I love twitter

Comments

• i like twitter a lot, but i use it mostly to communicate with people of interest (miami heat beatwriters, for instance, and some bloggers, journalists and economists (who rarely respond, but whatevs)). and i use it to keep a running record of articles or songs i want to come back to. my tweets-to-followers ratio is horrible!, if i cared about such things.
  • I missd the Fathers Day input - but I'd have chosen something by either Duke Ellington or Benny Goodman. My father (90) still plays his saxophone most days - it is one of the things that keeps him going. He used to play in swing bands way before I was born, and still does occasionally. But Ellington and Goodman are amongst his favourites. For something contempoary I might choose James Hamilton, but that is not on emusic unfortunately
  • Got my Fathers Day credit, feeling flush! I thought the original tweet said the credit would be good only until June 30, but Acct info gives an exp date of July 20.
  • I got it too - despite posting a fraction after their "finish line" tweet. Nice of them.
  • If you're in Chicago and a Neko Case fan, you will want to know about this: http://poetryfoundationnekocase.eventbrite.com/ Just a few more hours to sign up!
  • Today on @emusic:

"eMusic US members, if you tweet us the album you want to listen to over July 4th wknd in the next three hours, we'll credit you its cost."
    "Once you've submitted your request follow @eMusicHelps and direct message them with your eMusic login to claim your credit!"
    "eMusic US members-credits will be added to your accounts on 7/1 by @eMusicHelps and will be valid through 7/15."

I think you have about an hour left to do this. I sent a DM to eMusicHelps and got a response in two minutes telling me to enjoy my credits. I guess I should have requested the Philip Glass Retrospective or something extremely overpriced, but I played the game and chose Tom Petty's debut, since it has American Girl.
  • I went "SI, PARA USTED - THE FUNKY BEATS OF REVOLUTIONARY CUBA " Regular album price, if a little (or a lot) pinko for Independence Day!

Thanks for posting this, would've missed it. Still a little time left if you jump...
  • edited July 2011
    Thanks for the heads up! Yeah, I was tempted to suggest something like "Nah und Fern" by Gas ($24) - but if they gave me $24 I wouldn't spend it on that anyway, so it felt too dishonest. Just went for the most expensive thing I might actually get off my SFL.
    ETA It's finished - just got in in time.
  • bummed i missed that 4th of july offer.
  • I have a twitter question...

Regarding the AAJ dotd, do you think I should run daily updates on the dotd through the normal AAJ twitter account or would it be better to have a separate twitter account name?

My thinking is that my dotd announcements will get lost in daily deluge of other tweets about reviews, interviews, etc, and just get ignored. For those of you who use twitter regularly, is that a fair concern or if you are following someone, is it more typical to pay attention to anything that comes through on a tweet?
  • Use the regular account but use a #dotd or #aajdotd (or whatever appropriate) hashtag? As a dedicated twitterer I would prefer to follow the one account for everything, but I can set up a hashtag feed if I feel strongly about that.
  • Thank you. That hashtag thing is the right call.
  • Email from The Pains of Being Pure at Heart:
    We're about to go on a North American tour with Big Troubles and Twin Sister and to celebrate, we're holding a contest for our fans - especially the broke ones.

Follow @thepainsofbeing on Twitter and post the following to be entered to win a GUEST LIST SPOT +1 to the show.

"I want to see @thepainsofbeing perform in [name of city] on [date of show]! RT to enter to win 2 tix. http://bit.ly/nkMj6Y

Be sure to enter the name of the show you want to see where it says "[name of city]" and the correct date of the show. Three winners per show will be selected at sort-of-random, though if you do something extra awesome we may play favorites.

