What are you listening to right now? (part 4)

Comments

• ca411_01_front72_thumb.jpg?cnt=0

I've given this a fair shot, but find it a little too electro-ghosty for my tastes.
  • Dreary day means I listen to some of my more interesting music:

Earlier:

51UOf653JHL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Finishing now:

4235486092-1.jpg

Up next:

51eCMHRquYL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Craig
  • 51LjsiB0deL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    Takes me back to when I was pretending I would do a best of the decade list...
  • edited March 2011
    61FcUyiYJwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Review from last Friday's Guardian
    Trembling Bells have moved on. Once hailed as heroes of the new psych-folk movement, the Glasgow-based four-piece edge towards the mainstream with an album that is confident, melodic and crammed with rousing folk-rock anthems with a quirky edge. There are no traditional songs here, but song-writer Alex Neilson says he "thinks of traditional folk music as being like my first serious girlfriend", and almost every track has the sturdy resonance of a great British folk ballad. There are reminders of his Yorkshire upbringing on Goathland, which sounds like a slowed-down English dance tune, and also on the pounding Otley Rock Oracle, which starts like a horror story from the Yorkshire Moors ("once I saw a seven-headed dog") and ends with a wailing guitar work-out. This is an album of strong songs and strong vocals; Lavinia Blackwall is soaring, operatic and bravely full-tilt. She eases from the stirring Where Do I Go from You? to the cool and medieval-influenced Colour of Night, the Americana of Cold Heart of Mine, and the poignant but still rousing New Year's Eve, The Loneliest Night of the Year. Magnificent.
  • - More Colin Stetson streaming from Bandcamp:

2821705284-1.jpg
    Colin Stetson's Slow Descent - S/T
    released 03 October 2003

Colin Stetson: Saxophones, Rhodes
    Eric Perney: Bass
    Roger Reidlbauer: Guitar
    Tim Strand: Drums
    Tom Yoder: Trombone
  • 4010798102-1.jpg

Thanks kargatron, I couldn't resist anything you called the best ever. It sounds quite good so far.

I am starting to edge more and more towards cancelling at emu. Sure I can find stuff I want there. But more and more I'm finding myself wanting to spend that money elsewhere, on things like this.
  • amclark: those two electronic discs (from girl unit and shackleton) are fantastic.
  • 300x300.jpg
    - (Les Disques VICTO 2001)
  • edited March 2011
    - A Free Albums Galore rec:

Indonesian_Netlabel_Union_-_Perempuan_-_20110105124505448.jpg?width=290&height=290
    Hujan! Rekords Sampler
    "This album is part of Indonesian Netlabel Union compilation series. It features tracks from woman-fronted bands from Indonesia. Perempuan means Woman."
    http://www.hujanrekords.co.nr/
    Hujan! @ The Archive
  • edited March 2011
    BT, Is Leif Elggren as bizzare as the clip suggests ? (BTW. Elggren = Moosebranch) :-)

3956279912-1.jpg
    - Low Point/Bandcamp 2010 (4.50 GBP)
    - "Utilising an instrumental palette of guitar, strings and brass, often played by classically trained musicians drafted in on the spur of the moment, the sounds of these sessions were recorded as Dunn dictated and then reworked via computer processing into spine-tingling soundscapes.

Dunn's compositions here are fully rich in timbre, painterly, hopelessly romantic and haunting; balanced between a wash of pure sound and an ornate yet subtle dance of classical instrumentation. Occupying a truly cinematic scope, these pieces can transport the listener from the deepest and most forgotten landscapes to the furthest recesses of time."

- Just my words . . .
  • BN, the clip is an accurate sample of of the first three and a half minutes--manipulated tape of a theologian. Actually, I like it. The next fifteen consist of playing with static--not entirely uninteresting, but the change occurs abruptly and without any logic.
  • Why do I love MOG? Because now I know I have to grab everything The Zs have put out on vinyl:
    51alR-kZp7L._SL500_AA280_.jpg
  • Easy_Star_all_Stars-Easy_Stars_Lonely_Hearts_Dub_Band_b.jpg

Reggae Sgt Pepper!
  • 51ByAVyMckL._SS400_.jpg

It is Frank Sinatra day in my office, so I am listening to the complete Reprise Recordings. Smooth.
This discussion has been closed.