Guvera

Comments

• edited June 2011
    I had an idea to float by our Guvera friend(s), as I've gotten more into using playlists due to the non-functional back button issue. It would really be a useful feature if I could drag tracks onto my playlists on the left hand side, much like we can now drag tracks into the bottom tray. It's a bit laborious to click the little icon, select "Add Song to Playlist", select the playlist I want, and then click "Close". It would be sooo nice to just drag and drop onto my playlist titles. :)

Update: I just discovered that I can collect tracks in the bottom tray and add them all to a playlist in one shot with the icons on the right of the tray. Man you guys use small icons! ;) Kidding aside, this is actually a nice compromise.
  • Thank you, Guvera - 2 long Larry Coryell yesterday, today the 2 real long tracks from Charlie Byrd's At The Village Vanguard, and the 2 parts of Tull's A Passion Play.
  • Inspired by my son teaching himself Mad World on the piano (which I heard him playing one day and thought "gee, that song sounds familiar" - I guess there is a remake he heard somewhere, but I digress...), I picked up some early 80's pop fluff. Tears for Fears - Mad World and Pale Shelter (which is actually my favorite TFF song), Madness - House of Fun, Pete Shelley - Homosapien, Alan Vega - Juke Box Baby, and Joe Jackson - The Harder They Come (a very worthy cover version, which I selected only because I couldn't find Out of Style from the same original 7" EP).

Thanks for letting me share this useless information!
  • I tried to get Wes Montgomery's Smokin' at the Halfnote, but "No Blue" came out as 1:21 long, instead of 12 something. Oh well, there's always the mid-month.
  • Rudie, I suspect it's Gary Jules' cover from the Donnie Darko soundtrack.
  • @BigD-Bluez - "Larry Coryell", great suggestion. I used Guvera to fill long tracks on three Vanguard albums, Spaces, Planet End and Lady Coryell. Short tracks are all 49 cents on eMu.
  • That's what I'm talkin' about... I have to make more of an effort to plot these out in advance. I keep a little private SFL going for these when I think of it.
  • Thanks Katrina. I bet that was it. He did watch that movie with some friends recently.
  • What the heck happened to the new Beastie Boys? Almost nothing on there. Sigh.

Craig
  • Some new channels appeared today - Best Buy, EA Games, and PacSun - but no new credits just yet. Nice to see some new advertisers on board for July.
  • 6 new ones this morning. None on the new channels (yet).
  • 6 new, nothing on the new channels. Filled in a couple of earlier Floyd songs, including the full 23 minute Echoes off of Meddle, probably the one Floyd album I never had.
  • I have the same six, although I have not checked my wife's account yet. I started with John Coltrane - The Olatunji Concert: The Last Live Recording, two long tracks (28 and 34 minutes) with a short intro from Billy Taylor. It is $6.49 on eMu because of the long tracks. Thank you, Mark Nason, whoever you are.
  • Six for her, six for me. We picked up Kancheli's Little Imber, Cattin' with Coltrane and Quinichette (three Waldron compositions), and Martinu's Field Mass and Double Concerto for Orchestra.
  • Six turned into four this morning, which turned into three because track 5 "It Doesn't Mean A Thing" on the new Airborne Toxic Event album is broken. Tried downloading it twice. I should've used the six last night when I saw them. Funny how quickly these things disappear.

How do we report broken tracks? I'm encountering quite a few lately.
  • Ugh! I almost (almost!) feel guilty about complaining about free music, but Guvera does not work smoothly for me and it's getting more frustrating. I also had six credits this morning when I checked from work, but only four when I got home. I understand not using them you may lose them, but after a few hours on the first day they are posted? That seems....something not good...unfair? ridiculous? jaberwoked? What word am I looking for here?

Also, they charged me two credits for one song. Perhaps because it took me about four tries before the download would start. I sent a note about both issues through their feedback link. Not sure how responsive they are as I've never tried to contact them before. Anyone else have experience with their customer service?
  • @BT "Cattin' with Coltrane and Quinichette (three Waldron compositions)"

I got that one too. Excellent music, hard to believe I missed it before.
  • It's always been frustrating in some way. I was trying to get the complete Art Blakely but this multi disc set is not on there in any order, so I have accidentally downloaded several tracks twice (not alternate takes). Had to move on to an album length collection.
  • Wow and only four tracks for me this month?
  • Four credits so I scored McLemore Avenue by Booker T. And The M.G.'s.
  • I was too slow and got the 6 down to 4 thing too. Still intrigued by those shiny new channels with no credits in them. And by the strategy of adding them without adding any credits - getting us to look at the site more often?
  • Rats. Lost one download of my four. And the 2nd account has zero DLs. Grrr.
    Oh well I got 3 good tracks from The Presets' Apocalypso.
  • Follow up to my minor rant the other day. I received a canned response email from Guvera which didn't realy address anything I asked them; it basically was a cut and paste from their faq. But...I checked my account anyway this morning and had two credits (perhaps the ones that disappeared a few days ago?). You can bet I grabbed them immediately.

So, for my fellow users who only had four a few days ago I would adivse you to check your acccount again.
  • Thank you Rudie! It is true what they say, Rudie can't fail.

Craig
  • By the time I got to a computer yesterday, I had 4. Lost one to the new download system which confuses the heck out of me. With my remaining three I managed to finish out Super Ape and Wes Montgomery's Smokin' at the Half Note.

I think that in the long run only cheapskate obsessives like yours truly are going to stick with Guvera. They should look into different advertisers. Like mp3 players, headphones or even books. I'm not very likely to buy anything from the current advertisers.
  • Yay Rudie! I did have another 2 DLs from Geico today, and immediately used them, as well. And immediately lost one by signing out of acct #1 before noticing the download hadn't finished. Even though it was within 5 minutes, I couldn't DL again for free when I back into the correct account. Bummer.

I know a few of you have several accounts. I had held out until last month, when I just HAD to have a full album. They must have cottoned on, the 2nd account still has zero DLs and the only channel is the 'How to use Guvera' one. Just wondering if your 2nd & 3rd accounts are working for you? Mine are both gmail.

only cheapskate obsessives like yours truly
    Free tack whores unite!
    Yeah, I'm not gonna buy anything from Mark Nason or the Gilt Group. Maybe I'll get a quote from Geico & tell 'em Guvera sent me.
  • edited July 2011
    2 Geicos for me too. Finishing up some Pink Floyd.
    ETA - there's certainly still some determination needed to make it work. I lost one credit this month on a track that wouldn't download. Then seemed to lose another, but when I quit the browser, restarted it, re-logged in and clicked "download again" from the download history it did work. Still feels kind of hit and miss whether it's going to work though.
  • Two tracks from the lizard. Mark Nason makes some nice boots. I hope they're patient, because I can't afford them anytime soon.
  • It seems like before the new download system, you could open more than one tab or window, so it was much easier to pull one in one window your saved items or search results, then open new windows to do download tracks. Now you have to do a lot of back and forth browsing.
  • Eat 'em while they're hot.