Drip.fm

Comments

• Jumped on here to mention that I noticed in a recent promo email that I received from Ubiquity that they were on Dripfm, but it already got mentioned.

Some good stuff to be had on Morr. I don't know what they actually dispense, but Tied & Ticked Trio is pretty amazing. They work with drummer Billy Hart was fantastic. Review you know where...

http://www.birdistheworm.com/recapping-the-best-of-2011-tied-tickled-trio-la-place-demon/

Also, FS Blumm is pretty good, works with different cool artists and also has some decent mellow stuff under his own name. I picked up "Lichten" back in the Amie St. days and still listen to it occasionally.
  • I did two or three months on Morr, and got several really good things. Towards the end though I was getting a series of folk pop releases that I didn't care for that much. It's a varied label.
  • Om Records was added for all you House heads.
  • I was trying to figure out if Om had been on there awhile or not - that Kaskade re-issue looks intriguing...

Got my Mom + Pop package in the mail yesterday. Good timing since I canceled the membership over the weekend. I liked everything I got on there (and the next release sounded good), but they were a little too flaky and I wasn't sure how much they could be relied on for regular updates. Could be a re-join later.

I went back to Morr already (after a month off) because they had some awesome releases up again. And I definitely recommend the Ubiquitunes subscription if it's your thing - a lot of great material already dripped there.
  • I just keep adding labels on without dropping them, maybe at some point I'll review but it seems like everyday is a drip from one of them. Oh, and Om is fantastic, back dripped 2 albums after signup so pretty big bang for the buck right out of the gate.
  • I've been trying to limit myself. I've got my core 3 that I'll probably never drop (Domino, Ghostly & Ninja Tune), beyond that I'm simply trying not to let it get too high. Right now (thanks to your comment about Om) I'm up to 6 labels! And I kind of want to re-add Cantaloupe, too. Of course this is still cheaper than buying 10 albums a month on Amazon (with their current prices) and I get better quality.

Oh, and I ended up only missing 1 release on my month without Morr and they unlocked it for me today anyway.
  • I'm still on Mom & Pop, but don't know how long that will continue. They really don't know what they're doing.

Craig
  • lol. What does that mean Craig? Did Mom and Pop just not drip much or?

This thread makes me want to pick up at least one of these labels for a month or two!
  • They aren't dripping much, what they have dripped is largely duplicative of other drips, they aren't communicating well, and they just generally didn't have a plan going into it. There are two reasons I haven't dropped already: 1) a hope that they'll get it figured out; and 2) the new Polica in a couple months.

If you join up, join Domino. They have been phenomenal.

Craig
  • Second the Domino rec.; they really go all out with unlocking stuff for you, so you end up with a lot, plus it's one of the cheap ones.
  • Anyone currently on the morr drip? What releases do they have coming up?

I am tempted to re-up for a month to get the Amiina and Mum, but I don't like the Benni Hemm Hemm, so I would not quite break even yet with the "Releases you'll receive immediately upon signup" compared to just buying the ones I want, so the value proposition for me depends on which face of Morr dominates the next month's releases....
  • Available June 14, 2013 • 0 comments
    Wechsel Garland
    WECHSEL GARLAND

Available June 21, 2013 • 0 comments
    Morr 2004
    VARIOUS ARTISTS

Available June 28, 2013 • 0 comments
    Mister Pop
    THE CLEAN

The first one will drip in about 7 hours, so sign up now if you don't want to lose out on the mum single. Also, here's the tracklisting of the comp:

1 ISAN - One Man Abandon 04:10
    2 Lali Puna - Faking The Books 04:00
    3 Man'sbestfriend (Sole) - Victim Idol 02:32
    4 Duo 505 - Facing It (Duo 505 Version) 05:53
    5 The Go Find - City Dreamer 02:54
    6 Styrofoam - Between The Bars 04:13
    7 Man'sbestfriend (Sole) - The Devil´s A Travelling Man 03:15
    8 Lali Puna - Micronomic 03:24
    9 B.Fleischmann - 02_00 05:57
    10 ISAN - Meet Next Life 05:45
  • I had Mom and Pop, and unless you're a fan of hyperbole, wasn't a real treat for me. Two months and I had two quality albums, only one of which was a new release, and then a bunch of okay singles and such. That's fine really for the money, but Domino and GI and KRS are way better deals. Same with Morr.

Here's my ethical question for this site: does anyone else label jump for a month at a time, cherry picking the best offers, leaping off quickly? For example, I joined Six Degrees for one month, I had their three offers plus they unlocked three previous releases, all solid for that genre. Is it bad to then cancel after a month? I feel a sort of obligation to continue for a few months simply because they gave back catalog I wasn't expecting.
  • I don't see a problem bouncing on an off labels, it's just a financial transaction. As for myself, I stay on because the drips are usually very enticing and I'm a label-centric listener. I'm currently up to 9...I've got a problem. But, Drip is pretty much replacing eMusic and Amazon for my purchases.
  • Geez, elwood, 9 labels (does that include Ubiquity, because it really should)? I suddenly don't feel so bad about my 6...

