Drip.fm

Comments

• Thinking about joining Fania? Check out the merch when you sign up:
    Hello Faniaticos, we are so happy with all the love you have shown us that we decided to make this club even better! We have just announced in our description that new subscribers will receive a 4 CD Box Set on top of the Free Fania poster (you will receive them separately in two shippings), and don't worry if you signed up before the announcement you will receive one too.

And hey - if you are going to join Fania, maybe drop me a line first so I can get a referral CD?
    But we couldn't stop there, we've also added a bonus CD pack for those of you who referr a friend and they sign up for the subscription. All you have to do is give them the link to the club and send us a list of names and emails of people you have referred to msanchez@codigomusic.com
  • Fat Cat Records joins in. I've always thought they've had an excellent ear for different sounds. Haven't listened yet, but it includes Mice Parades coming out in November along with a sampler and three other downloads, all LP in length.
  • Update on Fania: got my poster on Saturday and yesterday I got my 4 CD Box Set - thought it would be one of their multi-artist comps, but it was the first 4 volumes of Tito Puente on 78! That's 4 double-CD sets. Incredible stuff - I know, as I already own the first two volumes (what'll I do with the 2 duplicates...?). Membership has been great there. The Ubiquity membership has been really good, too - their bonus stuff has been great, and they also sent me a poster.
  • @bremble - I may join Fania this month, if I do I'll mention you.
  • I'm kind of thinking about suggesting to Portland Jazz Composers Ensemble label to sign up for Drip.

I still don't know too much about the service, but I've read enough here and a bit on the site to glean that PJCE might be a good fit. They're releasing stuff just about every month, and they have a back catalog of live performances they could probably use to sweeten the deal. Don't know if I want to stick my beak into that whole retail subject though.

By the way, PJCE reps jazz from the Portland, Oregon scene, and has made my Jazz Picks list a couple times already. The ensemble Operation Northwoods will likely make my Best of 2013 list. Andrew Oliver, of Tunnel Six, performs on a bunch of the label's albums. Thomas Barber, whose album Snow Road received some attention here (and who may have been the first musician to reference eMusers on an artist site), is on an upcoming release that is pretty damn nifty, too.
  • Anybody on Captured Tracks? Is the new Clean reissue scheduled to drip? I might join for that.
  • I would love to see some jazz labels join up, Origin pops to mind. Can't stand contemporary and I do have a short leash for free jazz, but anything and everything else would be welcomed. I hope Fania keeps their offer going - I'm at my Drip limit right now with four going. Soon three will conclude my preference of two-month runs.
  • @Sort - I remember when 4 was my limit, too...

Is anyone else having a problem with the full album download buttons? I can only get individual tracks right now.
  • From Mom & Pop:

Ok, so - quiet for a few days there, weren't we? Well - we've been busy. FIxing things. Making things better, for you. Today starts what one might call an onslaught for all of you. A whole new batch of fresh releases coming every week. From newer label mates, and from some that you know all too well (AND HOLY CRAP I WISH I COULD TELL YOU WHO).

Oh yeah - and - VINYL! FINALLY! Our manufacturer finally got their sh%$t together and you're gonna start getting a new piece of vinyl from us every month! we know it's taken forever. it won't happen again.

We're gonna do right by ya, don't you worry about that. Have a great week, and get ready to receive the bounties!

So apparently we're going to get vinyl every month? That's freakin' awesome.

Craig
  • Wow, that would be awesome. I decided to drop them again for this month and figured I would re-add them in September, but maybe I'll re-add them now if they really really really have their shit together.

Also, not sure if anyone else was having a download problem but it should be resolved - it looks like it was specific to Chrome and the fixed it this afternoon.
  • edited August 2013
    And now Tru Thoughts has come on board.
    9e9.gif

I feel like I'm making up for all the Ubiquity and Tru Thoughts releases I got for free/cheap on Amie Street!
  • edited August 2013
    I was just gonna come on this thread and mention the add of Tru Thoughts.

