What are you listening to right now? (part 4)

Comments

• edited March 2011
    cockburn-2.jpg

Newly downloaded, so first play. Thanks germanprof for introducing me to Bruce Cockburn a couple of months ago.
  • edited March 2011
    51UVX5HKIiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I listen to this at least once aweek - one of the all time classics
  • edited March 2011
    414752619-1.jpg

Interesting album. I love the transitions on the third song. Good choice, Dr. Mutex.

ETA: I also love the fourth song. It's like the Zombies beat Syd Barrett into submission. This dude knows how bring disparate pop and psych elements together.
  • 35091.jpg

to be followed by

000a2999_medium.jpeg

Already set up on my ipod whilst I am out in the car to go to the supermarket over lunch
  • edited March 2011
    600x600.jpg
    "Debut by trio of Stephen O'Malley (Sunn0))))), Daniel O'Sullivan (Guapo), and Vincent de Roguin (Shora). Taking its title from The Iliad, the music here is deep and cosmic, completely unlike anything you'd expect from such heavyweights. More in the tradition of 'Spiral Insana" and "Cyborg" than anything, the tracks float along in a masterful collage of activity, where careful scene changes highlight O'Sullivan's classic but artfully placed Rhodes bombs, de Roguin's organ, and O'Malley's guitar. Extraordinary effort has gone into editing, mastering, and shaping these pieces - these are not tossed off improvisations or "side-project" orphans."
    - VHF Records 2006
    - Such a great band.
  • 51IbWGXVwZL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

A favorite from Amie days. It's on eMu too.
  • edited March 2011
    51wA4sq5zhL._SS400_.jpg

Bruce Cockburn - Small Source of Comfort. Good album, if you like Cockburn (and I do not say that lightly), you will love this album. I bought this on eMu, it is encoded LAME 3.98, VBR, all tracks are nearly 256.

I started the morning with the free track from Alexi Murdoch's new album and thought I might like to get the album. I think it was the DotD a few days ago, but now Amazon has the tracks at $1.19 each.

I like The Suburbs, but this still just puts it to shame.

Craig
  • 51nGNaW1oEL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    Almost forgot that I kept buying music while on vacation...
  • @greg - I love that album so much - it gives me warm fuzzy feelings all over.
  • @thom - I relly like Mark Knopfler's playing. I've got probably six of his solo albums, not sure which is my favourite, but this is high on the list. In many respects he is quite under-rated, compared with, say, Eric Clapton. Yet techically, IMO, he is virtually as good , perhaps even a wider range of styles. I actually saw him play a couple of times with EC, probably mid 80s, where he was an excellent second lead guitar; Phil Collins played drums too on one of those tours. Also saw him a couple of times with Dire Straits - much more rock orientated in concert, and once solo some years ago.
  • 51u7o7%2B57HL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

They're called Ben Folds Five, but there's only three of them!

Craig
  • 300x300.jpg
    I'll be joining all you Cockburn listeners in a few days - have the CD on order.
  • edited March 2011
    300x300.jpg
    Wires Under Tension - Light Science - (Western Vinyl 2011)
    "Bronx duo Wires Under Tension play a fluttering post-'90s post-rock churn without the introspection or meandering--in essence, they go in for the kill. Like Tortoise fueled by Hot 97, the cycling minimalist rhythms of violinist Christopher Tignor and drummer Theo Met (both of YIMBY vets Slow Six) are more a suckerpunch than a slow boil, aiming straight for the chiming, resonant and anthemic in five-minute bites. The songs on their debut album, Light Science, explode with multi-layered walls of strings, Eyvind Kang-informed horn lines, and all sorts of digital love--all held down by the roiling and naked drumming of Metz. First taste "Mnemonics In Motion" is more music than two men should reasonably be able to make at once, Tignor's violins going through a gauntlet of funhouse mirrors while Metz holds down a devilishly funky groove."
    - Village Voice.
    - Brilliant !
  • edited March 2011
    300x300.jpg
    This appears with such regularity on this thread I finally had to join the party to find out what I was missing. Quite charming.
  • 31OMPHRaUoL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    1385083359-1.png
    Post-rock to post-punk...
  • ...to post-bop!

61SFDA37rvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • edited March 2011
    @thom I like that Seven Mile Journey album a lot. Reinvigorated a genre I was tiring of.

Post-long-meeting...

51RcGtTvqgL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
    Oaks by Ethan Rose
  • edited March 2011
    Started on
    300x300.jpg
    But didn't care for it much (glad I only paid Amie rates), so skipped on to:
    300x300.jpg
    Much better.
  • Ladies & Gentlemen !

- Homage to the International Women Day.
    elru_098_artwork.jpg
This discussion has been closed.