What are you listening to right now? (16 Banners United)

Comments

• If I ever get the chance to meet John Ellis, I will say, hey I really enjoyed that album of New Orleans-flavored jazz you put out a few years ago. But what was the deal with the puppets?
  •   
    Rory Gallagher - Live! In Europe  1972 then Hot Tuna - The Phosphorescent Rat 1973

• Howlin' Wolf - Evil 

• Leadbelly 1973
  • I keep going back to this music video for "The Curse" by Bonnie "Prince" Billie w/ The Roots of Music. 
  • NYOP Bandcamp

• Steely Dan - Can't Buy A Thrill

I got Reelin' In The Years stuck in my head after doofy posted a video of it, then I had to get this album. $4.99 on Amazon for the cd free download! The songs on here I know, like Reelin, I never knew were Steely Dan, and never realized quite how good they were and how much I liked them and the songs I didn't know keep getting stuck in my head.

Then there's Dirty Work, which like 17 years ago, when we were first married, my wife sang the chorus to me and I said "that's not a real song" so it became a very long running joke about that song she made up one time... so when I got the cd, I had to play the song for her and finally admit I was wrong...

So it's become a bit of a Steely Dan summer... I bought Katy Lied too; it's in the car, and with Chicago a bit of a 70's soft rock summer, and Jeff "Skunk" Baxter (who according to Wikipedia is now a Congressional consultant on missile defense) has me even thinking of looking into a Dooby Brothers album! Who'd a thunk? Gotta love all the weird paths this place still sends me down.
  • Radiohead - Amnesiac
  • @amclark2If I have helped to spread the gospel of Steely Dan, it has all been worthwhile.

My personal favorite is "Countdown to Ecstasy." Especially "Bodhisattva," with two lead guitars tearing things up - That's Denny Dias on the left channel, Skunk on the right. Loved it at 14, love it now

• And no need to apologize for the Doobies. Jaw-dropping Michael McDonald vocals wrapped around a tasty Skunk solo here

• Image result for miles davis tasty pudding

Miles Davis for now, but I am thinking Steely Dan for the afternoon now....you guys put me in the mood. Katy Lied was a favorite, although I have worn out a copy or two of Aja.

We would sing that stupid song And every word we sang I knew was true
  • The Royal Scam is my fave, the title track is one of their best
  • Miles Davis and Horns cover by Dave Berg of Mad magazine fame. Used the cover in one of my recent zines for Franks APA.
  • Grateful Dead- 1977-09-03
  • Wilco - AM
  • edited August 2017
    Still stuck in my teenage years

Snooks Eaglin - New Orleans Street Singer

Ps I'm off to the vinyl to look for my Steely Dan
  • edited August 2017
    It's always a treat to visit with the vinyl. I've got all their albums through to Gaucho and have 2 of my favourites as back-ups on CD.

Just into my 20's. They'll be the fifth thing I've added to the new iTunes.
  • edited August 2017

Magnetic Sleep" by Phantom Garden (Ikue Mori + Zeena Parkins) from "Orra" (2008)
    Released by:
    Tzadik

Diaz de Leon The Soul Is the Arena album cover

Release date: 29 September 2017
  • edited August 2017
    I should also mention that I have 4 copies of Aja, 2 copies of Can't Buy A Thrill and the Greatest Hits 1972 -1978. A little more searching and I also have Donald Fagen's The Nightfly  and China Crisis' Flaunt The Imperfection - produced and arranged with Walter Becker.
    It also made me think of another of my teenage faves, Boz Scaggs. I have 13 of his albums in the library covering his releases from 1969 featuring Duane Allman to 1980's Middle Man. I kinda lost interest after that but I do have back-up CDs of My Time (2 vinyl copies) and Silk Degrees (3 vinyl copies).

1972 & 1976
    Freedom For The Stallion & Lowdown always bring back great memories.

The track that started me off

Loan Me A Dime with Duane Allman
  • Kangdong Ray - Or
  • Started to add some a's

• edited August 2017

• Blood Sweat and Tears - Child is the Father to the Man

Milton Nascimento and Lo Borges - Clubevda Esquina

The rock with horns discussion and listening to Chicago made me think of some of this Brazilian stuff; this or Arthur Verocai's self titled album have a lot in them to like if you like horns, strings or arrangements or jazz in rock. Also Toninho Horta, maybe Tim Maia although that's more soul.
  • edited August 2017
    Product Details
    The new vinyl version. Also ordered the other three - slow in arriving. Been to a couple of other stores in the interim, who have also had trouble getting these.
  • Yellow Swans - Deterioration