Guvera

Comments

• The logout issue you hit has been fixed, the programming monkeys are in the process of making the change live in the next few hours. I was listening to music and it just did it to me then too :/.

re: Olafur Arnalds - try search again, seems there for me now?
  • Anyone else still getting the Flash Upgrade error?
  • Still getting the same error. I've upgraded to the latest version of Flash, quit out of all my browsers, even shut down the whole computer. Nothing. The most annoying part is that I can see the entire homepage for a fleeting second before I get redirected to the Flash Loser page. Also annoying is the fact that the Flash Loser page has no link to contact Guvera about the problem.

Can someone here provide a link to a Guvera page that bypasses the homepage (like the login page or something)? Perhaps that will help...
  • Working fine for me with a brand new google chrome, which was conveniently offered along with the flash upgrade.

A couple requests for the monkeys:

Gal Costa - Gal Costa and Marion Brown - Sweet Earth Flying were there a couple days ago but gone yesterday.

Also Jards Macal
  • No error here - Win7/Chrome. There's been a new update where the "offers" change, rather than having to scroll through pages

anose, dddanmar suggested the following way of sharing links a while ago:
  • edited October 2012
    LOL Doofy, that's the first thing I thought of - using those links. No joy. Still getting the Flash Upgrade notice on Safari. I haven't restarted my PC, but I did clear out all Safari's cookies for anything Guvera.
    At least IE9 works.
  • Working fine for me too on Win7/Chrome.
  • edited October 2012
    Working for me on Firefox on Mac with Snow Leopard. Just picked up a few bluegrass tracks (highly rec Dan Crary BTW), and I think there's a fair amount of New Rounder label stuff available for any who were put off by the "New" higher prices when the old Rounder was re-introduced to eMu. A couple of good Duke Robillard albums, Swing and After Hours Swing Session, are there, and I didn't find his albums with Herb Ellis yet but there are some of Herb's own albums - some don't stream though.
  • edited October 2012
    Thought it would be best to leave it a day or two to see if the error regarding Flash disappeared as updates happened. For most it appears to have..

To those still having the problem, you can send an email to support@guvera.com - get them to forward the problem to Dan (they normally do anyway ;)) and we can take a look together?

There are no links that bypass that check - it happens on every single page.

Oh and yes, the update included that flippy-tile thing for the ads - now you don't have to scroll forever to get new advertising content if it is available.

re: content monkey request, I have forwarded those tracks on but I feel they will be fixed in the 'Hey guys, all of the broken tracks are fixed' post coming ... soon ... .. ...
  • Ultimae Records (downtempo electronica) is well-represented on Guvera - Carbon based Lifeforms, Solar Fields, Aes Dana, Fahrenheit Project. (I go through phases of liking/being less keen on that stuff, but may well be happy to expand my collection for free).
  • edited October 2012
    kancheli-g.jpg

I have downloaded several excellent albums from the Georgian composer Giya Kancheli on Guvera. These are mostly long modern classical pieces, "Giya Kancheli is Georgia's most distinguished living composer and a leading figure in the world of contemporary music. Kancheli's scores, deeply spiritual in nature, are filled with haunting aural images, varied colors and textures, sharp contrasts and shattering climaxes. His music draws inspiration from Georgian folklore and sings with a heartfelt, yet refined emotion; it is conceived dramaturgically with a strong linear flow and an expansive sense of musical time. A man of uncompromising artistic integrity, Kancheli has been called by Russian composer Rodion Shchedrin, "an ascetic with the temperament of a maximalist -- a restrained Vesuvius."

These are all two or three long tracks per album links go to eMu for album pricing.

Giya Kancheli - Trauerfarbenes Land
    Giya Kancheli - In l'istesso tempo
    Giya Kancheli - Little Imber
    Giya Kancheli - Diplipito
    Giya Kancheli - Styx
    Giya Kancheli - Magnum Ignotum
    Giya Kancheli - Vom Winde beweint
  • @dddanmar: hope you're having a good day. I thought I'd tell you that the Steaz ad isn't depositing credits after posting to FB.
  • @Plong: You missed some:
    Kancheli: Styx / Gubaidulina: Viola Concerto (1 track)
    Hymns and Prayers (1 track)
    Carris Mere (whole album)
    Lament (not clear that it is available at Guvera)
  • @dddanmar - Steaz ad credits did not work for me either - tried it twice.
  • Same here - no credits. Still got my usual 8 from Guvera, though!
  • edited October 2012
    If you like/want some of the more spacey/lush end of ambient, Extended by Solar Fields is well regarded and is 7 credits on Guvera. (link = emusic, with FWIW some user reviews)
    Sublime ambient intricacies flowing, floating - eminently panoramic. Solar Fields here unveils a series of drone environments embellished with melodic motifs, abundant effects and intriguing peripherals. There are a few beats in places - distant, soft, restful - less than usual for a Solar Fields release - but then that's the whole idea for this CD - 'extended' explorations of atmosphere and tone. Echoing interjections and water effects punctuate the synth washes and clouds, the odd distorted voice sample murmuring within the mists and what sounds to be a cat mewing somewhere far below.
  • edited October 2012
    @dddanmar, I've just been streaming on Guvera, and let it run across a number of tracks across two albums, then switched to a third album visible on the same page.

