What are you listening to right now? (part 4)

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Special recognition award to cafreema for being first to weigh in on "Best of 2011" list!
    Nah. A couple folks mentioned it regarding the new Decemberists album. I did not.

Earl-Sweatshirt-EARL.jpg

Craig
  • edited March 2011
    300x300.jpg
    Vaporbend EP by Kiln
    I think I like Dusker a little better (Fyrepond (=>youtube) especially is magical - music that makes me smile), but this is pretty good too, though a little gloomier.
  • edited March 2011
    121354314.jpeg

- Also missing Amie Street. . .
  • 61Ac6b47jgL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

well, this and rebecca black.
  • 438562e89da00dceda3d3110.L.jpg
    (url=>amz)
    Throwback to when the wife and I were dating.
  • 21IVvn7zGAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

My wife's around at the weekend - I have to be more careful in what I play!
  • edited March 2011
    15073968.jpg
    (link is just to discogs as I don't see this for sale anywhere - self-released CD from 2004)
    The Way it All Would End by A Five and Dime Ship
  • edited March 2011
    300x300.jpg

I bit my nails as this downloaded, hoping it hadn't been fraunhofered. All but one tracks are above 190. And the music is awesome! (I'm still compensating for no Carolina Chocolate Drops. I expect this to go on for a while.)
  • edited March 2011
    3087941483-1.jpg

Gorgeous ? - Brilliant ? - Fantastic ? - WOW ? - Awesome ?
    - Couldn't decide. . .
    ;-)
  • edited March 2011
    51UjM2ZVYxL._SS500_.jpg
    (url=>amz)
  • edited March 2011
    615%2BCfHWO1L._SS500_.jpg
    (url=>amz)

Sunday is brass band day.
  • 31Ti603elpL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I should have be using this to build albums on Guvera. Stupid me.
  • edited March 2011
    cnv67.jpg
    … for four hand-made (e)bowed zithers tuned to the Eikosany, a 20-tone just intonation structure devised by American theorist Erv Wilson.

The four parts were recorded individually, then the work was assembled digitally according to a conceptual score, most unlike a conventional musical score An offset digitally reversed version of the original created a retrograde canon, a device favoured by early choral composers. Apart from that no digital effects or processes were necessary - what the listener hears is the sound of a justly intoned quartet of acoustic instruments.

ETA: I'll have to explore more of CONV when I have time.
  • BN, you need this!

51x2bU-AsRL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Synthesized bird sounds assembled like a field recording. From boomkat:
    Described as "field recordings of genuinely fake nature sounds", this piece was constructed over the course of some four years, over which electroacoustic composer Anders Dahl synthesized sounds of the natural world (birds, insects and other beasts) using only toys and mechanical devices. The outcome is unbelievably realistic and detailed, and you'll find yourself completely immersed in Dahl's uncanny-valley dwelling soundscape. Very highly recommended.
  • TesseracT - One

VERY good Prog Metal

Smx184732.jpg
  • 6107-Wa63fL._SS500_.jpg

I think this would sound exceptionally good on vinyl. But alas, I am in my office so digital it is.
  • stetson_feb0510event.jpg

The Tim Hecker part.

Craig
  • Colin's solo records are insane...
  • edited March 2011
    BN, you need this!
    - I'll take your word for it. - Thanks BT !

Craig, is there a Hecker/Stetson link ?

ca429_01_front72.jpg

- Spaced out in the most delightful way one can possibly imagine . . .
  • Hecker.

Haven't found the Stetson portion.

Craig
  • edited March 2011
    Thanks Craig !

- Streaming from Bandcamp:
    690157525-1.jpg

- Wild !
  • 51C85ZFRJSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    Free from the Amie years.
  • edited March 2011
    I just got Etta Baker's One Dime Blues from emu; just finished posting about it on the bluegrass/Rounder thread over there!

300x300.jpg

I got a lot of singles/ep's/micro albums this month. This is a super minimal glitchy electronic thing.
  • 300x300.jpg

Thanks to kargatron for pointing out Bhob Rainey. I also picked up the Nmperign/Jason Lescalleet album from bandcamp, but haven't listened yet. Loving this though.
This discussion has been closed.