Listen before it's gone (NPR, Spin, etc)

EDIT: This was the NPR First Listen thread, but now it incorporates sites that allow you to listen to new releases for a limited time until release date.

Inexplicably, I keep forgetting to stop onto this site (NPR First Listen) regularly to see what's new. Maybe a thread will fix that.

Right now, I'm listening to PJ Harvey's new album "Let England Shake".

http://www.npr.org/series/98679384/first-listen

It started out pretty good, then dropped off into cheesy. I believe the song "Words that Maketh Murder" may have signaled a low point for the album (it's tough to tell because the NPR streamer doesn't tell you which song you're currently listening to). Anyways, just when I was about to give up on the album, it's really taken a huge turn for the better. It's really got me to looking forward to the next track.

Comments

• Parts of the James Blake ST album are up there too. Apparently all of it was there until a Universal stooge noticed. Wouldn't want anyone to hear the whole album. They might decide to buy it!
  • Well, that was next on my list to hear, but now I'll just skip it. I've never heard anything by him before and I guess that's how it will stay.
  • I've usually found PJ Harvey's music more admirable than enjoyable (big exceptions: "Man Sized" and most of Stories From The City). Nothing I heard yesterday when I streamed the album changed that opinion. But, as frustrating as it can be when an artist doesn't play to his or her obvious strengths, I can't help but want to cheer her on. So I'll buy the album next Tuesday.

Great thread idea, Jonahpwll.
  • A thread is a very definite good idea. Similarly I forget to check up on them and missed the Wanda Jackson First-Listen a couple of weeks ago. The samples don't impress me at all, and a more thorough (free) listen would have been nice. Don't know if Mr. White was on the right track with that one.
  • For those of you who use a feed reader, NPR does have an RSS feed for the individual features including First Listen. Unfortunately I'm behind on my reading and missed the streaming Earth - dammit.

And what the hell is UMG's problem? Oh, we don't want you to hear this fantastic new album for fear that you'll buy it...
  • On the plus side, I didn't even know there was a new Adele album coming out. First song is awesome. I love her voice.
  • There are also newsletters that mention first listens, but they're not quite as frequent as an RSS feed.
  • Devotchka is up now...

51gosD53RzL._AA135_.jpg

"100 Lovers"

-If you've ever seen "Little Miss Sunshine", then you've heard them. They've always had an oddly intriguing sound, sorta as if Efterklang threw a martini party. I've always found their albums sort of uneven. I'm someone who appreciates the view of the forests rather than the shape of the bark and leaves on individual trees.
    So far, first track sounds fantastic, a nice soaring opener. And now listening to the second track, my first impression is they've been listening to their Arcade Fire albums, but it could be my memory is failing me and they've always had a more dramatic sound than I'm remembering. Damn, this second track is really really good. If the rest of the album holds up, this is going straight to the top of my to-purchase list.

http://www.npr.org/series/98679384/first-listen
  • Wow, that Devotchka album was fantastic.
    For what it's worth (to them), letting NPR stream that bad boy just got them a sale.
  • Hmm, I must agree - that's a very nice record. It does sound a bit Arcade-Fire-ish, but after only the one listen I think I already like it better than any of the Arcade Fire albums.

There should be a name for this genre, isn't there? I think some people call it "Baroque pop," but there should be a better term for it.
  • I always associate DeVotchKa with the trailer for Everything Is Illuminated, but Little Miss Sunshine was on TV the other day. I didn't realize that they actually scored that one.

Anyway, great band and I can't wait to hear the new one.
  • NPR Tiny Desk:

Esperanza Spalding: Tiny Desk Concert
    - 17 min. - stream only. . .
  • @Brighternow, that was wonderful, thanks for sharing.
  • lol - i had left the npr page open, then to take #1 swimming, came back twp hours later to wife listening to nprcast: "all things knitting". yup. 47 minutes of knit gibberish.

she's an avid - just with sticks.
  • Lucinda Williams "Blessed" is up for you fans of hers.
  • edited February 2011
    Not First Listen, exactly, but check out this brief set with Jason & the Scorchers on World Cafe. Their album last year was overlooked universally, as far as I can tell, and criminally, I thought. Maybe people thought, "Oh, that was 20 years ago, this is now," but they're missing something good. In this show the usual introductory chat was interesting but the music starts at 3:30. About 11-12 minutes in there's a little more talk that was pretty funny, but go past that to hear "Moonshine Guy In a Six-Pack World."
  • Now listening to 21 by Adele. I didn't expect much, but I was curious. Wow, what a voice.
  • Wye Oak
  • edited March 2011
    While you're over there if you're a guitar fan check out the feature The Telecaster:Still Wailing At 60 - there's some cool video clips embedded including the amazing Jimmy Bryant&Speedy West, jazz icon Ted Greene, Roy Buchanan, and of course Steve Cropper.
    BTW if you think Ted Greene worth following up on he's got an album over at eMusic.
  • Collapse Into Now, new R.E.M. I'm just starting it, but it the first track sounds good.
  • Devotchka is up now...

"100 Lovers"

-If you've ever seen "Little Miss Sunshine", then you've heard them. They've always had an oddly intriguing sound, sorta as if Efterklang threw a martini party. I've always found their albums sort of uneven. I'm someone who appreciates the view of the forests rather than the shape of the bark and leaves on individual trees.
    So far, first track sounds fantastic, a nice soaring opener. And now listening to the second track, my first impression is they've been listening to their Arcade Fire albums, but it could be my memory is failing me and they've always had a more dramatic sound than I'm remembering. Damn, this second track is really really good. If the rest of the album holds up, this is going straight to the top of my to-purchase list.

Devotchka, again, thank you for the listen to your album. I just purchased it. It's almost certain that wouldn't have happened had I not been able to first listen to it in all its wondefulness. Streaming it on NPR gained you at least one sale.
    Cheers.
  • New R.E.M. album up for two more days (til the 8th).
  • First Listen is awesome and I usually do end up getting the album after listening to it on there first. That's why the James Blake EMI thing is annoying.
  • edited March 2011
    I propose to convert this thread to a discussion of all interesting new releases that are streaming for free. Who's with me?!
    Edit: Ubuweb/Bandcamp/Good Free Stuff should continue to go in their respective threads. Although some of the NPR first listens stay up, most are taken down after the release date. Those are the sort we would point out here.

51tUFX7-WGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    The Strokes - Angles
    Streaming for free on their website. March 22 release date.
  • Yes, I'm good with limited streaming new album prior to release date as this thread criteria.

Spin Magazine also has that, though nothing there intrigued me enough to post about it.

Here, let me see if I can change the thread title.
  • Great new title jonahpwll. I've added this thread to the Beginner's Guide.
  • Orrin Evans "Captain Black Big Band" is streaming until March 29th.

This is, I believe, Evans first foray into the big band genre. Previously, mostly piano trios. He's got a clear voice on piano, but I often find his compositions start as diamonds and end in shattered glass, so I've never been able to buy into him wholly. However, he's clearly got talent, so it's worth giving it a listen.