What are you listening to right now? (17 Seconds of Cicadas)

Comments

• Jeff Buckley - Thanks to @peterfrederics, I'm finally getting around to him.

2002          Jeff Buckley & Gary Lucas                   2013      Dreams Of The Way We Were
                - Songs To No One 1991-1992                                   (no longer at Emusic)
  • Image result for qat coffee  qambus

Qat, Coffee & Qambus: Raw 45s from Yemen on the Dust-to-Digital label on eMu. Some good stuff left on eMu from that label.
  • Animal Collective - Danse Manatee

RP Boo - Crack Mix 308

I’ve been liking Chicago footwork a lot lately - sparked by finding some good albums on emu on Lit City Trax. Even at $6.49, even with almost nothing left, I still find it useful for discovering stuff.
  • Waxahatchee - Out in the Storm
  • Anthology of American Folk - vol. 2a
  • DJ Spencer D. (of Visible Cloaks) - Fairlights, Mallets and Bamboo vol. 2 from Root Blog

“As promised, further investigation into the futuristic spaces in Japanese ambient and pop music from the 1980s”

http://rootstrata.com/rootblog/?p=8231

See also:

Vol. 1: http://rootstrata.com/rootblog/?p=3706

Music Interiors: http://rootstrata.com/rootblog/?p=7819
  • edited October 2019
    Brighternow said yesterday:
    Just in:

"Nebulae" is largely inspired by the instrumental notated musics for saxophone quartets led by multi instrumentalist-composers Roscoe Mitchell ("Nonaah" for four alto saxophones) and Anthony Braxton ("Composition 37" for saxophone quartet). Commissioned by the Philadelphia-based PRISM Quartet, "Nebulae" is an exactly notated work written for the said group along featuring optional improvising percussion (drum set) or mallet percussion. This extended version of "Nebulae" is a live performance in which I am performing on extended range glockenspiel. There is a yet-to-be commercially released recording of this composition.

Commissioned by Opera Philadelphia, Carnegie Hall, and the Lyric Opera of Chicago, "Cycles of My Being" (2018) is a song cycle developed in collaboration with tenor Lawrence Brownlee (for whom the song cycle is written) and poet Terrance Hayes, both of whom contributed the texts. There are two versions of the work. The performers in this recording are Brownlee and pianist Myra Huang. The second version of "Cycles" is scored for tenor, clarinet, violin, cello, and piano.

Scored for string quartet, two vibraphones, glockenspiel, and piano, "Sentimental Shards" is an original work after Duke Ellington's "Sophisticated Lady" (1932) and John Adams' "Sentimentals" movement from his AMERICAN STANDARD (1973). This premiere performance of features members of the International Contemporary Ensemble, the wildUp ensemble, and myself (piano) at Walt Disney Hall, 8 April 2014
    One more posted an hour ago:

Similar to Butch Morris’ “Conduction” ™ and Anthony Braxton’s “Language Music” syntaxes for improvisers, my "Autoschediasms" is a conductor’s vocabulary that is used to generate live composition through cuing specific ensemble members (or a group of musicians) to produce a given sound or perform specific actions. Autoschediams is a duet for conductor and orchestra that can be viewed as both an evolution and a departure from both the Morris and Braxton vocabularies.

This system contains three distinct methods that can work simultaneously and interchangeably. The first of these three methods is Gesture: a series of cues that indicate specific actions for musicians to perform given with a preparatory cue, followed by the conductor’s downbeat. The gestures can involve the use of up to four batons simultaneously by the conductor, depending on the nature of a given cue from this series. The second of the three methods is Autonomy: a series of ten (10) numerical signals (given using only the right hand) that indicate specific actions for musicians to perform of their own accord and in their own manner. These cues may also be performed in combination with one another by the same performer, when indicated with both hands or on a small placard. The third, and most involved, of these methods is Category. Similar to Autonomy, this method includes indications for musicians to perform activities in their own manner. However, the cues in Category are all indicated by either one or two small whiteboards. Moreover, there are multiple parallel series (strata) that can coexist within this method. For example, players are sometimes asked to perform a number of actions that are relational to another musician or a group. Another example could be a situation where players are asked to perform or repeat a series of distinct musical events (these could range from assigned memories that recall earlier performed actions to instrument specific playing techniques, among many other possibilities) or one or more minimally notated events.

All three of these methods demand a considerable amount of time to learn and rehearse and are often juxtaposed into a unique whole, therefore creating a unique compositional model for orchestral and chamber music: one that incorporates painstakingly detailed formal processes and calls for both instrumental and virtual soloists to navigate highly prescribed performance parameters that may otherwise be ignored.

This is an excerpt of the fifth installment of my 2019 series of Autoschediams conducted by myself, featuring flute, English horn, bassoon, tenor saxophone, trombone, soprano (doubling on theremin), piano, viola, and two double basses. This work is spontaneously composed and therefore contains no score.

• edited October 2019
    Satellite planet in the -Pellis galaxy, Extrapellis is the third and last chapter of a trilogy started in 2014 with Solarispellis, and followed by Umbrapellis in 2015.

A document made of demos, live versions, edits and remixes, Extrapellis is an extension of the -Pellis domain, which turns around the original Sections, questions and plays with them.
  • edited October 2019
    From album of the year 2019  ;)

- To my big surprise only purchased by 7 Bandcamp users . . . 

ETA:

:) 
  • free download until monday only

mastering Marlon Wolterink / White Noise Studio
    composed & performed by Michel Banabila

Still available for DL. . . . 
  • The Jazz Epistles feat. Hugh Masekela and Dollar Brand

2014                           The Complete Recordings  (Emusic)
  • The Jazz Passengers

1994                       In Love
  • Jacky Terrasson & Cassandra Wilson

1997                      Rendezvous
  • Jackson Browne

2002               The Naked Ride Home                   2008                Time The Conqueror
  • Frank Turner - No Mans Land
  • Just in from @rolandkuit :

All 12 at once!
    In addition to this time-efficiency, it naturally also serves a specific purpose.
    I have been researching all kinds of chaotic systems and their applications in music for years. In this example you can hear that this chaos is actually an accumulation of beauty. What these 12 mathematically perfect compositions are. Everyone can decide whether this 'accumulation' is also of beauty or composition.
    Roland Kuit - KYMA
  • Thank you for sharing Bright man :)
  • ^^  :)   ^^

“Ping-Pong” (2004), a Concerto for Pipa and Chinese Orchestra, was commissioned by Min Xiao-Fen, and first performed by the Taipei Chinese Orchestra, Min Le-Kang, Director; Min Xiao-Fen, pipa soloist; at Zhong Cheng Auditorium, Taipei Zhong Shan Hall, Taipei, Taiwan, on December 11, 2004.
    1. “Huangshan Mountains”
    2. “Invitation”
    3. “Diplomacy”
    - De Ritis at Emusers

• Fripp & Eno - The Cotswold Gnomes

• Ernest Hood - "Night Games"
    Taken from Neighborhoods, available October 11, 2019.
  • From the "seriously weird" department:

Jaap Blonk, James Falzone, Owen Davis, Rob Wallace
    released September 13, 2019
  • Jeffrey Foucault

2001         Miles From The Lightning                     2004               Stripping Cane

2006                    Ghost Repeater                         2008  Shoot The Moon Right Between The Eyes
  • Ride- This is not a safe place

Shoegaze Heaven
  • Jay Bennett & Edward Burch

2002         The Palace At 4AM (Part 1)                    2003                 Palace 1919
This discussion has been closed.