What are you listening to right now? (16 Banners United)

Comments

• Pal Monte

I found this via Miguel Zenon's best-of list last year. It's on Egrem records, which I learn is the Cuban national record label, "Empresa De Grabaciones Y Ediciones Musicales" 
  • edited June 2018
    httpsf4bcbitscomimga0223987949_14jpg
    - For the few people lucky enough to have heard the entire album in the five decades since its release, the mythical Popera Cosmic LP is now considered to be France’s first dedicated psychedelic album and the shrouded blueprint for the hugely influential Gallic concept album phenomenon that followed – including Serge Gainsbourg’s Histoire De Melody Nelson and Gérard Manset’s La Mort D'Orion.

Spearheaded by François Wertheimer (songwriter for Vangelis, Barbara and BYG Records), composed with future Jodorowsky soundtracked and genius all-rounder Guy Skornik, and based on an embryonic concept co-conspired by a teenage Jean Michel-Jarre, this instantly deleted 1969 recording is a true essential for any outernationalradicalised record collection. With credentials that mark the birth of the cosmic funk (later disco) that helped shape the influential sound of France today, this LP also includes the first pressed instrumentals by members of Space Art, some of the best orch rock arrangements by William Sheller (Lux Aeterna, Eriotissimo) and orchestrator Paul Piot (Jean Rollin), as well as sitar psych benchmarks courtesy of uber legend Serge Franklin – all pinned down by the rhythm section that would later be known to prog aficionados as Alice.

Subtitled Les Esclaves (The Slaves), this street theatre/rock opera (influenced by the work of Julien Beck’s Living Theatre) now celebrates its 50th birth-day standing firmly as a sonic tome to the birth of the no-no era (that rebuked France’s yé-yé hamster wheel) leading directly to the thematic progressive network of Wakhévitch, Manset and Magma while comprising an inter-Gallic intergalactic super group from the early annals of France’s pop psych revolution. Imagine a rock opera where the cast of Mister Freedom perform Clash Of The Titans at the foot of The Holy Mountain – then pinch yourself…

releases September 7, 2018 on Finders Keepers

ETA: so very good !

• Thou - The House Primordial

Nyop on Bandcamp

• Live show aired on Resonance FM 104.4 and resonancefm.com
    Show about French shy singer-songwriter Gerard Manset and his 1970 concept album La Mort d'Orion.
  • Front cover of the album ACCELERATED PROJECTION

New release of a 2005 performance. Here they are in full flight:

• Image result for The Cars Candy-O

Aside from a memorable album cover, maybe "Let's Go" is the new listening thread:  "And she won't give up / 'Cause she's seventeen"

• Heatwave in London,

Bob Marley - Exodus

followed by

Babylon by Bus
  • @Plong42 Not to mention...!

In that order and for differing reasons, the Cars and the Cats were monster hits among me and my pals, back in those days of youthful edgy energy. (The Police were in there too somewhere, of course.) To this day, the Stray Cats in 1983 or so was one of the funnest rock shows I have ever attended.
  • @Doofy ... Seems to me Abba's Dancing Queen was only 17 as well.

I saw Brian Setzer when he opened for Dylan, 1998? 1999? Extremely entertaining show. Never saw the Cars live, but I did buy their first album on 8-track tape.
  • From my vinyl via GarageBand - filed with the Vs

1976   Peter And The Wolf
    Narrator: Viv Stanshall, Manfred Mann, Gary Brooker, Chris Spedding, Gary Moore, Stephane Grappelli, Eno, Keith Tippett, Jack Lancaster, Jon Hiseman, Bill Bradford, Cozy Powell, Phil Collins, Alvin Lee, Robin Lumley, Julie Tippet and the English Chorale
  • Still in our heatwave, so playing a Summer playlist - it just brought up Isley Brothers' Summer Breeze, now onto Beatles' I'll Follow the Sun
  • Sarah Vaughan - At Mister Kelly’s

Lil Yachty- Lil Boat
  • Disco Inferno- DI Go Pop

• As mentioned by @soulcoal - It's available at eMusic. I though @jonahpwll wrote about this somewhere, but can't find it
  • The Who - Live at Leeds
  • Dave Brubeck - Time Out
  • Victor Herrero - Musician from Spain. Brother of José Luis Herrero and married to Josephine Foster.

