Throwing Punches at the Hurricane: Jazz at Bandcamp

Comments

• @jonahpwll Good to hear, and I don't use twitter either (other than to occasionally check in on status of events, etc).    Normally I wouldn't even think there being a need to check in, but given the state of the world, you never know... will watch for your BC column.
  • edited July 2020
    httpsf4bcbitscomimga1143868281_14jpg
    Piano by Matthew Shipp
    Bass by Michael Bisio
    Drums by Michael Thompson
    Vibraphone by Khan Jamal
    Electronics & Keyboards by Robin Rimbaud (aka Scanner)
    A unique collaboration between Robin Rimbaud and Matthew Shipp's Post Modern Jazz Quartet. He was given the tapes from a live session and invited to reconfigure them into a new shape for this album.

• Eris 136199 Jazz em Agosto Lisbon 08-11-19

Formed in New York in 2012, Eris 136199 is the chaotic-slamming one-person rhythm section of Han-earl Park (Sirene 1009), the deep melodic intelligence and big-tenor sound of Catherine Sikora (Clockwork Mercury), and the anthems of glitch, experimentalism and riffage of Nick Didkovsky (Doctor Nerve). Recorded during the trio’s 2019 European tour, Peculiar Velocities (BAF002) is Eris 136199’s third CD, and first studio album. The album is the follow-up to the eponymous Eris 136199 (BAF001, 2018) described as “like letting an insane brain surgeon in through your ear” (aJazzNoise, Best of 2018), and Anomic Aphasia (SLAMCD 559, 2015) which was described as “a beautiful noise” (KFJC 89.7 FM).

Recorded with a lean, efficient boldness by Sean Woodlock, and mastered by Richard Scott, the album captures music that leaps from wispy, delicate webs to massive weather-beaten mountains. Recorded over just three hours in a single live room, Peculiar Velocities catches Eris 136199 between the first date of the tour at The Vortex (London) and their performance at Jazz em Agosto (Lisbon).

• edited November 2020
    Some pretty big news gets announced on my Best of BC November column.  Should hit their site late this week.  Kinda dying to share it, but I need to buy as much time to get some column pitches in before the flood of other writers start sending theirs in.
  • Let me guess... You got a job with The Wire and you're moving on.
  • jonahpwll said:
    Some pretty big news gets announced on my Best of BC November column.  Should hit their site late this week.  Kinda dying to share it, but I need to buy as much time to get some column pitches in before the flood of other writers start sending theirs in.

Not up on BC Daily site yet, but will keep an eye out for it.  Sounds like it is good news for you, though.   Always enjoy your reviews and write-ups, both on BC and your late/great BITW blog.  (Aside - you better hurry and name your #1 album of 2019 before 2021 arrives... ;-)   though I know what it was from your submission to the annual jazz  "poll of polls" compilation from last year).     Wishing you the best, whatever the news may be!

• edited December 2020
    It's not about me at all.  It's about music availability.  Something that many of us here, and elsewhere, have been waiting for.  And it happened one right after the other.
    LOL, and you're right, I need to put that Best of 2019 album up there.  I'll try to get that written this weekend.
  • edited December 2020
    Well, the latest Best Jazz on BC column is out, and I've made my pitches, so I can say:

Clean Feed Records and ACT Music are both on BC now.

• edited December 2020
    That is great news Jonahpwll, thanks for letting us know. I did a mega download before leaving eMusic, but it will good to catch up on new releases from ACT.
  • Shweet. I disappointedly supposed the big news was the addition of Warp, though not the worst consolation prize. Pleased to see they both have latest releases/all tracks streaming
  • Ha.  You had me fooled, @jonahpwll.   But that is indeed very good news.   ACT and Clean Feed take me back to the good ol' days of this site's namesake, when you could regularly find first rate jazz at great prices.  Happy that they are now available on Bandcamp.  
  • I wish ACT had chosen a price point somewhere between emusic peanuts and their current election of EUR15 per download.
  • Doofy said:
    Shweet. I disappointedly supposed the big news was the addition of Warp, though not the worst consolation prize. Pleased to see they both have latest releases/all tracks streaming
    Um, you do know that Warp came to Bandcamp, don't you?

• edited December 2020
    OMFG, I have ANOTHER big jazz announcement that I just learned today.
    I've already got my pitch in, but I'm going to hold off on saying what's about to hit until I'm sure the person I'm talking to about this thing I can't tell you about is cool with making any kind of announcement.  I don't want to steal their fire.
  • I’ll guess Mosaic Records.
  • rostasi said:
    I’ll guess Mosaic Records.

