What are you listening to right now? (part 4)

Comments

• @greg: Living in a geographically small country does attune one to the diversity around one, whether across the border or just down the street. I don't think most Americans are aware how some parts of their own country can be like a foreign land.
  • edited March 2011
    25974155-1.jpg
    Rain and Rivers by Lusitania. Country-punk that is sometimes thrilling, sometimes a little too conscience of its efforts at being deep roadhouse music. $1+

ETA: if you can get past the crappy first song--Train on steroids, if you will--this is actually compelling.
  • edited March 2011
    600x600.jpg
  • edited March 2011
    4228844289-1.jpg

EP by Chapel Hill's Cassis Orange. Keyboards, echoed vocals, drum-machiney drums, distorted bass. Very cool, very catchy. Germanprof will love the song named for one of history's greatest pretexts. Free.
  • 300x300.jpg

So I have two kids, one 4, and one 1.5, and the older one never had a strong interest in music at all, and especially not other than kids music (althoughthis has gotten lots and lots of play), but the younger one seems a lot more into music, and loves to listen to just about anything and do this funny little dance he has, so we've been expanding a bit. So anyway my wife just sent me a text that they all got in the van, and the younger one started screaming "cash, cash, cash" at the top of his lungs - because he wanted to listen to Johnny Cash. Mission accomplished.
  • @greg, I often feel like I'm living the opening scenes of Up where we keep saying "Soon. Next year." because something always comes up that keeps us from going. First it was grad school, then it was house, then the kid. Excuses strung like pearls. :-/

51mOm4dVY9L._SS500_.jpg
    (url=>amz)

Been 20 years since I listened to this album. Still as good as I remember it.
  • amclark2 - Well done, sir.

51Ii7lWQ52L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Craig
  • Waggers.jpg
    Very nice indeed - thanks, Bad Thoughts!
  • edited March 2011
    - Streaming from Bandcamp:

2678674298-1.jpg
    "On his follow-up to „Lazy Sunday Funerals“, Marsen Jules continues to work on his vision of blending other-worldly strings with fragile ambient sounds. The resulting compositions are reminiscent of the deep, atmospheric sounds of the „Pop Ambient“ compilations on KOMPAKT, but in their minimalistic approach also pay respect to experimental composers such as Steve Reich and Eric Satie."
    - Just my words. . .
    ;-)
  • 51l2kFk6CnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Haven't heard this in a while. Thanks Guvera. Thanks also I guess to emu, for posting a Chuck Klosterman interview on 17dots which led me to buy and read "Eating the Dinosaur" which had an essay about In Utero which made me want to hear it.
  • 600x600.jpg[/url]
    Thanks Guvera.
  • 51BMY6WBMNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

If this is the sort of thing you like, which I do, you will like this one. Via Guvera.

@amclark, need to know which Johnny Cash songs are getting top toddler airplay. Get Rhythm? Ring of Fire? Sunday Morning Coming Down?
  • @elwoodicious - but I'm exactly the same. I've always wanted to drive down the West Coast of the States since I was in my final year of school - it was actually the Summer of Love. Yes I am that old! The nearest west I've been is Washington. We know it'll take us a few weeks to even do the west coast - it is always next year we'll do it. We thern decided that we should try the year that my wife retires, going in the early Autumn, which will be 2013. But then we realised that that will be when our grandaughter starts school, and we wouldn't want to miss that, and so it goes on. For us it is so much easier for us to travel abroad - as it is so close, but you do see diversity. But I also do agree with Bad Thoughts - even in the UK you can get that diversity. Anyway, back to the music. It had to be this:

cover-love-forever_changes.jpg
  • 61%2BbiTaisrL._SS500_.jpg
    (url=>amz)

Bombs are raining down on cities, the dead are clawing their way out of the grave, mutant bikers rule the highways, and you just want to surf: this is your soundtrack.
  • 300x300.jpg

- From a new label on Emusic: L'Empreinte Digitale.
  • edited March 2011
    FEELIN' LOOSE AND FREAKY!

514lfq-0%2B9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • @BN: thanks for noting the label--there seems to be some interesting stuff.
  • 300x300.jpg

@Doofy - it's this collection, so a bit of everything. My four year thinks Boy Named Sue is hilarious, and calls the dog Sue. He also says, "Daddy, it's best to leave your guns at home."
  • He also says, "Daddy, it's best to leave your guns at home."
    Right there is a parenting win on many levels.

51irGQ1AM5L._SS500_.jpg
    (url=>amz)
  • RonHardy-1.jpg

Ron Hardy mix, live at the Music Box, 1984
  • My four year thinks Boy Named Sue is hilarious

Well then lay this one on him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9X3iF6ntXQ
  • 31AV1E8AW4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Revisiting my teenage roots. Even though I have their first 6 albums (Black Sabbath, Paranoid, Masters of Reality, Vol. 4, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Sabotage) permanently burned into my brain from back then it was a very rockin' and enjoyable time over the last two days listening to them all over again and with no parents around to have to worry about 'keeping the noise down'. I did give their last two albums (Technical Ecstasy, Never Say Die!) from this set the obligatory listen and those two particular albums [still] do absolutely nothing for me.

If I end up working at home tomorrow as well, I'll have to dig out one of my other box sets that I haven't probably listened to in ages.
  • edited March 2011
    61kW9XBMBrL._SS500_.jpg

It's not Bridge Across Forever, but it is growing on me.
    [Edit] Track 11 is epic. Haven't air drummed like that in quite a long time :-)
  • edited March 2011
    818908071-1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.