The streaming has mostly worked fine (I had one instance so far of the suddenly-decides-to-skip-mid-track bug), but the song and album title in the player are not updating.

Right now the song title is given as the title of the third track I played from album #1, and the album title is given as the title of album #2, while I am playing a different track from album #3.

Given that sometimes the only way on Guvera to figure out what album a track is from or which of several versions of a song it is is that indicator in the player area, not being able to get the song/album title there correctly is potentially a significant problem.

ETA: searching for a completely different artist and playing them has not refreshed the song/album title display. Chrome, Win7.
  • I can't believe I was actually happy to see advertising on a website, but the Steaz ad did make me smile. Unfortunately it keeps telling me I need to link my Facebook account. Weird since the Guvera ones post just fine.
  • @Bad Thoughts - Thanks! I had Styx, but missed the other two, listening to Hymns and Prayers now, thanks to Guvera! As for lament, I cannot find it on Guvera, and I have tried numerous variations, composer, artists, conductor, etc.
  • I uploaded the Steaz ad yesterday and gave it a test, worked fine. Also just reset my account and redid the FB post and got another three credits.

Anyone who has used it that got 0 credits want to whisper me a login? I can take a poke and see, and if there's a problem I'd appreciate finding it :P

GP - That's an interesting bug you've found there. I've copied it and forwarded it onto the development monkeys to pick each others nits out of their fur and see what is happening. It might be something simple like the index got lost.

:D All
  • We are looking at the Facebook ad for Steaz for those that it didn't work for, though it appears to be working for most people.

Just a quick note, the hurricane is causing dramas for the website, so if there are any issues in the next 24 hours my bet is the weather.

Hope everyone is safe.
  • edited October 2012
    dddanmar, the site is locking up every time I try to download ... 3 tracks down.

ETA: it;s locking at the click here if your download does not begin in 10 seconds. Clicking does nothing, although it is possible to exit the box. The tracks streamed OK.

Re hurricane: just getting a lot of cold rain here.
  • Below is an incomplete list of albums from P4Ks Top 200 of 2000-2010 that are on Guvera. It's incomplete because I didn't search for any I already have, and there were a couple that I knew I would never download in a million years, so I didn't bother with them either:

191. Air – Talkie Walkie
    190. Elliott Smith – Figure 8
    185. Scarface – The Fix
    178. Lil Wayne – Tha Carter II
    169. Common – Like Water for Chocolate
    154. Ghostface Killah – The Pretty Toney Album
    152. Cannibal Ox – The Cold Vein
    142. Primal Scream – XTRMNTR
    140. TV on the Radio – Dear Science
    133. Erykah Badu – New Amerykah Part One: 4th World War
    132. Hercules and Love Affair - s/t
    126. Mastodon – Leviathan
    124. PJ Harvey – Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea
    120. Ted Leo & the Pharmacists – The Tyranny of Distance
    119. Eminem – The Marshall Mathers LP
    114. Cam’Ron – Purple Haze
    108. Sonic Youth – Murray Street
    100. …And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead – Source Tags and Codes
    75. Ghostface Killah – Fishscale
    68. Robyn – s/t
    64. The Hold Steady – Boys and Girls in America
    61. Cut Copy – In Ghost Colours
    59. Ted Leo & the Pharmacists – Hearts of Oak
    57. The Rapture – Echoes
    39. Boredoms – Vision Creation Newsun
    27. Animal Collective – Sung Tongs
    25. Madvillain – Madvillainy
    24. Yeah Yeah Yeahs – Fever to Tell
    15. The Knife – Silent Shout

Craig
  • Hey, everyone,

I don't know who was hesitating because I had problems this morning, but I just downloaded a whole album without problem. Perhaps my difficulties were storm related?
  • Hey BT - The problem you were describing was directly impacted by the weather. I could go into long length internet traffic routing explanations, though I think we will just go with 'it's fixed' for now.
  • Thanks for the list, Craig.

The Steaz ads still don't credit my account with downloads.
  • Plong and Germanprof (and anyone else looking at music inspired by old Christian works): I found a fair amount of the Signum Records catalog, which has a lot of choir work. It cuts off after 2009, unfortunately.

dddanmar: do you think my insurance will cover the lost downloads? (just kidding)
  • Just had a download get to 10.6/10.7 MB and then give me a network error message. Really missing that "redownload from history" feature.
  • edited November 2012
    Albums to check on Guvera mentioned on other threads:
    Doofy wrote:
    I got Charlie Haden/Egberto Gismonti "In Montreal" and Dewey Redman "The Struggle Continues." An old favorite, Bennie Maupin's space-jazz "Jewel in the Lotus" is there too.
    amclark2 wrote:
    Paul Motian Band's Psalm, Paul Bley's Open, to Love, and Keith Jarrett's Facing You.
    BT wrote:
    Don't forget to look at Jarett's La Scalia and Paris Concert, both three long tracks. And I whole-heartedly recommend almost any album by Gismonti,
    (Posting the words of others here mostly for my own later convenience when I can't remember which of 20 pages of the now listening thread the recs were on)
  • I think this recent ECM "Touchstone" reissue series is mostly there too: http://www.discogs.com/lists/ECM-the-Touchstone-reissues/24675