Drip.fm

Comments

• There's a list on the home page: https://drip.fm/, but if that's not working for you, the labels are:

Luaka Bop
    Dead Oceans
    Domino
    Morr Music
    Now Again
    Fool's Gold
    Stones Throw
    Mad Decent
    Ghostly International
    Dirty Bird
    planet e
  • Yes, good point. ;-D
  • I had the same confusion as well NankerP. I wonder when the launch date is, not that it matters much for us.
  • @choiceweb0pen0 - Is there a date for the next Luaka Bop release? I'm very hesitant if there's only going to be 2 for now.
  • @Thom: September 1st is date for the next release, followed by Oct 1st. I don't think I'm going to renew once my first month is up.
  • Not drip.fm, but looks fun: Sound Supply has 10 albums for 15 bucks, for a limited time: http://www.soundsupp.ly/ I've only heard of one or two of these bands...the Indie cognoscenti amongst us may have a better idea of whether this is worthwhile.
  • I'm kind of curious about the trajectory that these new sites seem to imply. Maybe it's not a trend, just another channel alongside the regular stuff, but selling albums in massive bundles (I see lower down the page they also have 60 albums for $75!) is interesting as a strategy. I wonder if it's a good or bad thing in the long haul, selling albums in big anonymous piles - I can see it helping some obscure things get found by some people or just making none of it seem very valuable.
  • That bundle of music reminds of software bundles through websites like supremo (Mac Update Promo). Often a few useful programs are bundled with less useful programs for say $50, available for a few weeks. Some of the artists in the bundle are familiar like Mason Jennings and Vivian Girls.
  • edited August 2012
    Ok so I <3 Domino! I joined today because the new Animal Collective is coming out soon, and I wanted to get Dan Deacon; then they just sent me an email that they "unlocked" Dirty Projectors for me too!
  • edited August 2012
    Fun moment - signing in to Drip.fm and seeing "Your next release delivered in...5 seconds".
  • One of my Jazz Picks this week was on Morr... that Andre Vida comp. Good stuff.
  • I've been investigating Drip.fm to see if I can jon in the UK - at the moment I see no reason why I cannot. The only problem is that I have to pay in dollars, so have to pay a fee on my credit card each month on top of the dollars, which will probably add £2.50 to the £6.30 each month for Domino. But that still seems a good bargain for two downloads. Has anyone here tried to use Drip.fm outside of USA yet?
  • I was very tempted by Jagjaguwar, but $15 is more than I'll spend for them at this time. However Luaka Bop finally added some more release and now I'm tempted to join for a month.

They've also finally added an Explore page that's linked from the drop down list at the top so that you can find new labels that are being added.

Can't believe how much was dropped while I was away on vacation. Morr is really digging into their back catalog which is totally awesome!
  • And another label I like joins the fold: Six Degrees

But they're starting off with just 2 releases just like Luaka Bop. I did them for their 2nd month and will get 4 albums out of it. so that's a good start. We'll see if Six Degrees adds another. $10/month.
  • That Cheb album is excellent, and Six Degrees has three full albums available now.
  • Excited to see Polyvinyl has joined the hoopla.
  • Interesting. I got an email from them today with a survey. Take the survey and they send you a download of the Polyvinyl album of your choice. Clearly they are exploring more options.

Craig
  • I have to admit, I'm surprised at how many labels are jumping on this. I hope the financials are good for them, because I really love the service.

I already have Celebration Rock - an excellent album - or else I'd probably jump on Polyvinyl, too. We'll see next month. Six Degrees is still up for debate - anyone join that one and see a release schedule yet?
  • Just cancelled the Morr drip. I hung around longer than I had expected, found some new stuff I enjoyed, got great value in quantity terms - but only one of the next 4 albums is one that I might want; decided at this point I'd rather pay a bit more for specific titles I actually want.
  • For any interested, the next round of Sound Supply (10 albums for $15) is available for the next seven days.
  • Kill Rock Stars is now onboard. $9.99 and the first batch includes Elliot Smith's Either/Or.
  • So I'm really dying to hear the new Thao, and am wondering if it's included with the Domino drip.fm for this month, and if so, how that works, exactly-- anyone here subscribed to Domino??

Thanks!
  • @matthew - I feel like I've been listening to a lot of Thao lately, and I didn't even realize that the new album comes out this week/already out/I can't figure it out. It's not listed in the coming soon, but that doesn't mean it isn't. Sometimes things don't appear until they drop.

I e-mailed one of the guys at Domino and will let you know when he gets back to me. It's kind of funny considering they just got KRS on Drip and she switched to a Domino sub-label.
  • @thom - Thanks for the "head's up" about Kill Rock Stars. I'm in for that!
  • Thanks @thom. Am super curious what you find out!
  • @matthew - The guy at Domino wasn't sure. Told me to bug him if it didn't show up. I'll e-mail him again later this week.

Also, Ninja freakin' Tune (and Big Dada). First month includes a 42-track "sampler" and a mug. Thinking of adding them and KRS in a couple days when my next billing date comes up.
  • Dammit. Just Dammit, Drip.fm. <hands over wallet />
  • So I chatted (via e-mail) with a guy at Domino. Long story short, they are only dripping releases that they have worldwide distribution for because of the headaches associated. Considering drip.fm is still a fairly new platform, my guess is that it's really hard for them to limit releases to just specific regions. Maybe that'll change in the future. As a result, something like the new Ulrich Schnauss won't appear because they only have it in North America.

As for Ribbon Music, they are part of the Domino family, but it looks like they pick and choose which releases they drip. Currently they are letting members vote on an upcoming release and the new Thao is up there as an option.

@matthew - If you're interested in the releases currently up there (Ducktails is very cool) I'd recommend signing up. The labels have been very cool with responding to inquiries in general and a few of them have even unlocked content for me that I missed or that they couldn't drip when I asked nicely.
  • @thom wow, thanks for this research!

My thought was I've been curious about drip.fm, and it looks like I'll be spending 9.99 on the Thao album at any e-tailer right now, so it would be a good chance to check them out for the same price as the album...

On the other hand, I like Domino but one of my resolutions this year is that more music does not automatically equal better, and I've got such a big backlog of listening (like we all do) that three albums from bands I don't know plus the *possibility* of the album I want is less alluring... but this gives me something to think about! Thanks again for asking!!