What are you listening to right now? (15 Flies in the Marmalade)

edited July 2016 in General
The fifteenth episode in the ongoing saga...for current listening, odd thoughts, and things noticed.

Comments

• edited July 2016
  • edited July 2016
    After treaming:

Fifteen Flies in the Marmalade

Jumping 31 years in the amazing journey of The Legendary Pink Dots and finding the band in as great shape as they ever have been.

The World is Beautiful. Blessed be. 
    - Edward Ka-Spel.

• edited July 2016
    Well, there's a big thunderstorm happening right now so I have time for new/old albums. From the SFL, page 7, when I was exploring Cabaret Voltaire connections.

1986 re-issued in 2009
    Bandcamp page

Credits

Here's part of a blurb from Brainwashed
    The methods used by Jonathan S. Podmore and Peter Hope on Dry Hip Rotation were quite oblique as far as strategies go. Storming the studio with little more than a few scrounged AKS synths, a violin, harmonica, and whatever else happened to be lying around they managed to smash together their art punk masterpiece in a mere six days, presumably so they could rest on the seventh. The majority of the music produced on the album does not even come from sources generally thought of as musical instruments. Everything from a Creda 400 tumble drier to toilets and scaffolding pipes are used (Joe Meek would have been proud). The outstanding lyricism and vocal performance of Peter Hope coupled with Jonathan’s tape loops (several meters in length) make for a riveting listen.
  • edited July 2016

"This track was originally written as a soundtrack for one Ukrainian movie. The track did not make it to the movie for the reasons unknown to me. Despite that it's a little out of what I currently do, I like this piece and decided not throwing it out to a trash can and share it publicly."

• Aaron Copland, performed by the Grand Rapids Symphony. 

• Letting this wash over me for the first time. Extended composition for a "double trio" - Pianist is Corey Smythe.

From the Pi Recordings website, more modern music names than you can shake a stick at:

The Inner Spectrum of Variables for Double Trio is an extended composition that draws from Sorey’s manifold musical influences, involving multiple harmonic, formal, rhythmic, and modal vocabularies all supported by an exploratory and improvisational framework. The largely composed work is inspired by the work of improviser/composer Lawrence D. “Butch” Morris, in particular his use of “conduction,” or conducted improvisation, Anthony Braxton, whom Sorey studied with at Wesleyan University, Harold Budd, as well as Ethiopian modal jazz, klezmer, and Western art music traditions. But that really is only the tip of the iceberg. Sorey also cites the practices of the Association for the Advancement of Creative Musicians (AACM), Schoenberg, Bach, Brahms, Scriabin, his studies with Fred Lerdahl at Columbia University, Steve Reich, his long-standing affinity for Morton Feldman, Frank Zappa, and even Louis Armstrong’s bravura playing –an inexhaustible wellspring of ideas.

• Creation cover art

Now on E Music

• edited July 2016
    Markus Reuter - Fool of Music

Stick Men + Midori

• Well, another spectacular storm has given me a bit more ass time. Catching up with a free one thanks to @Germanprof.
    KajaDraksler_2014 
  • Melanie Velarde - LaS

•  httpsf4bcbitscomimga3235461921_14jpg

Eve Beglarian - Songs from the River Project, Volume 2

• edited July 2016
    Well, one of the artists that stood out for me from the 

In Search of the Miraculous album was Dominic Thibault.

Thought I'd do some exploring...

Dominic Thibault is an electronic musician. As a solo artist, he composes post-acousmatic music. Live, he improvises with his DIY software instruments. He is involved in a noise duo named Tout Croche, runs the small label The Silent Howl and enjoys playing music with friends Sylvain Pohu, Ryoko Akama, and Girilal Baars amongst others. He is a studio geek, a modular synth player, a music coder and an improviser interested in the performance possibilities of technology in the studio and live. Soundcloud

Ps- Wow! 5*s again.
  • 2013 on his label The Silent Howl

From his website
    In the studio, Dominic Thibault composes musique concrète. Live, he performs and improvises with his digital feedback instrument (fXfD) to create a blend of noise, minimal techno and soundscape. 
  • edited July 2016
    The Silent Howl on Bandcamp
    His noise duo, Tout Croche, albums are all NYOP.
    I started here.

Made by Tout Croche who will forever be: 
    Dominic Thibault & Stephen Harvey 
  • Bandcamp:
    - This is excellent . . . Thanks.

More Bandcamp:

Totem électrique II

- "We would like to thank all the composers who accepted the challenge of writing a new musical piece for these non-conventional musical instruments. We also would like to thank Marie-Chantale Leclair and Jean-Marc Bouchard who tamed our instruments and performed many of the new works on this recording

Finally, we thank the Canada Council for the Arts for the financial support for the realization of this second Totem Électrique recording and would like to express our gratitude to the various Arts Councils who have made the Totem Électrique series possible through their generous financial support: the Canada Council for the Arts, the Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec, the Conseil des arts de Montréal and the SOCAN Foundation."
    - Found by browsing https://bandcamp.com/dominicthibaultfan
  • edited July 2016
    Well, there's lots more but I don't want to overdo it, I think I'll finish tonight's
    listen, thanks once again to @Germanprof, with.... 

Ps-  @Brighternow, most welcome and thanks for the links. 
  • edited July 2016

• Remembering the late Einojuhani Rautavaara

RAUTAVAARA Symphony No 7 Angel of Light  Dances with Winds Op 69  Cantus arcticus Op 61 album cover

- one of the most notable Finnish composers after Jean Sibelius.
  • I didn't know about his death. I've enjoyed his work. Will spend more time with it today.
    Thanks for the info.

• Jherek Bischoff, Cistern

• Laurence Vanay is the pseudonym for Jacqueline Thibault, wife of music producer and musician Laurent Thibault (Magma). The first ever reissue of her second album, originally released twice in 1975: a version on Galloway credited to fictitious English band Gateway, and once as a CAM label library LP—and incredibly rare in both incarnations. Pure genius: almost all instrumental, with gorgeous keyboards of many types (Hammond, Fender Rhodes, etc.), acoustic/electric guitar, even a little Zeuhl bass. Shimmering, dewy, mysterious, deeply emotional examples of melancholic musical beguilement; anyone with an affinity for golden age 4AD bands like the Cocteau Twins or Dead Can Dance will find much to love here, not to mention devotees of trip-hop pioneers like Portishead. A devastating high-fashion follow-up to the legendary "Galaxies".
  • edited July 2016

From many years ago and no longer free at €music . . .
  • Cool Maritime - Some Sort of Wave Portal

Cool Maritime is the New Age synth wizardry of Sean Hellfritsch – named after the coastal region between San Francisco and Vancouver, and is one of two releases in the 2nd movement of Leaving Records’ ongoing MNA (Modern New Age) series. 
    “Some Sort of Wave Portal is a phrase randomly jotted down in my movie ideas notepad. seemed fitting when reconsidered as a title, as i was feeling the wave connection in both the auditory & the oceanic sense of the word. surfing and synthesis are two very important practices in my life, and both open a wonderfully meditative portal that i can easily lose myself in. they are both grounding, energizing and inspiring.” 
    tunnels, mentor, coast quest – recorded in real time to cassette with a mini-modular synthesizer, roland re-201 space echo and teenage engineering op-1 
    spring – korg mono/poly, multi-tracked 
  • The Modern Lovers - s/t

Craig
  • The Lives of Many Others
    Kaja Draksler - The Lives of Many Others
This discussion has been closed.