2009 - Anacoreta
  • edited June 2018

From album "The Faust Tapes." Originally released in 1973. Reissued on Superior Viaduct, 2018. www.superiorviaduct.com
  • Well, that Victor Herrero has put me in a guitar kinda mood, so it's a perfect time to thank @Brighternow for these...
    Sergio Sorrentino

2011 - Behind The Window nyop                            2018 - Dream
    (Electric Guitar Improvisations About The Rain)        American Music for Electric Guitar    
  • edited June 2018
    ^^ Welcome !

This week's Cuneiform "five" album:
    httpsf4bcbitscomimga3302139464_14jpg

HOW IT WORKS:

1) Click the link below which will take you to the above album on Bandcamp

2) Click "Buy Digital Album"

3) Type "10" into the Name your price field (The discount comes next! ;) )

4) Type the word "FIVE" into the Discount code field.

5) Click "apply"

6) Click "Check out now" or "Add to Cart".

https://cuneiformrecords.bandcamp.com/album/if-not-inertia-2

• Well, I'm sure glad I downloaded these from Emusic after @Brighternow provided a link to him in his post for Sergio Sorrentino, sadly they are no longer available through Emusic. Thanks again.
    Seth Josel

1998 - Long Distance: Music For Classic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Mandolin

2008 - The Stroke That Kills
    Amazon product description:
    Over the past twenty-plus years, Seth Josel has established himself as a leader in helping to shape the electric guitar's burgeoning future as a "classical" instrument. This album is a statement not only of his artistry as a performer, but also as a curator of new music for the guitar. The six pieces on this recording demonstrate a variety of means and approaches spanning the reified electric flamenco of David Dramm to the sound-art abstractions of Gustavo Matamoros.

From Other Minds Webstore
    Feldman's long lost piece for solo electric guitar has been reconstructed thanks to the triumvirate effort of guitarist Seth Josel, Feldman archivist Chris Villars, and Other Minds. Unknowingly stolen in 1967 along with Christian Wolff's guitar case, the piece has remained shrouded in mystery for decades. The score is reconstructed in two versions: one based on a single page sketch by Feldman titled "The Possibility" and another based on a recording of Wolff performing the work as part of a concert presented in 1966 at San Francisco's Tape Music Center formerly located at 321 Divisadero Street from the KPFA archives and in the possession of Other Minds. Following Feldman archivist Chris Vallars' discovery that the tape existed, he contacted Other Minds initiating what would become the reconstructed piece. The publication by Peters Edition includes both versions and essays by Villars and Josel.

The story of Feldman's The Possibility Of A New Work For Electric Guitar by Chris Villars
  • edited July 2018

- This unique work was created for the Big Project as part of the East Neuk Festival in Fife Scotland. I joined forces with pupils of Waid Academy in Anstruther to create a memorial in sound for men of the East Neuk fishing industry lost at sea. This new work draws on the stories of the men out at sea, field recordings and interviews to evoke the men and their lives.
    The work was premiered at Waid Academy on 28 June as a live performance but an alternative version is currently installed at the Scottish Fisheries Museum, but I also wanted to share this with a wider public so I hope you will enjoy it and download it to keep if you wish. No physical memorial to these men currently exists – something that retired local fisherman, Ronnie Hughes, is campaigning for. His mission to secure a monument in Pittenweem inspires this piece for which ENF has partnered the Scottish Fisheries Museum and Waid Academy. Listen and immerse yourself in the stories and sounds of the fishing industry.

• Scooped this one up today at my local(ish) music store...

Hidden behind the Coltrane recording are two Tzadik label recordings featuring Bill Frisell, Carol Emanuel and Kenny Wollesen.