What are you listening to right now? (16 Banners United)

Comments

• Now playing:

Image result for marco santillis cheroba il fiato delle alpi - la sta - cd

Marco Santilli CheRoba - "La Stüa"

• Image result for coltrane both directions at once the lost album

Mine came in the mail Saturday, maybe three times through it now.

• New re-release on MPS, which is still at eMusic. Link goes to MPS, which has a brief, interesting write-up

• That Shepp got LOTS of play in our house in the early 70s! Love it still!
  • Earlier today I played Blond on Blond and Nashville Skyline by Bob Dylan whilst on a car journey. Back home now playing

In the Heart of the Moon
  • I've got my copy! Feels different from his previous work, but still pretty "epic." On first spin, I'm hearing echoes of a broad swath of Black American Music over the past 4 decades (or more).

Heaven And Earth

Physical copies (not downloads, I think) have a bonus disc. An Amazon reviewer has the lowdown:

But you'll have to work for it! Carefully pull the bottom of the center panel up to reveal a pocket with "Choice", another full-length disc of original material. The glue is really sticky so it takes a bit of doing but it's definitely worth the effort. Hidden tracks are back!

• jonahpwll said:
    Scooped this one up today at my local(ish) music store...

Hidden behind the Coltrane recording are two Tzadik label recordings featuring Bill Frisell, Carol Emanuel and Kenny Wollesen.

Any *ahem* first impressions?
  • edited July 2018
    With thanks to @Germanprof, I really enjoyed the exploration &
    I've been looking forward to hearing these.

Antonio Jimenez MANJON (1866-1919) recorded: at the 'Vereenigde Doopsgezinde Kerk', Haarlem, NL, November 1998 - Emusic
    Amazon Review:
    Raphaëlla Smits, the Belgium grande dame of the guitar, has spent decades making memorable recordings, many of them for the Accent label. This recital, containing pieces by the blind, Argentinean by way of Spain Antonio Jiménez Manjón (1866-1919), appeared in 1999, and did admirable justice to a composer whose name - despite the high quality of his melodiousness music - has not figured frequently on recordings. The Vicente Arias (1833-1914) guitar of 1899 used for this recital came from the collection of Narciso Yepes in Madrid, Spain. A total of about two dozen Arias instruments are known to exist.

httpsd2htg16wag384pcloudfrontneteMusicrestcataloggetReleaseCoverreleaseId1291708width800
    The Eight-Stringed Bach - Emusic
    from her website
    The idea of performing Johann Sebastian Bach on the guitar is not as incongruous as would appear at first sight. There are many examples which show how Bach himself designed a single piece to be performed in different arrangements – because, after all, the music is more important than the instrument. A good transcription or a good arrangement will not question the instrument performing it. It is obvious that – starting with a flute, lute or violin score – I have used the complete range of my eight-stringed Kolya Panhuyzen guitar. The richness of an instrument must serve the music totally without modifying what should be at its heart.
    -Raphaëlla Smits

Ps Thanks again for the introduction, that was a terrific listen. I had to watch that video again to recall the parts that start my heart racing...Wow! Remarkable Indeed!

Includes a remarkable Chaconne:

• Hidden gems on Kamasi's album wondered what was in the middle
  • and back to V
    Voom:Voom

2006                                                                       2009
  •  
    Jari Pitkänen - A Thousand Colours Falling
    released April 30, 2018

• One last V
    Vox Populi! / Vox 231

-  Ébats Spirituels                                             -  Half Dead Ganja Music

-  Aither +
    from the most generous - nostalgia de la boue
  • almost
    Pacific 231 aka Pierre Jolivet (Vox 231Vox Populi!)

Scuffle        - nostalgia de la boue                    - Transenvironmental  - Emusic
  • Deja Vu - Crosby, Still, Nash and Young
  • Fat Les - Vinderloo

The English E Musers will get this.
  • edited July 2018
    Lowlife said:
    Fat Les - Vinderloo
    The English E Musers will get this.

• The White Birch

1998 - People Now Human Beings                      2002 - Star Is Just A Sun

2005 - Come Up For Air 
  • edited July 2018
    Lowlife and BN - yes I do get it! It was on the radio whilst driving grandchildren home from school - I had to explain Vindaloo to them!! (Lowlife will be pleased that my 5 year old grandson is following his nine year old sister in the team he supports. Sadly his seven year old sister is not interested in football) I'm looking forward to Saturday afternoon with some trepidation..... It would be a good afternoon to go shopping, I for one will not bother!
  • edited July 2018
    Heaven And Earth

Just bought this as a  CD, cheaper from my localish record store than an Amazon download. Definitely has three CDs, trying to work out how to get to the third without ruining the cardboard 
  • Ween

1990  God Ween Satan - The Oneness               1991     The Pod 

1992  Pure Guava                                                1994  Chocolate And Cheese
  • Heaven And Earth

Continuing from yesterday - liking it more than The Epic so far! More melodic in some tracks
  • @greg Well, did you get Disc 3 out? See my note from last week - If I had it do over again, I might have tried to cut through the glue using an X-Acto knife, but that's being prissy.

I've been through it a couple times now. Not sure I do like it as much as The Epic, but that one was almost a revelation. There are more electronics and even vocoder, which I always find a little distracting at first. I see that disc 3 is now being sold separately as a download.

Meanwhile:

Live in Europe
  • edited July 2018

• Ween

1996    12 Golden Country Greats                        1997     The Mollusk
  • Ween

1999 Paintin' The Town Brown Live '90-'98           2003 All Request Live 

2003  Quebec                                                         2005 Shinola Vol.1
  • Ween

2007 La Cucaracha                                                2007 The Friends E.P. 

2011 The Caesar Demos
  • @Doofy - yes I did get it out OK. I gently cut along the right hand side. I still need to listen to it a few more times to really understand, a bit like when I first played The Epic. Ideally I should listen to the whole album in one go, but I rarely seem to have three hours or so to do that!

Early morning here, sun shining already, another warm day and we've got a semi final to look forward to as well!
  • greg said:
    @Doofy - yes I did get it out OK. I gently cut along the right hand side. I still need to listen to it a few more times to really understand, a bit like when I first played The Epic. Ideally I should listen to the whole album in one go, but I rarely seem to have three hours or so to do that!

Early morning here, sun shining already, another warm day and we've got a semi final to look forward to as well!

Just cut into my copy via the tough perforations above Mr Washington on the gatefold. Made a bit of a dogs breakfast of it. Just ripping it as I type may even get to hear it later ;-)
  • Will Guthrie

Recorded live at Cafe OTO on 11 January 2013    2017 People Pleaser

2018 Will Guthrie x TSAATAN Bandcamp            2011 Thymolphthalein
         (a very interesting Label)                          (Will GuthrieAnthony PaterasClayton Thomas,
                                                                              Jérôme NoetingerNatasha Anderson)