Drip.fm

Comments

• Huh. I didn't think it was that awful.
  • edited June 2012
    Yeah, it probably wasn't. The reviewer was probably just very anxious to use that little trick.
  • Reading that review felt like...
    invisiblefacestabknife.jpg
  • TMT can be fun to read, but they often seem more concerned with the image of their reviews than anything. They remind me more of McSweeney's than a music blog.

Personally I love the new Hot Chip. But I love well made dance-flavored pop music. Or pop-flavored dance music depending on how you look at it.
  • They're getting a bit Pitchforkish at the snark level. I believe an early Pitchfork review decided the best way to review a particular album was by a short dramatic dialogue.
  • I just got the SoulCal book and cd in the mail! Unexpected coolness!
  • @am - lucky you. That looks sweet.

So Domino has the new Dirty Projectors and now a rarities album from John Maus next month and Ghostly has new releases from Com Truise and Matthew Dear! Plus I get to upgrade my copy of Choir of Young Believers' debut to lossless. And the Morr releases look very cool, too. Plus I finally got around to sorting out the Now Again haul - lots of fun.
  • SEVEN releases downloaded on the Morr channel in the first month! Not at all bad for $10, even with a couple of EPs included.
  • @GP: It's a great start and considering how unfamiliar I am with this label, it's been a great introduction to their music.
  • Agreed, nice variety in the releases, and a good mix of "important" releases and more in-between-ish EPs and remixes. Great package so far.
  • New label on board - [https://drip.fm/dead-oceans]Dead Oceans[/url]. Akron/Family, The Tallest Man..., Bear in Heaven (I'd probably join up for that album).

Domino has been great (they're even offering Hot Chip to people who joined after the release), but Ghostly and Morr have made it and incredible service. I love getting EPs and Singles again, which is something lacking in my collection in my post-eMu and Amie life.
  • 940 x 300? I'm there!

I already own the majority of the Soundway catalog...will be following with interest.
  • I want Sacred Bones to show up there. That would rule.

Say, what is the Ghostly cost? Was it $15?

Craig
  • If you click on the sample releases the real logo appears. I'm hoping it means they are working on it.

Yeah, Ghostly is 15. And since they just sent me a free LP out of the blue, definitely still worth it! :-)
  • I'm not saying, I'm just saying...

Please please please please PUH-UH-LEASE.
  • 940x300? I saw them way back in the day when they were playing tiny crappy bars that didn't even have a stage, just some space beside the dance floor that was inhabited by a DJ the other 5 nights a week. And they weren't terribly good back then but there was something there, an honesty and sincerity that just blew me away, like they were singing about me and my life. I knew even then they were going places. There used to be video of one of those shows, shot on 1/2" Sony Portapak. It must have turned to dust in some basement or landfill by now.
  • I'm a little disappointed in Now Again. Seems like their philosophy is feast or famine with last month being huge and this month being one album. At $10 I'd be willing to risk it, but for $15 I'm not sure how long I'll hold out.
  • Oh snap...

Probably going to drop Now Again before my renewal in a week, maybe I'll try a month of them and Stones Throw (who have a deluxe edition of Koushik's Out My WIndow up right now).
  • $10 for Luaka Bop. Not bad. Plus after being a member for 6 months they send you a t-shirt..."in your size"!

Craig
  • Luaka Bop is sending August members a keychain of the label's logo. I just signed up last night and they just had one album, but when I queried the label, they added the second album. Otherwise it's a month until another album drops.
  • Just cancelled Now Again. Definitely keeping the other 3 for the foreseeable future. I asked them about renewal dates because they don't really list them and I wasn't sure if it was a new month for them yet or not. Then I checked my CC account and saw that I was billed on the 8th last month for all of them even though I signed up for 2 of them a little later. Hopefully this isn't a problem.

Weird, never actually hit the add comment button last night. Anyway, just checked and I got billed for the other 3, so it's all cool for now.
  • Pained me to do it, but I canceled Now Again. I really love that label, but if they're only putting out one release per month, $15 is just too much. I'd rather put that towards physical media.
  • You know the unintended structure of the service is label jumping. I imagine each label expects people to stay on for several months, which I haven't done. Morr Music stole the show for me though in terms of quality and number of fun releases. Now I can just do the wait-and-see what is available for the two or three downloads when you sign up and then sign up when the fancy strikes.

Great service. Supremely great deal. And absolutely tickled to get the Dirty Projector's latest on one label, only to switch label and get Rise Above. Hole in my collection of a bad I love, now filled.
  • I agree about Morr, it has been amazing value and is keeping me along for the ride at the moment.
  • Domino has been solid - exactly what I would want out of a "major" indie with at least 2 albums a month plus various singles and remixes. Since the 2 main albums were discounted on Amazon I probably could have saved a little money by just getting them that way, but I like the bonus material.

Morr Music has been great - got them for mum, but they've introduced me to a lot of cool bands (Masha Qrella, b.fleishmann, Pascal Pinon, etc.). And the comps are very cool - the next release this week is a selection from the label founder specifically for drip.fm. Plus I scored a sweet tote from them.

Ghostly has been awesome - not sure if anyone else has signed up for them, but I had a few additional items beyond the initial 3 unlocked shortly after I signed up. That's gotten me into someone like Mux Mool who I really had never checked out before. The welcome e-mail was very friendly as the rep realized that I lived near to where she grew up and when I mentioned that I missed out on another comp that looked really cool she unlocked it for me anyway. Then, out of the blue, they sent me an LP (Gold Panda - already own it on mp3 but, come one, free vinyl!). I won another back catalog album and have happily been able to upgrade another purchase. All of this while slowly getting pieces of the new Matthew Dear album!

They just need to tweak some things on their interface (I contacted them about making sure renewal dates and what not were shown) and maybe add flac (it would cut out my need to convert the wav files and then tag them).
  • And now it looks like Morr may put a whole movie up there, too!
  • I really liked Morr's offerings to date. I think I will cancel Luaka Bop before my next billing date. It seems like a slow label compared to other's on Drip in terms of material per month so far.
  • I went to the drip.fm front page today and it said I couldn't join because closed beta but then I followed the direct label links you guys put here and it let me sign up. I went for Now Again which is a no brainer since I wanted all four of those albums I got on sign up.

Is there a list of labels on there anywhere? I can't find any master list on the site and googling turns up dribs and drabs.