pushing the Envelope. The Gwen Stefani comparisons are understandable, but I think Cindy Lauper on Helium is more to the point.

Pushing the Album reminds me of a Trip-hop Euro-disco version Subterranean Homesick Blues.
  • edited October 2009
    There's 5 Skinny Puppy singles added today at Emusic
    They are not yet at the SP artistpage.

edit:
    BTW: cEVIN KEY is occationally collaborating with The Legendary Pink Dots in The Tear Garden.
    - Here's 3 very cheap and absolutely wonderfull albums.
  • Pushing the Envelope didn't stand out to me on my first listen, I'll have to make sure to focus on that one next time. Unfortunately, I forgot to add it to my iPod after downloading it, so I can't listen to it at work other than Around the Bend which has been on the iPod since it was released on their prior EP.

I can't remember where I read it, but TAGT was called the bridge between Cyndi Lauper and Gwen Stefani. I can see that a lot more than straight up comparisons to Stefani.

Still no sign of the Skinny Puppy stuff.

Craig
  • 265 Must Have Sound Effects is only $39.75! Act now before a two second "Pony Whinny" maxes out at $0.98!

Craig
  • edited October 2009
    Here's a must have: 265 Must Have Sound Effects - a double album going for the low, low price of $39.75.

Great minds think a like.
  • It's definitely one of those albums where a different song stands out every listen or two. Crazy just caught my ear last time around.

Brook Waggoner's Go Easy Little Doves has been in heavy rotation for me the last few weeks, although it's probably past most of your price points by now.
  • I'm not sure in this case I'd go with "great minds." Although I'm really tempted to download one track, just to REC it with a ridiculous review.

You need to stop changing your avatar! It keeps throwing me for a loop.

Craig
  • Thanks for the heads up on the Pony Whinny. I bought it and wrote a REC for it.

Now I can complete the album for only $39.60. I'm tempted.....
  • Not exactly as good a deal as the 500+ sound effect album Amazon had as the deal of the day a couple of weekends ago at $1.99 - cheap, cheesy, yes, but for just the possibility I might have some use for some of them some day I thought Hell, yeah. $39.75 I don't know what they're thinking.
  • I gave you some street cred, froggie, and added my own review.

Craig
  • edited October 2009
    Thank you sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

And the eloquence of your review prose moved me to tears....