It's a pretty cool label. I interviewed one of their peeps, Jasmine De La Paz, for the Label Love Jazz free sampler on Bandcamp many months ago. Some good music to be had on that label.
  • Mom & Pop posts:

Craig
  • Wow, Mom + Pop just e-mailed me apologizing for all of the delays during the first couple months and said they will be sending me the single and a code for a free month since I had cancelled. Pretty cool.
  • Hunters, one of the newest members of the Mom+Pop rogues' gallery, have analbum coming out on October First (wanna guess when you get your paws on it?).

I really, really don't want to get my paws on Hunters' "analbum".

tumblr_mbr4t4lyU81qejps3o1_500.jpg

Craig
  • I'm going to have to Dr. Fünke about that one.

tobias.jpg
  • Heh !
    Silly me, I thought that this was a bumcover:
    images1.jpeg
  • Somewhat impulsively I renewed my Morr Drip and promptly remembered another annoyance at least with their drip, they don't distinguish between albums and Eps, so it's not always clear until downloading (or joining) what you're getting. They have a Harold Budd drop coming up, which in influence my rejoining. This might be a short rejoin at any rate.
  • Choice - when you explore a label before joining, if you click on the album, you can see how many songs and how long the album is. Some labels drop all the time, so it's more about the overall sound, but others, like Dead Ocean or Cantalope, only drop one or so albums a month, so you definitely want to check and see what it is you get beforehand.
  • Ah, thanks, Sort. That is helpful.
  • And two new Mum records dropped today on Morr: one "Mystery," an EP and "Soundwound" an album released early.
  • @choice - Morr is pretty cool like that. The Mum albums were actually dripped a month or so ago, but they will often unlock recent releases for people who just subscribed. I'm really excited about the Harold Budd album, too.
  • They really are. I stopped my drip with them last year more out of a financial/ burned out thing than anything they did.
  • edited October 2013
    Morr is a great deal. I stopped because I like about half their stuff - I kept alternating several electronic albums that I really liked with several icelandic-folk-pop-ish things that I really didn't care for, which some months made it much less of a deal. If they could set up paying half as much and only being allowed to choose half the drips I'd be in!
  • You know that's the rub with Drip. How many labels consistently release music I really dig? Many of the labels on here I either don't like some half of their releases, or it's niche music in my collection. I dig Fania, and while it's in my musical rotation, not a huge part. Same with Ubiquity. Some labels just don't drop much, so a consistent, month-to-month is also questionable.

Domino though. Domino's my consistent. I always feel like I'm at least getting a B+ album. Dirty Projectors, Four Tet, Hot Chip, Animal Collective even Wyatt's Cuckooland dropped yesterday. That's just my taste though.
  • It can get complex, can't it, the reasons for choosing one label over another. Morr stuff is typically not easy or cheap to come by via other online sites or even in a record store. Plus $10 seems like a deal, even if $15 for several albums is great, too.
  • For those of you who like Morr Music but might have dropped off, they've now added a bunch of other labels to their drip. It's now called M+6 and includes Shelter Press, Miasmah, Sonic Pieces, Immune, Root Strata + Altin Village & Mine along with Morr and their sub-labels. They dripped 7 releases in January and have at least 3 slated for February. I've barely had enough time to listen to them all as I was away on vacation.

Also, anyone on Domino see a schedule for upcoming releases? I finally dropped them in December because it had been a real dry spell, but it looks like they finally started up again.
  • Thanks for the heads up thom - have gone in for another month, aided in the decision by Otto Totland being one of the immediate unlock albums (and Norwegian to boot)!
  • @GP - glad you got it!

I just have to gush about drip right now. Not only did Ninja Tune catch me off guard by dropping the latest Actress album, but today they gave us his first which I was totally unaware of. And that's on top of Domino dripping ALL 4 re-issues from Orange Juice. I'm still trying to catch up with last month!
  • They dripped Actress? Hmmm...may need to hop on Ninja Tune.

Mom & Pop is also dropping their price to $7.99 and giving current members a free month, but Domino is truly blowing it out of the water.

Craig