What are you listening to right now? (part 4)

Comments

• box.jpg

Currently on Disc #2 - Youth of America
  • 85908992-1.jpgMotel Beds - Sunfried Dreams Free for email. Creative Commons license.
    From Bandcamp thread, posted by ScissorMan
  • edited March 2011
    Bluejungle-Baby-Dont-Cry.jpg

Blue Jungle, Baby Don't Cry. Try to imagine The Sundays on heroin... or maybe what Lydia Lunch would sound like if she wanted her fans to have a good time. Also available (and streamable) from Bandcamp.
  • edited March 2011
    Toumani%2BDiabate,%2BKetama%2B%26%2BDanny%2BThompson%2B-%2BSonghai%2B(1988).jpg

Amazingly you sometimes get what you ask from emusic! I requested this and the follow-up Songhai 2 ten days or so ago on one of their moderator request threads. Both have now been added to the catalogue in the UK
    One of the most interesting multicultural fusions of the 1980s was created by Mali-born kora (21-stringed lute) player Toumani Diabate, British bass player Danny Thompson, and members of Spanish flamenco group Katemah. Initially intending to record a one-time album in 1988, the group reformed to record a second album, Songhai 2, six years later. At the time of the first recording sessions, Diabate, the son of influential kora player Sidike Diabate, had begun to attract international attention with his solo album, Kaira. Released the previous year, the album remains one of the best-selling recordings of solo kora playing. Katemah was also beginning to gather steam. Consisting of two brothers -- Antonio and Juan Miguel Carmona and a cousin, Juan Carmona, the group had released its self-titled debut album in 1985. A founding member of British folk-rock group, Pentangle, Thompson remains become one of England's busiest sidemen, appearing on a lengthy list of albums by such top-notch artists as Richard Thompson, Loudon Wainwright III, and Tom Paxton.
  • edited March 2011
    Just now:
    300x300.jpg
    Now:
    51fjaIRM4oL._SS400_.jpg
    Field Recordings From The Cook County Water Table by Brokeback
    Going with a Chicago theme.
    By the way, if anyone knows anything else that sounds like this Brokeback album, I'd love to know. Sublime. (Here's a sample)
  • edited March 2011
    Listened to this while in my car

albumcoverMilesDavis-RoundAboutMidnight.jpg?1198557362

Now back home and listening to:

cover.jpg

A couple of months back someone recommended this here - only now have I downloaded off my SFL
  • 51U51xPgdrL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    There was a time when I listened to new releases multiple time in the first week. I'm trying to get back to that.
  • I agree with that Thom! So I am now listening to

5535491.jpg?282
  • 61U4E57KFwL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    Confused by all the recent proclamations of how great this album was, so I'm listening again...
  • edited March 2011
    Streaming from Bandcamp:
    216783122-1.jpg
    Nmperign and Jake Meginsky - Selected Occasions of Handsome Deceit

Bhob Rainey - soprano saxophone
    Greg Kelley - trumpet
    Jake Meginsky - percussion

- Far F****** Out !
  • edited March 2011
    78541.jpg

Second part of a double CD re-issue of two earlier LPs.Much more mainstream, rock influenced that I remember from Maddy Prior's folk music.
  • edited March 2011
    Nmperign and Jake Meginsky - Selected Occasions of Handsome Deceit
    Yeah, I liked that one. Did you check out Rainey from my pointer, or were you already aware of him (them)? You must check out Love Me Two Times (Nmperign & Jason Lescalleet) - I'm serious when I say that sometimes, when I listen to that album, I think "this is the greatest album ever". A contemporary classic in the field. I really love it.

4010798102-1.jpg
    ____
    Added by Dr. Mutex: Free listening (bandcamp).
  • edited March 2011
    41iiuhpxTuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

My 18 year old niece suggested I buy this- she had been recomended it by her bandleader in the Saturday morning youth big band where she plays saxophone. I think she hopes that if I buy it, she can have a copy - see ethics thread though at the other place! I'm certainly liking it so far
  • Starting:
    51dnLNp3R%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Earlier:
    Alhaji Bai Konte: Kora Melodies from the Republic of Gambia
    Dom Flemons, American Songster
    Harvey Milk, Small Turn of Human Kindness
    Anthony Braxton, Septet (2008) (Thanks, Doofy. Great show.)
  • Oh, there was something else I was listening to today.

Leolani-Zebra-Pineapple_355.jpg

It's a Leolani zebrawood soprano ukulele that I ordered for my four-year old son. It has an impressive, almost deep, sound for something in its price range, giving a nice stringy sound with some sustain. Moreover, its an instrument that my son can get his hands around and won't seem limited without breaking the bank. He loves it.
  • @Bad Thought, where did you order it from?

51evKhHCCkL._SS500_.jpg
    (url=>amz)
  • I ordered from Hawaii Music Supply, a shop based in Hawaii. They place tons of videos online, and they have a decent reputation among those at various ukulele forums, and is noted as a place to go when shopping in Hawaii. If I were shopping for something more expensive (not for the boy), the common advice is to order a Mainland directly from the workshop.
  • 2339207141-1.jpg
    "When something is bad and wrong, it ain't right"

I'm Speechles !
  • tumblr_lgqftld6L21qdrz3yo1_500.jpg

Nice. Free.
  • More Champions League tonight - no more music until the morning. Football takes over my listening on a night like this - last 16 in Europe's top competition. As I don't like Chelsea I'll support FC Copenhagen along with Brighternow. The problem is Chelsea have a 3-0 lead. or Real Madrid might be more interesting... they do have an ex Man U player in Ronaldo!
This discussion has been closed.