What are you listening to right now? (part 4)

Comments

• 300x300.jpg

Giuseppe Ielasi - (third) Stunt
  • 300x300.jpg

300x300.jpg

300x300.jpg

I really love these james blake singles. anybody have anything to say about the album?
  • I really love these james blake singles. anybody have anything to say about the album?

it surprised me. at first, i was really shocked that it was more conventional songwriting and singing. then, i began to appreciate how it bridged the gap between conventional songs and the dubstep-like (tho not dupstep) work he had done in his singles up to that point. and once i reached that understanding, the melodies and the hooks began to take hold.

i'll have more to say later, but for now, this is a really -- really -- good album. by the way, your listening habits seem to be veering toward items in the electronic, underground dance genres. has this always been an interest of yours, or is it something new (can't recall, atm, if you are/were one of the driving forces behind the "rolling dubstep" threads on the boards).
  • I have been reading the dubstep thread, but don't know enough to comment. Electronic is a long time thing with me, but it's also something of an ebb and flow.

Recently I've become re-obsessed with volume 1 of Clicks and Cuts, which happens every once in a while, and that's been driving some of my electronic explorations. The dubstep thread has been interesting too, and I also got the Wire's 2010 rewind which had a lot of interesting electronic stuff. emusic's new format has also driven me into ep's and singles more and more, which there's a lot of good electronic singles and eps.
  • @amclark2 - Daniel knows these styles better than me, but I'll concur that the album is really good.

neonbelle2.gif
  • edited March 2011
    album-wind-on-the-water.jpg

Still trying to play music from my itunes that have had only one play; this was last played three years ago!
  • folder.jpg?cnt=0

Bone Drones by mystified
  • edited March 2011
    portico_quartet_252272t.jpg

Portico Quartet - Isla
  • 300x300.jpg

Oh, such a good album. Haven't listened for a while. Still a good deal at eMu.
  • RC029.jpg]
    Entia Non and Tanner Menard - I Never Expected Your Decays / Part One (Rural Colours - March 16, 2011)

"“I never expected your decays” is collaboration between Tanner Menard (USA/Install/Archaic Horizons/Milieu Music/SlowFlow,…) and James McDougall (A.k.a Entia Non/Australia/Siridisc/Mystery Sea/Taalem/Ripples/IH,…) James received Tanner’s piano melodies and combined various additional layers of processed sounds and textural field recordings. The result was then returned to Tanner for additional refinement. Recorded 2008/2009."
  • emusic's new format has also driven me into ep's and singles more and more, which there's a lot of good electronic singles and eps.

yeah, me too. i'm kind of cool with it, tho. sometimes it's better to love an act for one good, edgy single, rather than keep hanging on, album-after-album, hoping they recapture the magic that made me love them at first.
  • Yeah, I'm finding a lot to love in shorter formats. It's also why the hamfisted autpmatic $5.99 prices have been bugging me so much lately though.

Henning+Christiansen-rear+copy.JPG
  • is this you daniel?
  • edited March 2011
    Pretty sure that's Daniel. The other one is me!
  • edited March 2011
    I thought that might be you - with the Chicago connection and all. I've got to start saving some credits for when these member reviews come out. Good job to you both.
  • 3470348967-1.jpg

Reminds me of the Nostalgia 77 album with Keith Tippett. There's some muscular jazzy playing, although it can get a bit pop in some areas. Free at Bandcamp
  • edited March 2011
    YouTube_-_My_Favorite_Color-20110322-191644.jpg
    Listening to the new Kutiman track, My Favorite Color. Man is a genius.
  • @amclark2 - thanks for the link - this page is incredibly difficult to find on the UK version of emusic, as I suspect they don't want complaints that we can't download the suggestions! I'm doing it in a couple of months time so it is good to see how others approach their reviews.

@Doofy - brilliant first choice, thanks - I'll download in a few minutes
  • edited March 2011
    511GcqZFZVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thanks Jonah
  • edited March 2011
    51L9zfNjHeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'm really not sure how to classify this. It is on the emusic list of most downloaded jazz records, but emusic also describes its genre as classical and its style as easy listening and folk! It is pleasant background music, but much more than that. Maybe this Guardain review will help:
    Arthur Jeffes has a difficult problem. He will always be compared to his brilliant and wildly original father, especially as he has bravely set out to continue his dad's musical tradition. With the Penguin Cafe Orchestra, Simon Jeffes created some of the most unusual and delightful music of the last 40 years, an "imaginary folk" style that mixed classical and global influences with the patterns and repetition of systems music, with predictably quirky instrumentation. With his Music from the Penguin Cafe project two years ago, Arthur set out to revive those compositions, and now with his Penguin Cafe band he has recorded an album of his own compositions in much the same style. There's nothing here to quite match such PCO classics as Telephone and Rubber Band, Beanfields or Music for a Found Harmonium, but it's an impressive attempt. Many of the pieces are dominated by sometimes heavy-handed piano, and these Penguins are at the best when the instrumentation is more experimental. There's rousing cuatro work on the atmospheric, Latin-influenced Pale Peach Jukebox, upbeat ukulele playing on Two Beans Shaker, and a fine blend of Kathryn Tickell Northumbrian pipes and piano on Landau.
This discussion has been closed.