Upgrade coming

14567810»

Comments

• A little cash your way. Let us know if we are underestimating the scale of investment.
  • Thanks all :) you're pretty much on the right scale.
  • edited September 2019
    Brighternow said: in 2018
     @eythian
    Just in case it would be useful for you to know . . .

This pops up occationally but doesn't seem to affect anything:

This one pops up now and again, and this time it can be quite persistant.

ETA: this time it looks like this:

• Ah yeah ignore that. The disk is actually full, but I have space to shuffle things around and hope to do that in a day or two. Cheers for the heads-up though.
  • Brighternow said: in 2018
     @eythian
    Just in case it would be useful for you to know . . .

This pops up occationally but doesn't seem to affect anything:

This one pops up now and again, and this time it can be quite persistant.

ETA: this time it looks like this:

OK, moved some stuff and now that should stop happening.
  • ^^ Excellent ! . . . Thank you very much. ^^
  • I'm preparing a server move and probably upgrade at the same time, assuming I fit them all in to this afternoon. So expect some weirdness in the next couple of hours.
  • edited May 2020
    OK, the forum has now moved about 18,000km around the planet.
    You will have seen some ever-changing errors and strange results for a while there, but things seem to have stabilised now. It's possible that if you have a bad ISP you might not be seeing this for a few hours yet, but I can't control that.
    I haven't yet upgraded the forum version, that's something I want to spend a bit of time on making a tool to make that easier, at the moment it's a bit of a hassle. But I have other things needing done this evening so I'll come back to that in a few days.
    You hopefully won't notice any difference, except now it lives in Amsterdam rather than Wellington, so if you're Australasian it might be a bit slower, if you're European it might be a bit faster.
    If you do notice issues (it's not impossible that, say, permissions got broken somewhere during the migration) please let me know.
  • thanks for continuing to do this - much appreciated!
  • Amsterdam eh? Thought I could smell something. Thanks for the work.

• edited May 2020
    djh said:
    Amsterdam eh? Thought I could smell something. Thanks for the work.

Better than the constant wind of Wellington, anyway! Though, at the moment coffee shops are takeaway only.
  • I'm going to be doing an OS upgrade on the server underneath the forum. There'll be downtime, hopefully not much. If it goes swimmingly (hah) I might upgrade the forum version too, but no promises. That'll come soon anyway.
  • It went better than expected. Apparently I'd already done it some time in the past and forgot to document it. Time to see about upgrading the forum version then I guess.
  • OK this seems to have worked. You'll probably see some things different but hopefully they're minor. Give me a shout if you notice something broken.
  • Thanks for doing this much appreciated
  • edited April 2022
    Thank you! (Manages to successfully comment after the “post comment” button moved)
  • Thank you! (Manages to successfully comment after the “post comment” button moved)

LOL I missed on my first shot, too.
  • jonahpwll said:
    Thank you! (Manages to successfully comment after the “post comment” button moved)

Make that three people - we really are creatures of habit aren't we?
  • edited April 2022
    djh said:
    jonahpwll said:

Make that three people - we really are creatures of habit aren't we?

Haha it was really something.  I mean, I saw the button said "save draft" and proceeded to click it, and still was caught off guard that my comment didn't post.  For a brief second I pondered the meaning of "save draft" and whether I'd gone the last ten years saving drafts inattentively and where they might be saved... then remarked, hey, look at that button right there just below it.
    EDIT:  I did it again.
  • It occurs to me that since the upgrade my email notifications don't tell me who has just posted but instead just show a long string of code. Thus

[emusers. =?UTF-8?B?zLZvzLZyzLZnzLZuZXRdIERvb2Z5IGNvbW1lbnRlZCBvbiBXaGF0?= =?UTF-8?B?IGFyZSB5b3UgbGlzdGVuaW5nIHRvIChCKXJpZ2h0KGVyKW5vdz8gKDIyIFdl?= =?UTF-8?B?aWdodCBMaWZ0aW5nIEx1bHVzKQ==?=

Not the end of the world but I wondered if anyone else was getting the same. This is Windows 10 on a Chrome browser.

• Oh yeah, I noticed that too. It looks like they've broken how they do unicode in the emails and because I have the name set with the o̶r̶g̶net bit it gets confused. I'll turn that off which should tidy things up a bit.
  • Like I said no biggy but thanks for all the work you do here "under the hood".
  • No worries, the emails are looking better now, thanks for testing ;)
  • Cheers looks sorted! Back to the music...
  • Just a heads up that those of you on gmail may be missing notification emails. Gmail seems to have tightened up their incoming spam checking and I've noticed it rejecting some mails. However I'm preparing to go on holiday to NZ in a few days time so don't know if I'll get a chance to look at it before then. I'll probably have couch time while there to sort it out though.