Guvera

Comments

• @luddite - Yep, it was a busy day yesterday getting the My Library live.

That page will start to have more features and be more then just a straight list of all of the tracks in your playlist - but I think it's off to a great start. I found stuff in my playlists I had forgotten all about, and in a mad round of testing I went and downloaded another 30 tracks that I wanted for my drive home.

And now, it's the weekend. I'm going to crawl onto my couch and sleep for a few days...
  • edited December 2012
    happy napping! I used to like taking naps in the recliner with the baby on my tummy. Good times, good times.

So. I was just logging it to Guvera and there was a red tile with hands waving like the zombie hands on Mordoc. The flashback broke my typing stride.
  • Just heard Tico Tico from this album on the Pandora Bebop channel (like those new genre channels so far) and dug it, and Guvera's got it -
    600x600.jpg
  • Uh-oh...
    This webpage is not available
    Google Chrome could not load the webpage because www.guvera.com took too long to respond. The website may be down, or you may be experiencing issues with your Internet connection.
  • Just worked fine for me.

Craig
  • Works for me.
  • edited December 2012
    Bremble posted a link on the lists thread to a site that has a composite list of the 'core collection' from three editions of the Penguin Jazz Guide. This is a welcome boat to sail across the oceans of my ignorance. I've started checking it against Guvera. Here are the artists beginning with 'A' for the albums available on Guvera (about 50% of the titles on the original list are on Guvera so far). I'll continue as I have time - feel free to beat me to it.
    * the number before the title is the number of download credits needed. "P" means only part of the album is on Guvera.
    * I tested this only with straight searches for artist/title, none of the advanced search tricks, so it's possible I missed some.

P Julian 'Cannonball' Adderley: Somethin' Else [58, Blue Note]
    8 Ahmad Jamal: At the Pershing [58, Chess]
    32 Ahmad Jamal: Cross Country Tour: 1958-1961 [Chess]
    12 Alexander von Schlippenbach: Pakistani Pomade [1972, Atavistic]
    8 Andrew Hill: Andrew!!! [64, Blue Note]
    7 Andrew Hill: Point of Departure [64, Blue Note]
    5 Archie Shepp: Four for Trane [64, Impulse]
    8 Art Blakey: A Night at Birdland Vol. 1 [54, Blue Note]
    7 Art Blakey: A Night at Birdland Vol. 2 [54, Blue Note]
    9 Art Farmer: Portrait of Art [58, OJC]
    10 Art Pepper: Meets the Rhythm Section [57, OJC]
    99 Art Tatum: The Complete Pablo Solo Masterpieces [53-55, Pablo, 7CD]
    P Art Tatum: The Tatum Group Masterpieces Vol. 8 [56, Pablo]
  • edited December 2012
    wrong thread...
  • Weird...still down for me, in different browsers, on 2 computers!
  • Ok, weird, nothing alerted me and everything *looks fine*.

I'll take a look into it. What ISP are you with Doofy?
  • edited December 2012
    Here's the 'B' artists from the Penguin Jazz Guide core collection. The number is just the number of tracks available on Guvera - may not be the whole album.

38 Ben Webster: Music for Loving [54-55, Verve, 2CD]
    16 Benny Carter: Further Definitions [61-66, Impulse]
    14 Betty Carter: The Audience With Betty Carter [79, Verve, 2CD]
    11 Bill Evans: Waltz for Debby [61, OJC]
    19 Bobo Stenson: Serenity [99, ECM, 2CD]
    20 Bud Powell: The Amazing Bud Powell: Volume 1 [49-51, Blue Note]
    15 Bud Powell: The Amazing Bud Powell: Volume 2 [51-53, Blue Note]
  • edited December 2012
    ddanmar, AT&T. Have just been wondering if they could be blocking it.
  • I have AT&T and have access. However, there are plenty of times I have trouble downloading.

To everyone: check out "The Great Concert of Charles Mingus."
  • Guvera is working fine for me, A&T. I cannot get the McD's freebies. I couldn't for a long time, then I could, now I can't again.
  • Album I just bumped into at eMu that Guvera has under Jazz Giants '58
    600x600.jpg
  • Every so often I stop getting downloads, but usually just closing up shop for a couple hours and logging back in later clears up the issues.

@GP - thanks for the Pengion guide info.
  • edited December 2012
    You're welcome. Here's more: slim pickings for 'C':

6 Cecil Taylor: Jazz Advance [56, Blue Note]
    8 Charles Mingus: The Black Saint & the Sinner Lady [63, Impulse]
    25 Charlie Parker: Charlie Parker [47-53, Verve]
    128 Charlie Parker: The Complete Savoy and Dial Studio Recordings [44-48, Savoy, 8CD] (Actually a slightly different title on Guvera - I think it's the same material, but have not checked too closely)
    16 Count Basie: The Complete Atomic Mr Basie [57, Roulette]
  • And 'D';
    6 Dave Holland: Conference of the Birds [72, ECM]
    7 David Liebman: Drum Ode [74, ECM]
    7 Dexter Gordon: Our Man in Paris [63, Blue Note]
    42 Dizzy Gillespie: Birks Works [56-57, Verve, 2CD]
  • edited December 2012
    Don't DL the last disc (approx 18 tracks or so) of the Farmer-Golson box from Guvera. They are messed up - you can hear it in the samples. I am sending a note to support.

ETA: Same deal at eMusic, and the set has disappeared from Amazon! So presumably a problem with the files from Verve...
  • I swear I've read a similar message on another music website I visit, although then it was with dread.
  • edited December 2012
    This message comes with benefits, like search fixes etc!

Back online in 5...
    {edit} and it's back.
    Any problems, I'll be around for a few hours...
  • dddanmar - Did you notice my post awhile back about the couple of tracks that I couldn't get to download?

Craig
  • Yep - pretty much any time I notice someone here mention a broken track I forward it on to the content team.
    Of course, a lot of them are falling into the pile of 'the big fix will fix these tracks' (getting closer..).
  • Thanks! Just wanted to make sure it didn't slip through the cracks. You guys are doing great work there.

Craig
  • You know I somewhat checked - out of curiosity and a few moments of at-work-check-out-time - to see if the Paste Top 50 were on Guvera. Not too surprising to say I only found one, but the one was their top choice. If it hasn't already been said, Frank Ocean's album is on there.
  • Guvera is working as well as it ever has tonight. I got all the free credits, MacD and Playskool.
  • edited December 2012
    'E' and 'F':
    4 Eberhard Weber: Yellow Fields [75, ECM]
    35 Ella Fitzgerald: The Cole Porter Songbook [56, Verve, 2CD]
    4 Eric Dolphy: Out to Lunch [64, Blue Note]
    8 Freddie Hubbard: Open Sesame [60, Blue Note]