What are you listening to (B)right(er)now? (22 Weight Lifting Lulus)

Comments

• With Russia's invasion of Ukraine and China's threats to Taiwan, I thought it would be good to listen to some of my favourite antiwar songs.

Top has to be that Edwin Starr classic "War"

then The Doors "The Unknown Soldier"

Bronksi Beat's "No More War"

and "Universal Soldier" by Donovan

• Known about this for a long time, but its a first listen for me.

• Richmond Fontaine – "We Used To Think The Freeway Sounded Like A River"
    On BC:  https://richmondfontaine.bandcamp.com/album/we-used-to-think-the-freeway-sounded-like-a-river

• With Russia's invasion of Ukraine and China's threats to Taiwan, I thought it would be good to listen to some of my favourite antiwar songs.

Thanks Peterfredericks - there were so many such songs around in the day. One of my favourites was Counry Joe's Feel like I'm fixin' to die. See The Twenty Best Vietnam Protest Songs article for more suggestions

• edited August 2022
    And thanks to you, Greg. That is a really good list and I agree about Country Joe.

Takes me back over 50 years to  the Arlo Guthrie film of "Alice's Restaurant". I felt so cool having seen it!

https://www.allmusic.com/album/alices-restaurant-mw0000192979

• Epic 45 - Through Broken Summer
  • edited August 2022

Day 62:

A celebration of "60 Second Radio." 

I did my own homage a few years ago with a 133 minute mix, "electrophonomural 2."

• "Spiritualized D" by Eternal Elysium

AMG says "Now here's a band whose name fits -- heavenly stoner doom metal......an amazingly punishing masterpiece of an album."

Eternal Elysium Albums songs discography biography and listening guide  - Rate Your Music
  • "Now We Have Light" the 2015 album by Sanguine Hum

Now We Have Light

• This weekends Cuneiform offering is an interesting piece of jazz / RIO with bits of improv and sampling. French obviously ( ;))

• edited August 2022

Day 64:

• DAY 66:

Coincidence (for me) that today's "stream" is about water
    considering we're dealing with flash flooding in our area.
    We've had over 10 inches (25cm) of rain this morning and
    it's still coming down in buckets.

• "The Syn-Ket is a truly exceptional instrument: developed in Italy at the same time that Robert Moog and Don Buchla set out to write instrument history, Paolo Ketoff created what is probably the first portable synthesizer.
    Born from the experience of making the huge Fonosynth and inspired by the works of Harald Bode, Ketoff worked closely with musicians and composers of the American Academy of Rome (John Eaton, Bill Smith) to create an electronic instrument that would allow live performances without tape playback.
    Shunning mass production, the Syn-Ket was only produced in nine custom pieces, starting in 1963, all tailored to the musician that ordered it. And those lucky few got a lot, despite the compact size: three voices with tube oscillators, two filters and an LFO, an octave filter bank and three output modulators (a mixture of LFO/Envelope/VCA). All is controlled by a very expressive three row pressure sensitive keyboard.
    It found widespread use in Italian movies of the times. Little wonder, as one Syn-Ket was famously owned by Ennio Morricone"
    - Riccardo Pietroni, Museo Del Synth Marchigiano, 2022 
  • edited August 2022

The Verve - Live London 1993
    Performing music from their debut "Storm in Heaven."
    I've never done a deep dive into my favorite bands on youtube, but, damn, I'm finding all kinds of great live performances uploaded.  Weird seeing Richard Ashcroft that young.  He had something of a Wes Anderson thing going there for awhile.
  • @jonahpwll thanks for the tip regarding The Verve.

Seeing and listening to the young Richard Ashcroft and Verve via your Youtube link led me to listen to that first 1973 album "A Storm In Heaven" for the first time. Wow! I'm not sure that I don't prefer it to "Urban Hymns"!

Verve  A Storm In Heaven  TNT Records
  • @jonahpwll thanks for the tip regarding The Verve.

Seeing and listening to the young Richard Ashcroft and Verve via your Youtube link led me to listen to that first 1973 album "A Storm In Heaven" for the first time. Wow! I'm not sure that I don't prefer it to "Urban Hymns"!

Verve  A Storm In Heaven  TNT Records

To my ears, ordering their music from best to least-best corresponds to a chronological ordering, too.  "Storm in Heaven" doesn't seem to get the acclaim it deserves, but it was one of the better drug-rock albums of the 90s.  I just revisited their sophomore release "Northern Soul" for the first time in a very long while.
    The Verve - A Northern Soul Artwork 2 of 3  Lastfm

• DAY 70:

•••

• New ep, short but very good
  • Was (Not Was)

Was (Not Was)                                                      Born To Laugh At Tornadoes

What Up, Dog?                                                     Are You Okay?
This discussion has been closed.