Guvera

Comments

• @GP, and everyone - regarding the above mentioned Tal Farlow - The Complete Verve Sessions, it would not stream for me, and neither would any of the releases that came up when I tried using The Complete Mercury... nor The Complete Verve... as Search criteria, so these may not be good download candidates at the moment. I still have my eye on the Oscar Peterson Trio - Complete Mercury/Clef Recordings ....maybe someday.
  • edited November 2012
    My latest tagging peeve - personally I do not want the song in my playlist to be titled "'Round About Midnight (Rudy Van Gelder 24-Bit Mastering) (2002 Digital Remaster)". Lots of tag trimming going on here. It's famine or feast - not tags or way too much information.
  • Honestly, I'm thrilled at having some 300 downloads, but I haven't DLd anything because of the time it takes to tag it properly. Crap. I'm one of THOSE people.
  • @Katrina - I'd suggest letting the mp3s build up on your computer rather than the downloads build up. Not that I think Guvera would purposefully screw over anyone, but if some glitch wiped out your d/ls it's a lot harder to get back 300 credits when you don't even pay for them. I just save them all in my download directory until I have a chance to tag 'em all. Did like 100 of them last night.

@GP - I cut all that stuff from the tracks and add it to the album title. I like knowing which version of the album I have, but it's real annoying on the track titles.

@BDB - Since things have been clearing up lately, I tried a couple tracks that wouldn't stream and they actually downloaded. Obviously can't vouch for everything, but it might be worth risking a download to try one of them.
  • @thom, I agree, it's OK on the album tag to distinguish versions - but it was provided on that tag already as well as the individual tracks. Like I said, it can be too little or too much. Another thing that's a new dilemma for me as I download more jazz and classical is what date to tag an album with. Since I am very unlikely to collect multiple versions of these albums, I am tending to override the release date of remastered versions with the original release date - when I look at what I am listening to I am much more interested in when the music was made than in when the latest reissue was out on a CD.
  • Did Criss Cross also disappear?
  • Guvera has a bunch of great BBC Sessions releases, many of which are 2-CD sets for those (like me) who have accumulated a decent number of credits. I've picked up BBC sets from Joe Jackson, Lloyd Cole & the Commotions, Julian Cope, and Squeeze so far. Agreed that the re-tagging is a bit of a PITA, but free music is still free, even if I have to spend a few minutes fixing the tags.
  • Yeh, don't complain about free music, some of us would be grateful for it whatever we had to do with the downloads!!
  • Night Walks by HIdden Orchestra, a marvelous album, is on Guvera for anyone who does not have it yet.
  • The site is having problems: although tracks will stream, they won't download. The save dialog box doesn't come up, and nothing happens if you click "after ten seconds."
  • Guvera download is working OK for me.
  • Just had the weirdest thing happen though. I just donwloaded a track from Eno's Ambient 4. I also had the coltrane album mentioned on another thread open in another browser window at an emusic page. When the Eno track finished downloading, I double clicked it to take a listen - and at that precise moment the emusic sample player (as it does from time to time) suddenly decided to autonomously activate itself and start playing the coltrane. It had me so puzzled! I was sure there was no sax on Ambient 4....
  • Tagging alert - some albums on Guvera have gratuitous backslash characters in the tags (Pink Floyd: A Saucerful of Secrets is an example). Your mileage may vary, but in the MP3 tagging software I use this screws things up if you rename the files from the tags, because it then interprets those characters as file path dividers.
  • Update: the downloads worked on my desktop, not my laptop (one which I disable auto-updates in order save battery time).
  • I only got 5 credits today - same for others?
  • The 3 credits from FB are gone. All the rest, including McF and Playskool are still there.
  • Scratch that: the problem is not my computer, or Guvera in general, but tracks by Gainsbourg.
  • edited November 2012
    Are those McDs and Playskool credits refreshing for a second go? Nothing posts to my facebook when I try them now; I did use them successfully once when they first appeared.
    ETA Playskool posts to FB. McDs gives me credits but does not post.
  • They refresh daily. Of course, I let them go public and delete them immediately (at least the McDonalds, which does me no good as a kosher pescatarian. Which reminds me, someplace locally sells Steaz. I might try some).

Filtrate renews once per week, I think.
  • edited November 2012
    The Playskool ad keeps giving me more credits every time I click on it!
    ETA, well it worked three times anyway.
  • Only 5 for me, and I still can't get the actual ads, so...

Craig
  • Filtrate has never offered me more credits since the first time.
  • I sent CS a note about the Gainsbourg thing. Weird: The same problem occurred for the same songs on both the regular album version and the Int
  • Try clicking on all the filtrate ads to see what happens.
  • If I'm not mistaken, these are the current credits:

5/day blog, Guvera, Instagram, FB
    5/day McDonalds
    3/day plus 2/week Playskool
    2/week Filtrate

My wife and I have been getting at least 16 credits a day until yesterday. I expect a tile to turn around, saying, "get a new hard drive, fercrisesake!"
  • edited November 2012
    I click on filtrate it just takes me to their FB page again. Not that I'ma desparate - between my wife and I we still have about 180 credits to burn. Please everyone keep posting what you are finding - I have downloaded a lot of albums that other people have posted (it's been like an instant guide to certain areas of jazz) and enjoying them. Guvera has very little in the genres/labels I usually follow, so I need ideas to keep up!!!

BTW - now downloading The Pearl by Harold Budd/Brian Eno. Weird that I don't already have this, given its classic status, but despite my love for ambient, Eno and Budd have both been a bit peripheral for me.
  • Have you tried Alice Coltrane?
  • How do you get the Playskool and McDonalds credits?
  • McDonalds
    Playskool

Have to be signed in to Facebook (and "attached" to user account...by email? I had to make some change for it to work) to get the credits.