Mom + Pop really did hype things up too much. I'm glad I did it for the vinyl and have been happy with all of the releases I got, but it really turned out to not be a great deal. I may very well jump back on in another month or so depending on the releases.

I don't think it's a big deal to go label hopping. I felt a little bad about dropping Cantaloupe so quickly, but part of that is them not having a complete schedule release. If I only see 1 release for the next month I may drop something. I generally find it a little too much work to drop and add things based on a schedule, so sticking with the ones I like works for me.
  • edited June 2013
    It was a close thing but I decided to go for another month of Morr. I was slightly but pleasantly surprised that when I re-started I still got the "you will immediately receive" albums for immediate download, so it's not like the emusic free credit thing that you can only get by starting a new account. Those albums and the Wechsel Garland are enough to make the month a deal for me.

I noticed now I am back behind the door of the Morr drip that they dripped the Nils Frahm/F. S. Blumm Music for Wobbling album back in April - I really wish I had known that at the time because I paid $11.85 for that album at emusic (admittedly because I had one of their promotional credits to spend) - more than the cost of the relevant month at Morr, for which I would have got other stuff too.

I'll still be dipping in and out though. Apart from one or two small labels like 12k that are not on Drip I tend to be too picky to want everything from a particular label. Even with Morr, which I often like, I really enjoy their fragile-quirky instrumental stuff but tend to dislike the indie-folk-pop releases, so depending what's coming out some months really aren't much value for me. I don't see a big problem with going a month or so at a time - they advertised up front what they wanted to give me for the money and that I could leave any time. Obviously they hope I will stick around; on the other hand I am well disposed toward them and hope they will release enough stuff that I love to make it good value for me to do so - deciding that is not the case is not the same as just coldly trying to squeeze them for whatever I can get.

ETA, another factor is that I think in every case so far the label ends up receiving more money from me than if I had not subscribed but bought the very occasional release from them at emusic, because many of the extra albums I would not have bought otherwise. Given that they are not shipping me any physical product this remains essentially a win for them even if they are also giving me what amount to free copies of other bits of their catalog. Case in point, this month at Morr. The release I really wanted is the Amiina, which I *might* have ended up paying $8 for at Amazon, of which Morr gets, what, $5? Then I see I would get the Mum too, of which I was considering buying one track for .79 at emusic. Equally likely is that both would have sat on my SFL until emusic dies. Had never heard of Wechsel Garland but it sounded fun and makes the deal attractive; I would likely never have bought it (and certainly would not have bought any of the other releases this month) otherwise. Result: Morr gets $10 from me instead of maybe $6, I get to play with a few things I would not have bought separately and still feel like I got value. No economic reason in there to feel bad about only buying one month.
  • @thom, Now-Again, Domino, Ninja Tune, Six Degrees, Cantaloupe, Ubiquity, Om, Morr, Polyvinyl are what I'm currently dripping. Morr is the only label that's "new" to me but after seeing a handful of Icelandic artists on there I was all OHAI! I LUVS ME ICELAND! PLS TO TAKE MONIES?
  • okay cool, thanks guys. I love many Domino artists, so may give that a shot soon.
  • For those of you on Cantaloupe and/or Mom + Pop, what's the upcoming schedule look like? I'd like to re-join them for another month but wanted to wait until after my next re-newal (probably July 9).
  • Mom & Pop dripped Smith Westerns yesterday, which was the only announced upcoming drip.

Craig
  • @thom, hard to say, they don't show upcoming drips on Cantaloupe but they just dripped Yunchen Lhamo & Anton Batagov's Tayatha which is sublime.
  • RVNG Intl

Kind of funny, because I just came across the new Blondes album (see "What are you listening to") the other day. Now I have to decided between 8 bucks on bandcamp or 10 bucks and get some other stuff with it...
  • thom - Mom & Pop just added the forthcoming s/t EP from a band called Lucius to drip on Tuesday. Don't know anything about them yet, but am about to go investigate.

Craig
  • Thanks for the update. Hopefully I can hold out a little bit longer...
  • First, another great addition: Captured Tracks.

Second, a weird one: Franz Ferdinand. I tried joining it for free but it's "invitation only". Looks like it's part of some special edition they did for the new album. Interesting tie-in.
  • Captured Tracks? That's verrrry tempting.

Craig
  • thom - Mom & Pop just sent out an update (that included a vinyl giveaway), that included this statement:
    On top of that, we're going to have a new release up for stream/download in the latter half of next week, as well as another new release for you every two weeks through august (at LEAST - including releases from Flume, Hunters, Twin Peaks, and lots more), along with the first two 7"s from Smith Westerns and Beat Club (with Neon Indian, and some that we're not allowed to say following soon after).

So, that's what's coming up there.

Craig
  • Cool, thanks. Looks like I'll be back on Cantaloupe and Mom + Pop for July at least.
  • And now Fania.

So I missed one album on Cantaloupe. I'll probably add them next week anyway and just pick up the album I missed separately.
  • From the Mom & Pop vinyl giveaway, I got this yesterday:

51S40syhnCL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Flume - s/t

Craig