What are you listening to right now? (Covid-19th Nervous Breakdown)

Comments

• Wild Colonials

1994                              Fruit Of Life
  • The Weepies

2006                     Say I Am You                            2008                      Hideaway
  • edited October 2020
    Junkshopguru, October 19, 2020
    In the late ‘50s Lew Raymond’s label decided to put a lady on the cover of every album he did in an attempt to woo men into a false sense of excitement. To come were ‘The Flirty ‘30s’ and ‘Big “Hits” Of The Fabulous ‘50s’ (check out the sleeves on Google), but ‘For Men Only’ from 1957 was his most provocative release with Jayne Mansfield on the cover and a lead off version of ‘What Lola Wants’. The whole shebang is a tame piece of MOR with raunch at a minimum, ‘Pepper Hot Baby’ being vaguely cool but little else.
  • Various - Blue Note Re : Imagined

Cream of UK jazzers covering classic Blue Note tunes, really good

• Discus Music, September 11, 2020
  • d̷̥͇̰͙͇̟̩̮̣̖̀̓͋̈́̚y̶̛͓̠͈͌̔ì̸̧̢̪̘̻̼̆͒̓͐͝n̸̹͚̻̭̯̞̺̞͓̬̉̐̂̑͆̓̓̚ĝ̶̦͍̝̻͖̎̀̍̉̃̆̅ & d̷͍̈́ḙ̴͈̑͆c̸͇̓è̷̯͔ă̶̤s̶͍̏e̷͇͆͜d̸̗̱͐͠

by एकтΣτοen¢i오n в

• Some albums and EPs from archives.org and Bandcamp. Thanks to @Germanprof for these...
    Widesky  (Seth Chrisman)

2011                   All Shimmers Here                      2011                     Celestial Bodies

2011                  Floating In Being                         2011  Seth Chrisman And Darren Harper               
                                                                                                   Forever Itself Becomes

2012                   Phase Portrait                           2013                      Flotsam
  • edited October 2020

I've been working through a big folder full of ambient compilation albums, which seem to multiply with abandon these days. I think this is the best I have listened to so far. Some nice variety. 6-hour set.

• I got nostalgic for Soul Note. I'm shuffling through a bunch of Mal Waldron.
  • djh said:
    jonahpwll said:

Mccoy Tyner  Hardboppers
    McCoy Tyner - "Song Of the New World"

Thanks for the reminder; my Tyner listening tends to peter out just around this period but I've nothing against the Milestone label output. Also unusually for me I really like the support given the pianist by the big band. I mean its a bit busy and dense but I'm enjoying it a lot - I can see that a few folk on the Japanese scene must have been paying attention.
    It's pretty easy to overlook Tyner's post-BlueNote, post-Impulse recordings, but there's some amazing music during that period.  I've really been revisiting all of Tyner's work lately (hell, "The Real McCoy" is getting played daily), but now I'm starting to move into his 70s work, and really happy about it.

• The Last Broadcast album - Wikipedia
    Doves - "The Last Broadcast"
    Oh joy!  I finally found this missing CD double-stacked in another CD case, and I can finally listen to this again.  Been looking for this thing for years!

• The Warlocks

2002                      Phoenix Album
  • Weidorje

1978                            Weidorje
  • edited October 2020
    WEEED

2014           WEEED @ Rolling Bay Hall   nyp            2018                     This
                                                                                Emusic

• Ambient/gentle electronica comp. Some light beats, but nothing too thuddy. Nice.
  • William Basinski

2002           The Disintegration Loops                  2003           The Disintegration Loops II

2004     William Basinski + Richard Chartier         2013    William Basinski + Richard Chartier
                                    Untitled                                                          Aurora Liminalis

2015   William Basinski & Richard Chartier
                              Divertissement
  • Force Inc. / Mille Plateaux, October 13, 2020
    Emusic
  • confused said:
    William Basinski

2002           The Disintegration Loops                  2003           The Disintegration Loops II

2004     William Basinski + Richard Chartier         2013    William Basinski + Richard Chartier
                                    Untitled                                                          Aurora Liminalis

2015   William Basinski & Richard Chartier
                              Divertissement

WB is this month's "Cover Star" in The Wire magazine. Interesting interview with snazzy clothes too!
  • edited October 2020
    ^^That is some pretty wild pool attire! I thought it was a snake at first glance.
    Weather Duo & Jaap Blonk

2012                  live at Audio for the Arts

Thanks, most enjoyable and nyp.
  • William Parker

1981 Through Acceptance Of The Mystery Peace  1996                    Testimony
    Emusic

2002           ... And William Danced 
  • Moon Safari - Blomljud
  • djh said:
    WB is this month's "Cover Star" in The Wire magazine. Interesting interview with snazzy clothes too!
    Yesterday, over the noise of a carpet cleaner in my office, I hear my wife scream, "Oh my God! It's Bill!" The mail had arrived with Basinski on the cover of The Wire. We both laughed because after a long time of presenting him as a "serious" composer in professional attire after this success with the Dis. Loops, here he is, pretty much the way we knew him during our days at school when we hung out, doing his best Iggy impersonations in those pictures. Also, we noticed that in the first picture of the article, there's a shortwave radio that is the exact one that I've used since the mid-70s.
  • William Parker

2010            I Plan To Stay A Believer:                  2013                  Live In Wroclove
                The Inside Songs Of Curtis Mayfield
    Emusic                                                                Emusic
  • edited October 2020

A very rare cult recording from 1958, and possibly the greatest worst album of all time. Beautifully remastered for the very first time, so now it sounds even worse. After a vague career on the silver screen, Leona Anderson hit the recording studio in 1958. She only went once. The results are legendary. In fact, no other album has reached such heights of brilliance and badness at the same time. The album is relentless, from "Indian Love Call" to "Carmen," the yodelling, crooning and aural torture just gets more incredible, more entertaining and more unforgettable as the album runs on. Add to the mix such classic and unique numbers as "Rats In My Room" and "Limburger Lover" (the greatest song about cheese ever written and performed), and we find that the album moves effortlessly from being just another incredibly strange album to simply the greatest, most consistently entertaining recording of all time. Anderson's vocal timing is sublime, the orchestra is strong, and the album brims with humor, darkness and more than a touch of utter madness. One listen to Music To Suffer By, and you will not suffer. Instead, you will laugh and revel in the fact that you will not be able to stop singing it or playing it for the rest of your life, whether you like it or not.

- A really strange chapter in music history . . .  
  • Well, firstly, it was a delight to spend the day with bass player-William Parker and it made me think of another great bass player. With the garden awaiting a new season, I find myself spending more time looking at the wall of vinyl. I'd forgotten that the Chess Box was actually the CD set in the box. It still has the notes for a vinyl set so it really feels like a vinyl listen, especially after having to edit all the artists and year recorded. I know the 1970 album is well played but still worth a scratchy listen (I'm getting pretty good at that GarageBand). Great lineup- Drums – Clifton James, Guitar – Johnny Shines, Harmonica – Shakey Jake, Piano – Sunnyland Slim, Vocals, Bass [String] – Willie Dixon

1951-1968          The Chess Box                         1970                  I Am The Blues

• Dobrinka TABAKOVA 
    String Paths

A new composer for me that I just chanced across in the old blogosphere. Interesting mix of the old and the new; sometime technically challenging to play (or so I'm told) but also tuneful and interesting on the ear.

• Willie Hutch

1976                              Concert In Blues
  • Almost beer o'clock but still time for more ECM goodness.
    Clarinet, piano and percussion / electronics. Quite mannered / polite, but what a beautiful sound everything just so.

This discussion has been closed.