Guvera

Comments

• @kenny - damn, didn't realize Miike Snow was there. "Animal" was one of my favorite tracks last year. Guess that's up next after I finish Skylarking...
  • I'm really late to the party on Miike Snow. Had heard the name a dozen times, but missed the music completely. Came on in a coffee shop the other day. Absolutely love it.
  • Has anyone actually done paid downloads on Guvera? The thought has occurred to me that those long tracks @$1.59 could be considerably cheaper than Complete The Album costs of 3 or 4 dollars on eMu.
  • @B2B - "Has anyone actually done paid downloads on Guvera?"

Almost always I find the long track on 7 Digital (99 cents) or Amazon, although Amazon usually has the same "album only" restrictions. I do not have to re-tag 7-Digital like Guvera.
  • Thanks for pointing out 7digital for that. I've got all but 4 short tracks from Albert Ayler's Live in Greenwich Village now, and those 4 are $.77 each on 7dig; cheaper than Amazon, higher quality than emusic.

So this is the first album I've done like this; the weird thing is I can't listen to a note of it until I have the whole thing; anyone else that OCD?
  • Yes, amclark2. I am exactly the same way on not being able to listen until I have the whole thing.

Of course I actually have OCD, so I have an excuse. What's yours? :)

Craig
  • edited December 2010
    7digital has been useful (got the 2 long Album Only tracks from the recent Hendrix box there for 0.99 each, and got the rest of the tracks I wanted from eMu during the 2 day delay before the UMG drop @0.50 from a booster, heh, heh, heh) but some releases, I forget which I looked at recently, also have those pesky Album Only restrictions.

Speaking of 7digital, jazz cognoscenti, what's the difference between these 2 at 7digital from Miles Davis/Sonny Rollins -Dig {Original Jazz Classics Remasters}(OJC Remaster) for $5.39, and this - Dig (Remastered) for $6.99?

And both of these are Universal - when the hell did they acquire the OJC series?
  • BigD-Bluez: During the great EMI giveaway, I came up one track short on an album after all the freebies ran out. So out of appreciation for all the free music they gave me, I bought it from guvera. The process was more or less painless, although they only accepted payment through PayPal, as I remember.
  • edited December 2010
    Well, thanks to Wikipedia, it's official - Concord Music Group is distributed by Universal - link.
    mailman relates an illuminating conversation he had with the Concord office in the Vanishing OJC thread- link.
  • Well, thanks to Wikipedia, it's official - Concord Music Group is distributed by Universa;
    Somehow I think I always new that, but that physical distribution was separate from digital. Unless it only mattered so long as UMG was not part of eMu.
  • Not surprised. IIRC, UMG distributed Fantasy stuff in some parts of the world.
  • Ah, just one further subtlety of the Change that Cathy & Co. didn't feel they needed to grace us with. If you'll excuse me I have to check behind my desk for Harkonnens.
  • edited December 2010
    Thanks for the heads up! Finally finished the Stone Roses album. Hmm, what to do, what to do, with the leftover 5 credits.
    Guvera has got my love for the Dandy Warhols album I DL'd - love, love, love it and it feels like when I found eMu lo those many years ago.
    I dug up my front yard which is full of head-sized rocks and did some kick-ass landscaping to that album, broke a shovel and had to buy a new one to Thirteen Tales From Urban Bohemia. It is now legend on my ipod, along with the U2 that's alway's there.
  • Happy New Year from Guvera. :) Got a bunch of 'em
  • 11 for me, 11 for she.

I finished off Merle Travis' Folk Songs of the Hills and picked up Stile Antico's Media Vita (perhaps the best reviewed classical album of last year). Now to see what the wife wants.
  • Happy Guvera Year! For the record, the channels that listed only 1 credit available still let me download 2.
  • Well, that was awesome.
    Sonny
    Kenny
    On the Sonny, you need to compare with Amazon to keep the tracks straight. PITA, but for this price I can deal. Made a stab at DL'ing multiple tracks, but couldn't immediately figure out how to work that.
  • edited January 2011
    Well, Happy New Year and good morning. Just DL'd four ten minute plus Sonny Rollins tracks, must be something in the air. There seems to be a difference of opinion between eMu and others as to how artist listing should be for Sonny Side Up - eMu listing under Sonny Rollins, but the Verve site seems to lead with Dizzy. Have to chill before I decide whether to get the 2 shorter tracks at Guvera or save the DL's for other long 'uns. Digging After Hours currently though - one of my favorite songs, from the Erskine Hawkins version, the Roy Buchanan version, or Jimmy Nolan - yeah the guy that went on to play with some character named James Brown - he was a smoking guitarist too. Have a good one.

That didn't take long - I decided that I'd splurge on the two shorter tracks to complete Sonny Side Up at Amazon for 0.99 each, since the two long ones were free, at $1.98 it's still a steal compared to the $6.49 eMu wants, with low-rent encoding. I love Guvera, even if we only get to love it once in a while now.
  • One good thing from the UMG debacle: we can now search the UMG catalog by track number. I found this one track work by Stockhausen.
  • Twenty for me, between two accounts. My wife's account gets Victoria's Secret, but I do not. Simply not fair, if you as me. Two highlights for me:

Gene Ammons - The Big Sound, 49 cents for 49 minutes of music.
    Archie Shepp - Black Gipsy, 49 cents for 55 minutes of music.
  • Got 2/3 of Jammin' With Gene at Guvera. Amazon's got the third track Album Only unfortunately.
  • Thanks for pointing out the duplication, thom! Needed 12 to complete the Public Enemy album I was working on, so that finished it off.

Craig
  • Thanks for the tips! Got 9 official credits plus the extra one and picked up some Tarwater.
  • Picked up some PJ Harvey and The-Dream.
  • Elvis Costello, Live at Hollywood High.
  • With my eleven, I got

Don Ellis Live at Monterey (sans Introduction)
    Eberhard Weber Yellow Fields

I've also been clicking through to get to the websites, figuring that the advertisers check to see how people get to their site. Not that I'd get anything, mind you, but I am interested (in getting more free downloads).
  • I just downloaded a few songs and they each cost two downloads each. This happen to anyone else?
  • edited January 2011
    Yes, I was lucky enough to get that. The channels that had only one download credit, I got a message saying I didn't have enough credits.
  • Is there any other way to know if it's a two credit download? I've been using the site since it started and this is the first time it's happened to me.
  • I didn't have any issues with that. I'm betting it's a glitch.

Craig