Here's a full list of where we're going and when:

September 19 New York, NY - Bowery Ballroom
    September 23 Philadelphia, PA - Popped Festival
    September 24 Cleveland, OH - Beachland Ballroom
    September 25 Urbana, IL - Pygmalion Festival @ The HiDive
    September 26 Madison, WI - High Noon Saloon
    September 28 Winnipeg, Manitoba - Royal Albert
    September 30 Calgary, Canada - Dickens
    October 01 Edmonton, Canada - The Starlite Room
    October 03 Vancouver, Canada - The Biltmore Cabaret
    October 04 Seattle, WA - The Crocodile
    October 05 Portland, OR - The Wonder Ballroom
    October 07 San Francisco, CA - Slim's
    October 08 Los Angeles, CA - El Rey Theatre
    October 09 Costa Mesa, CA - Detroit Bar
    October 10 Solana Beach, CA - Belly Up
    October 11 Denver, CO - Bluebird Theater
    October 13 Lawrence, KS - The Bottleneck
    October 14 Oklahoma City, OK - University of Oklahoma
    October 15 Memphis, TN - Hi Tone Cafe
    October 16 Nashville, TN - Mercy Lounge
    October 18 Baltimore, MD - Ottobar
    October 19 Halifax, Canada - Halifax Pop Explosion

thepainsofbeingpureatheart.com/tour

Good luck!
    Kip, Peggy, Alex, Kurt + Christoph

No show here so I tweeted hoping maybe they'd hook me up next time they come through.

Craig
  • My dad did this to me.... but I liked it.

/Yeah, not strictly on topic, but I got the kink from twitter.....
  • I got the kink from twitter.....

Waaay too much information Plong.

Craig
  • Dang.....typo issues. On the other hand...?
  • @Plong42.... so we're walking over to another family's house tonight for dinner and my 12 year old has his mp3 player with him an listening to tunes. I touch him on the shoulder to bring him out of his special place and ask him what he's listening to. He says "The 'Merry Go-Round' song". I think for a couple seconds and ask him, "You mean the song by The Replacements?" and he said, "Yeah.. remember when you ripped their 'All For Nothing, Nothing For All' CD for me a long time ago? " I didn't. He said he only copied a couple songs onto his MP3 player... that one, the Alex Chilton song and a couple others.

We're back at the house and he's listening to the whole disc right now.

I hope I've done/am doing the right thing.

I still can't really get over the fact that he's independently (more or less) listening to the 'mats and digging them.
  • I was thrilled when my 13 year old daughter asked for a few Beatles CDs to put on her iPod. I can only hope and pray she had to bump some Taylor Swift to make room. I did watch Yellow Submarine and Help with her when she was quite young. Yellow Submarine was a big favorite when she was 6 or 7.
  • I achieved a minor triumph this week - Lumiere by Dustin O'Halloran is on two of my three kids' iPods. My wife likes it too. A whole family hit is relatively rare.
  • My four year old can't get enough Hank Williams lately. On the other hand he's watching Strawberry Shortcake.
  • I took my youngest to the Record Shop for the first time today. She thought it smelled bad, and managed to find the one Keith Moon sticker a wall of thousands of things with a naked butt on it. Other than that, it went well. They were playing the Zombies, so that is a step in the right direction.
  • Would somebody(s) have a Whispered conversation with me about Twitter? I don't care who it is on this board, but I have a couple questions that, due to their bluntness, I would prefer to only have visible to people I trust (you, emusers).

And, seriously, it's nothing awkward or anything like that. If you participate, you'll understand.
  • I can do my best jonah.

Craig
  • Okay, I think I'm good for the time being. If things don't change, maybe I'll come back for an additional opinion.

Thanks everyone.
  • i didn't even know you could have "whispered conversations" on twitter.
  • $2 Amazon mp3 credit if you go through some Twitter gyrations: http://t.co/2hMH3rBe
  • Sweet. Thanks Doofy. I prefer Twitter hoops to Facebook ones because anyone who is following me on Twitter is a little weird in the first place.

Craig
  • ...And one for @eMusic too! I was just wondering if/hoping they were going to do a Halloween promo.
    Members:Today only Tweet your fav. #Halloween album to @eMusic and we'll credit your account $8.99 Credit valid 10/31-11/15 #eMusicHalloween

PS, not sure, but I think the Amazon one may have resulted in some ads showing up in my Twitter stream. Will be revoking shortly, if that proves to be the case.
  • Here's the other thing, is if you're on Twitter, you can follow @RobynHitchcock. His 3 latest tweets:
    Herr Spengler is travelling on business. He has always been a realist.
    Father, I have spilt the butter!
    The ambassador is arriving in Geneva on Friday while the king stays in Oslo.
  • Use that AMZ credit today, btw.