Drip.fm

Comments

• This could go anywhere on here, but I was coping/moving downloaded music from my laptop to desktop, which included a lot of Morr music from Drip.fm. I just realized I downloaded a copy of Nils Frahm's Screws. Not sure if I listened to it then, but heard about it on an NPR All Songs Considered podcast, checked it out on Spotify and loved it enough to consider buying it. So odd then to find I already had a copy of it! One of many reasons to not be with eMusic or Drip for now.
  • Just joined back to Domino. Quite a handsome join-back deal, landing what will be four albums and two eps within the first month. Still active in this regard, some quality releases as well. Haven't listened thoroughly to give real reviews, but the Steve Mason album is superb. I also got Dead Oceans for a month. After Mtraks went down, Guvera has slowed down (hopefully not too much more slowing), this was a great find for my monthly budgetary allotment of music.
  • Mom & Pop with special goodies for the first 300.

Craig
  • edited April 2013
    I decided to give Mom & Pop a go. Worth it for the goodie bag. I think I'm dropping Morr after the Dump drip (hehe) unless I see some more new ones posted there that I want. It's been great, but I need to cut back somewhere...

ETA: As of this morning they still haven't hit 300 if anyone is interested.
  • edited April 2013
    They actually just posted that they aren't to 300 yet, but are almost there, so if anyone else wants the goodie bag, get on it!

ETA: Darn you and your edits, thom!

Craig
  • Hehe. Guess that means you're on board, too.
  • Oh, yeah. I signed up yesterday. Dropped Ghostly for now.

Craig
  • Secretly Canadian just joined. Although I'm way over my limit right now. I was certain I would drop Morr this month, and then they added a couple cool releases. We'll see how long I stick with Mom + Pop. But I think it would have to be someone like Matador for me to add another label at this point.
  • I'm a fan of Secretly Canadian, but not as much as Domino and Mom & Pop, so I'll wait on SC for now.

Craig
  • Every time I see a new comment here I rush to read it thinking maybe it's Merge...
  • Merge is another one that would push me even further over my limit.
  • And yet another new label drops - Cantaloupe Music. Never heard of it, but it's from the creators of Bang on a Can. Not only is a Classics album from BOAC there, but also an album of Aphex Twin covers. Very curious indeed.
  • edited April 2013
    Thank you Thom . . .
    I'm not sure what this means:
    every delicious new Cantaloupe release straight to your inbox, and a steady stream of 12 years' worth of genre-destroying post-classical harvests from the creators of Bang on a Can.
    The Cantaloupe catalogue is about 80 albums and the Drip introduction offers 3 albums.
    It is not clear to me if there is more coming within the first month, or if I can expect to have to subschribe for a couple of years to get through the whole catalogue.

- I have already about half of the catalogue including "Shelter" and the Aphex Twin cover but getting it in Flac is tempting.

BTW: The Alarm Will Sound performs Aphex Twin album includes some of the Twins finest compositions such as:
    Logon Rock Witch and Cliffs - A brilliant live performance, maybe even better than the album version.
    Youtube links and both tracks are from the Selected Ambient Works albums - as far as I remember.
    - A much recommended album.
  • I'll have to check them out.

Different labels handle things differently on drip. Most of them guarantee at least 2 albums a month. If they don't have anything new coming out they'll drip something from their catalog. Domino and Morr have done votes in the past while Ninja Tune is asking for suggestions. Some of them also bring in exclusive/non-catalog material or things put out by sister labels that they collaborated on. I wouldn't expect to get their entire catalog very quickly from the service, but if there's enough upcoming releases you'd pick up it might work out cost/quality wise. Checking their webpage I see a new album coming from David Lang that includes people like Owen Pallett and members of The National and My Brightest Diamond at the end of the month. My guess would be that will be there, too.

It's interesting enough that I might just do a month... dammit.
  • Going on record that my prediction for the big Mom & Pop announcement today is that they'll be dripping the new Polica track that features Justin Vernon. Not worth the hype they're giving the announcement.

Craig
  • The Current (Twin Cities MPR new music station) debuted the track on "The Local Show" last night. As soon as I heard they were doing that, it was pretty obvious what the announcement would be.

As a Polica fan, I'm not complaining. (Although, what I heard of the track last night, which wasn't a focused listen, it wasn't as good as the first album.)

Craig
  • Sweet. I just noticed that Domino has scheduled the remaster of Orange Juice's debut album (plus b sides) to drip on Saturday for Record Store Day.

Craig
  • Have to do a little shout-out for Kill Rock Stars. Joined them a few weeks back, enjoying the music, but also in the mail today received a poster, Horse Feather's Cynic's New Year CD, Eliott Smith's Roman Candle, their sampler, and Corin Tucker Band's Kill My Blues. CD! I haven't gotten a new CD in ages. Lovely present. I have no idea if they do this for all or just got lucky.
  • @Sort... my KRS package contained
    3 CDs:
    - 20 years of KRS - 1991 - 2011 (cardboard sleeve)
    - Eliott Smith - Roman Candle (jewel case, no front insert)
    - Milagres - Glowing Mouth (jewel case, no front insert)

1 sticker - The Decemberists present Picaresque
    1 KRS temporary tattoo
    1 beverage koozie - black w/pink design; KRS logo on bottom, Marnie Stern logo thing on side
    1 personalized "membership" card thing ("...dedicated to legally downloading the latest KRS releases")

I'm happy and only wished they would've provided the front inserts for the two jewel case-based CDs they sent.
  • Luddite - my five year old opened the package and spread the goodies around our house, meaning I didn't see the tattoos and stickers and the other posters until this morning. Good stuff. Weird that they didn't include the front inserts in mine either - perhaps that's why they're in the giveaway pile. My one year old was wearing the "koozie".
  • Darn, I was going to join KRS, too. Can't wait for my Mom + Pop goodie bag to arrive!
  • edited April 2013
    Maybe the missing booklet is to signal that they weren't bought from normal means? I received a free CD when I renewed with Under the Radar Magazine and they punch a hole through the UPC code.

Good to know one year olds can wear coozies! Will save a lot of money on clothes when I have a kid, especially when I think about how many of those I own by rarely use.
  • edited April 2013
    Tambourhinoceros

Never heard of it, but apparently the label was started by the Oh No Onos. Includes "Iceage, Treefight For Sunlight, CTM, The New Spring, 4 Guys From The Future and many more". 3 releases up.
  • For a symbolic fee of 10$ per month you'll get:

What's the fee a symbol for?

Craig
  • If Oh No Ono is involved, I'd say it's probably a symbol of your willingness to accept a highly nasal male falsetto as a substitute for proper female vocals.
  • Ubiquitunes

This one includes 3 labels - Ubiquity, Luv n' Haight, and Cubop. A lot of crossover from hip-hop to jazz to funk. I know I have a bunch of Ubiquity releases from the Amie St days (and eMu) including bands like The Bamboos, Quantic, Shawn Lee, Nostaligia 77 and NOMO. They also do a lot of reissues.
  • I've membered and unmembered myself through various labels on the site, and for the record, if you dig the music of course, I have to say Domino and Kill Rock Stars consistently release stuff that makes the sustained monthly membership worth it. I don't like enough of their releases, but Ghostly is well worth it as well. I love my Dead Oceans albums, but I use them for a month at a time, here and there.

This is my only emusic fix nowadays.
  • edited June 2013
    Anyone else having trouble logging into drip today?

ETA: Fixed already, with a response to my tweet.
  • Works ok for me.