Guvera

Comments

• Interesting - if you go to Guvera from an iPad (or presumably other mobile device) you get a page inviting you to register to be notified of the Guvera app when it ready. Apparently the Guvera app will be for streaming, like spotify, and access will be granted in the form of using Guvera credits to buy a certain number of days of streaming access on the app.
  • I'm missing something here. How are you guys getting credits? Am I denied as someone who refuses to share out on FB? Is that what this comes down to?
  • You should be able to just click on the ads to get the credit. You need to scroll left to get them all.
  • Wasn't obvious to me first time I looked, but in the middle of the tiled songs when you go to their page and log into your account there should be an ad, or not strictly an ad at the moment but a panel that encourages you to look at their blog, follow them on twitter, share on facebook, or whatever. Scroll across the pages and get fresh ones, up to 8 credits worth per time. Clicking on the ad gives the credit as BT says.
  • I have been having flashbacks to the daily credits...picking the long tracks on Guvera and filling in the album with eMu. So far, seven Pharaoh Sanders albums.
  • I'm working my way through the Art Tatum Group Masterpieces series - nice.
  • I thought I might make a run at Carla Bley (I stopped at Social Studies, which is excellent), but I'm going to see what kind of acoustic blues I can find. I took some of Kelly Joe Phelps' Western Bell and Otis Rush's Right Place, Wrong Time. Maybe some John Hammond will be next.
  • @BT - If you like that Otis Rush album then I would rec the next one on their site the live album Tops also.
  • @BigD: I love it, and I thought about it because you had brought him up a few months ago. It's not quite scratching my itch, if you know what I mean. I think I'd like to make some headway into Alligator Records, but something about their packaging says, "slick."

If I were honest, I'd admit that I have the malaise of being able to get something before I want. (I'll sort out the non sequitur later.)
  • edited October 2012
    @BT - Alligator for my own tastes does tend to be a little "slick" as you say, a little too processed and predictable especially in more recent product, however....there are some very fine releases amongst all that, mostly from older artists. I'd rec the Albert Collins Alligator releases (edit - avoid Collins Mix - this was a re-recorded release made when Albert's health was starting to decline), Johnny Winter's Alligator records were hot, older stars like Big Walter Horton, Magic Slim and the Teardrops, I really like the first 2 Little Charlie and the Nightcats records - All The Way Crazy, and Disturbing The Peace. Son Seals and Luther Allison have some good records there too. Most of these people had a clearly defined sound of their own that didn't get too packaged in the process.
    I see they have a few Holmes Brothers releases including the gospel one - my next acquisition I'd say.
    Edit - I see they don't have any of Johnny Winter's Alligator releases at Guvera, but those 3 albums they have are all fine, and the first up Progressive Blues Experiment was his first album recorded just before Columbia signed him and to me is a Must Have for any blues collection.
  • (Briefly, 'cause I need to get the boy to a party): how do you feel about William Lee Ellis? Hammond's Wicked Grin? Any of the Pinetop Perkins available?
  • Don't know Ellis, don't have Wicked Grin - sounds interesting - and I'd take those Living Chicago tracks by Pinetop, and the After Hours (With A Little Help From My Friends) album.
  • Found a couple of Etta Baker albums

51XkYrbiHQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • BigD: as you can see by the now listening thread, I went another way. I got Big Jack Johnson's Oil Man, but all the tracks have skips all over.
  • edited October 2012
    This is awesome, I'm loving watching the usage on the new site and your comments here!

A few notes:

a) The search results problems for accented characters and other small ordering issues have been identified and are being worked on.
    b) The search layout is changing to be more aesthetically pleasing.
    c) The amount of downloads are only going to increase, this isn't just an initial 'splurge'. This is everyday life again!
    d) To 'click on an ad you must scroll through' is to keep you interacting with the website.

Back to it, cheers for the input everyone :D

Also, a short cut if you want to share search results with friends :
    https://www.guvera.com/playlist?keyword=KEYWORD

ie:
    https://www.guvera.com/playlist?keyword=sublime
    https://www.guvera.com/playlist?keyword=bon jovi

etc.
  • @dddanmar
    Well one thing you've achieved in two weeks is that if I just type "www" into the Chrome address bar it autocompletes to www.guvera.com :-).

I am seeing some issues with login status. While I am logged in sometimes the player suddenly reverts to just playing short song samples, even though I still show as logged in at the top right. Just now I started downloading a track and a "login required" prompt appeared - even though the song continued to download and the screen still shows me logged in and the player is continuing to play a whole track for me (after only playing samples a moment ago - I did not re-log-in in between). It seems to become uncertain whether I am logged in or not...
  • Just noticed that the first two First Aid Kit Albums are there. Just saw them in an awesome show on Saturday at the Kessler in Dallas.
  • BTW, I didn't notice the manner to get free credits because my ad remover for Firefox blocked them out. Anyone have Virgin Records recs? I love Ben Harper, but lots of unfamiliars on there for me.
  • I've probably downloaded more from Guvera in the past few days then in the past year. The new site is working well, and it's actually inspired me to download some various singles from the radio and whatnot because my wife and kid like them.
  • Erkki-Sven Tüür, Oxymoron and Strata. Search also for Crystallisatio, I had a hard time finding it. Strata consists of two long pieces preformed by the Nordic Symphony Orchestra.

Who is Erkki-Sven Tüür? An Estonian composer, wikipedia says "From 1979 to 1984 he headed the rock group In Spe, which quickly became one of the most popular in Estonia." So I guess that makes him a kind of Estonian John Zorn. I have listened through Oxymoron twice today, very nice modern classical, cinematic with just an edge of avant-garde. "Salve Regina for male choir and ensemble" is a lovely vocal piece, Oxymoron has some nice percussion sections.

Strata is an eMusic "pick" if that means anything to anyone.
  • I was listening to Tüür earlier today--great stuff, though I like Oxymoron more than Strata.
  • edited October 2012
    A warning (especially for BigD and dddanmar):

Several of the albums on Earwig (blues label) have major skips on almost every track. You should avoid them.
  • I had trouble with my First Aid Kit Downloads not completing and they asked what tracks and claim will soon refund me the credits so I can try again.
  • Fwiw, I had a 'bad track' that I retried successfully.

It was on this curious little duet album, which I have long been curious about and which works beautifully. Shepp meeting Ibrahim more than halfway, as it would almost have to be.

511mQz%2B7%2BpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • Hmm now the same downloading problem I mentioned earlier with First Kit now on the Cannonball Atterley quintet mentioned elsewhere on here.
  • ALERT - Nothing is downloading successfully for me at the moment - absolutely nothing happens, not even failure, or problem. So watch out.
  • edited October 2012
    Probs here as well.

ETA: Started OK, but then wound up with a "Network Error" (in Chrome)
  • Worked for me.
  • Wait! My downloads are slowing down, taking over three minutes for short tracks @256.
  • Yeah, I got a couple, then site stopped responding - "absolutely nothing," as reported by BigD.