I don't know whether that would be the greatest thing ever or a price point hell ;-) Also @Germanprof yes a shame about the ACT pricing. For every one album I'd buy at $15 there will be four I'd buy at $7 esp. if the artists are new to me.
  • edited December 2020

I wish ACT had chosen a price point somewhere between emusic peanuts and their current election of EUR15 per download.

I totally agree GP. One album I wanted to download, Ida Sand My Soul Kitchen, is £15 at Bandcamp, but £7.99 at Amazon. Whilst I do try to avoid Amazon if I can, it is almost half price there, so I can get two for one. I'd pay a couple fo pounds more at Bandcamp to get better quality but not nearly double.

We've been trying to purchase Christmas presents from other places than Amazon, but we have noticed that delivery often takes much longer. I'm still waiting for some books for granchildren that we ordered over a week ago from another online site. Yet a similar book from Amazon arrived the next day.
  • edited December 2020
    I'm with you. The new Emile Parisien/Vincent Peirani works out at $17.79 for digital download on bandcamp, $8.99 on Amazon. I'll pay extra on bandcamp, but double is stretching it (especially when it's also close to double the average going rate for a digital album - I would even think that a little steep for a CD).
  • We know for sure it won't be Mosaic! Pretty much everything they put out is licensed...Once the physical sets are sold, that's it.

Maybe Blue Note? Personally I'd rather have High Note or Smoke Sessions. This suspense reminds me of the big Black Saint/Soul Note drop on eMusic way back when, so that would be good too

• For those concerned about the high prices for ACT releases, I would point out that they are available for download at Presto Jazz for a considerably lower price. For example, Frank Woeste's Pocket Rhapsody II is $23 Canadian at Bandcamp, but $15.25 Canadian at Presto. So basically, three at Presto for the price of two at Bandcamp.
  • edited December 2020
    Interesting that in Australia, the Frank Woeste Album is A$24.50 on Bandcamp, A$24.00 on Presto, A$18.99 on iTunes and A$12.99 on zdigital (Australia’s version of 7digital). 

For comparison purposes, A$1=C$0.95=US$0.74

P.S. No risk here of being tempted by Amazon. They don’t deign to do downloads in Australia!
  • Wasn't aware Presto was an option for jazz...DL price points are not as high for some other labels, including ECM. Good to have an alternative to Amazon
  • Re: ACT - most ACT releases still show up on 7Digital (despite long ago ditching eMusic), and typically they are ~ $10.49 USD (or less if the album has few tracks).  More for FLAC, but at least the MP3 is 320K (vs. 256K on Amazon).   +1 for the me on the comments regarding Bandcamp releases often being overpriced.   I've never understood the logic of pricing higher on Bandcamp than other channels, given that the label/artist gets to keep more of the revenue - you'd think they would want to maximize sales through that channel.

• Interesting that in Australia, the Frank Woeste Album is A$24.50 on Bandcamp, A$24.00 on Presto, A$18.99 on iTunes and A$12.99 on zdigital (Australia’s version of 7digital). 

For comparison purposes, A$1=C$0.95=US$0.74

P.S. No risk here of being tempted by Amazon. They don’t deign to do downloads in Australia!

$10.49 USD on 7Digital for 320K MP3.
  • More good deals on jazz at 7Dig:   The latest Charles Lloyd, "8: Kindred Spirits" for $5.36 and Immanuel Wilkins, "Omega" for $8.xx  (don't recall if it was 8.99 or 8.49, but a better price than you'll find for most Blue Note releases elswhere). 
  • edited December 2020
    Maybe an even better one is that 7 DIG in Canada has the 4cd Mingus at Bremen at 13.49 CDN for 24/96 FLAC (9.99 for the MP3 - 11.49 for the 16/44). Bandcamp's price comes to 30.96 CDN and I believe that would be 16/44 for the FLAC version. 
  • edited February 2021

New Focus Recordings, January 22, 2021
    Composer and percussionist Susie Ibarra releases a portrait album featuring solos, duets and trios with her new trio. Talking Gong with Claire Chase and Alex Peh will release in digital and limited edition vinyl formats. Ibarra's work melds influences from her Filipina heritage with her uniquely virtuosic approach to the drum set and sound collage.
    Biographies of Digital Sanctuaries Artists  Susie Ibarra
    - "This riveting set from Susie Ibarra has a talkative disposition, even when its overall mood is contemplative. Whether she’s playing solos, duets, or trios with pianist Alex Peh and flutist Claire Chase, the percussionist speaks with a language all her own. The music here has a sense of tension and release that is positively addictive."
    - Dave Sumner at Bandcamp

• edited May 2021
    I wrote about the jazz scene in St. Petersburg, Russia for BC...
    The Story of Jazz in St Petersburg RussiaVenue By Venue  Bandcamp Daily