What are you listening to right now? (part 4)

Comments

• 3580019149-1.jpg

More post-rock goodness from Future Records, though this has more of a Pelican appeal. NYOP
  • edited March 2011
    - From hellosQuare Recordings @ Bandcamp:

231525460-1.jpg
    Bown. Hollo. Lim-Klumpes. Ahmad. Dorrian.
    "One for the fans - a free compilation with pieces featuring Ollie Bown (Icarus), Adrian Klumpes (3ofmillions, ex-Triosk), Peter Hollo (FourPlay String Quartet, Raven), label boss Shoeb Ahmad and Evan Dorrian (Spartak, Pollen Trio), Enjoy!"

- Awesome !
  • Apropos to a few posts on page 9 of this thread, as it turns out. Sorry if I've posted this before, but I'm listening to it aagain.
    51cRBfkjFwL._SS500_.jpg
  • 00012606_tunng.jpg

The second of a couple of singles from Tunng that I downloaded a couple of days ago
  • edited March 2011
    Currently streaming:
    2900992561-1.jpg
    The project consists of four long, impressionistic jazz pieces, somewhat in the Pharaoh Sanders vein. Interesting guest musicians: Moik! (that's Mike Watt) and Julianna Barwick. $8 ($7 at eMordac)

Earlier today I listened to samples of Watt's new album, Hyphenated-Man, a concept piece on the figures in Bosch. The thirty songs are really short--not only can you hear a good deal of the album just through samples, this is perhaps the closest Watt has gotten to this aesthetic since the early Minutemen.
  • edited March 2011
    Brutal Technical Death Metal...not normally into this kind of thing, but I'm really liking this record. Sort of reminds me of the Vital Remains album from a few years ago with Glenn Benton on vocals.

img_1_th.jpg

More of the same...kind of on a kick here I guess. This is Obscura's 2006 album that was remastered last year, they'll have a new one out soon...looking forward to it

medium5.jpg
  • Welcome jk666! If you don't mind me asking, how did you happen to find us?

8582.jpg

Craig
  • 2044550793-1.jpg
    (url=>bandcamp)

Rec'd by Jason Parker and damn is it fine. So very fine, like a low-ball of bourbon with 3 cubes of ice on a Friday night fine.
  • sira.jpg

Started playing this on the way home from work - I just had to finish it, as it so good mixing traditional Kora playing with trumpet. Currently downloading Nate Omdal Quntiet. That'll be next!
  • 1730229259-1.jpg

Now playing the third track and I agree entirely with elwoodicious
  • edited March 2011
    300x300.jpg

It's growing on me.
  • edited March 2011
    @amclark2 - good! I know it is difficult but I try to keep his music apart from all the other parts of his life. Not sure if that is the right ethical approach but that is one I take when it suits me. For example, I won't listen to Brian Ferry because of his right wing political views. But I have always liked Thriller since it came out - I even own the LP and a CD too. You've reminded me I don't remember playing it recently. Maybe next up after this

41Cvc0a0dqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thanks for the recommendation Jason, really enjoying it
  • Next up in the car whilst I go to Tesco (our equivalent of Walmart) will be

34-1.jpg
  • @cafreema from one of the fine folks over at the All About Jazz board...
  • edited March 2011
    @cafreema from one of the fine folks over at the All About Jazz board...

That you, JustHerb?

-Jonahpwll (aka dsschicago)

EDIT: Ah, just saw your PM. Yes, I'm the one. JK's music tastes, his non-music interests, and his wry sense of humor seemed like a good fit for this forum, so I sent an invitation. Also, he kept starting threads on AAJ that were also getting started up here, so it really was an elementary decision to bring him over here.
  • There, now you know who to blame when things get ugly...
  • Oh, I'd have blamed jonahpwll anyway. Welcome again!

I'm now listening to my Minnesota Music playlist. Currently it's Prince - "Raspberry Beret".

Craig
  • edited March 2011
    There, now you know who to blame when things get ugly...
    Oh, I'd have blamed jonahpwll anyway.

It's the price I pay for being so tragically handsome.

NP:

cover_9248832009.jpg

Bill Frisell - "Ghost Town"
    =This album is making me time travel a bit right now. I just remembered how when I used to work in the Loop, how on nice days I would ride the Wendella Boat Taxi up and down the Chicago River during my lunch break, eating my lunch and listening to this album or "Unspeakable" (also Frisell). Damn that was so much fun and a peaceful break from the office.
  • 41hC85x5-IL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Back in emu's good old days, this album cost me about $.22.
  • 51OJy8MwsgL._SS500_.jpg

Method Acting / Cortez the Killer is ten and a half minutes of wow....
This discussion has been closed.