Guvera

Comments

• Strange problem for me this morning. I signed in as usual and a page popped up over the usual Guvera home page with a summary of my profile. When I tried to close it is said I need to complete my profile. OK, I guess. But when I click on the link to complete my profile, nothing happens. I can't click on anything and get off thi profile page. I even tried shutting down my computer and going back in but now it automatically goes to this "profile" page. I'm trapped!

I wouldn't even be able to send a question through the Guvera page because of this, so I came here. Any thoughts ddd? Thanks!
  • Did you not get the actual profile boxes to fill out? I got that page too but once I had filled out the required fields it let me close it.
  • Rudie, did you (or will it let you) fill in the "country" field? I got this, and that was the piece of info it seemed to be looking for,
  • edited December 2012
    It wouldn't take me to the page to select my country, just hung up. I just tried it from my work computer and it worked as GP and D described, so looks like I'm good to go. Thanks for the input!

Now I can load up on Sparks and Swans this weekend!
  • edited December 2012
    Juliana Hatfield is broken at track Hey Babe #11 No Answer
    edit: never mind, just some browser weirdness, I guess.

OMG, I am so inlove with Bittersweet Symphony from The Verve.
  • Morning (evening),

Rudie - sorry to hear you had dramas, the country and any starred fields were the fields to confirm with this update. We had tested the process over and over again on multiple computers and interacting in different ways with it. I'll forward on a screen shot to the testers and see if they can pick it up as well. In the meantime, glad to hear you got through it on another computer. What OS/Browser are you using?
  • Hi ddd - Was using Internet Explorer both at home and at work. Version 7 at work - not sure about home (likely 7 or 8). Just to be clear - from home I couldn't get to the page where i had to verify the starred fields. I was stuck on the page that popped up with a link to that page with the starred fields, but it wouldn't let me click through and wouldn't disappear. Worked as it shold from work. I plan to catch up on some downloading this weekend; I'll let you know if I run into any issues. Thanks!
  • @Katrina

If you feel like checking out more Verve, I highly recommend A Storm in Heaven.

Someone is streaming the entire album on a youtube vid here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EilryI3WMNk
  • edited December 2012
    More of the Penguin Jazz Guide core collection on Guvera, names with G,H,I. Number indicates number of tracks on Guvera, may not be whole album. No Jedi search tricks applied.

42 Gerry Mulligan: The Original Quartet [52-53, Blue Note, 2CD]
    6 Gil Evans: Out of the Cool [60, Impulse]
    19 Grant Green: The Complete Quartets With Sonny Clark [61-62, Blue Note, 2CD]
    2 Greg Osby: Banned in New York [98, Blue Note]
    43 Henry 'Red' Allen: Henry 'Red' Allen & His Orchestra 1929-1933 [Classics] (Note: the only album I can find on Amazon has "1929-1930" in the title - that's the one that's on Guvera. Is this an error in the list I'm working from or is there another album?)
    3 Ishmael Wadada Leo Smith: Divine Love [78, ECM]
  • I suspect the "Red" Allen disc that's recommended is from the sadly out of print "Chronological Classics" series. However, I betcha the Henry Red Allen and His New York Orchestra 1929-1930 is also pretty swell.
  • That's the one that they have.

Here's 'J':

3 Jackie McLean: Let Freedom Ring [62, Blue Note]
    6 Jan Garbarek: Dis [76, ECM]
    10 Jimmy Smith: Groovin' at Smalls' Paradise [57, Blue Note, 2CD]
    10 Joe Lovano: From the Soul [91, Blue Note]
    13 John Coltrane: A Love Supreme [64, Impulse]
    2 John Coltrane: Ascension [65, Impulse]
    10 John Surman: A Biography of the Rev. Absalom Dawe [94, ECM]
    22 June Christy: Something Cool: The Complete Mono and Stereo Versions [53-60, Capitol]
  • 'K':
    4 Keith Jarrett: The Köln Concert [75, ECM, 2CD]
    8 Kenny Burrell: Ellington Is Forever Vol. 1 [75, Fantasy]
    17 Kenny Dorham: 'Round About Midnight at the Café Bohemia [56, Blue Note, 2CD]
  • I just discovered they have a whole bunch of the Minutemen, which I'm happy about.

On the downside, I was going to download Kilimanjaro by the Teardrop Explodes, which was there a couple of days ago, but now I can't get to it.

Oh well, I'm having too much fun to be very bummed about one album.
  • Hmm. Might have been interested in Kilimajaro too. Maybe it'll come back.
  • Funny because it is still showing up on the search list, but link goes nowhere. The "Peel Sessions" disc that's there looks good.

Somebody mentioned Sparks...a handful of the earlier albums are there.
  • If you start jonesing for more Sparks, you should try out Franco Battiato's La Voce del Padrone. It has that smooth Moroder synth sound underneath and a quirkiness throughout, though a bit more Peter Gabriel than Mael brothers. (Supposedly he works with Marxist philosophers for his lyrics, but I wouldn't know.)
  • more Verve, I highly recommend A Storm in Heaven.
    Thanks, DLing now!
  • Circle - Paris Concert, 2 CD, 6 tracks. Features Anthony Braxton, Chich Corea, Dave Holland, Barry Altschul. Very 1971, a great deal on Guvea considering it is $20.77 on Amazon for MP3, CD's much higher.
  • edited December 2012
    Thanks Plong, snagged that. Holland and Altschul were in that Sam Rivers Trio (*36* years later!) I was listening to earlier today. I saw Holland last month, what an amazing player.

Yesterday was playing around with album titles starting with "The Complete" - the list goes on for days. Similarly tons of good "Ultimate Collections"
  • Were people aware of the 2 Captain Beefheart albums on Guvera?

Also, any guidance on all of The Residents material up there?
  • The thrill slowly fades. I saw this morning that "3" has become the new "5" which had previously been "7". Could never bring myself to advertise for obesity and garbage plastic despite musical greed. But so much good music to enjoy. Grateful to have landed so many EMI and Blue Note classics along with rather eclectic mix.
  • 3 tracks a day is still a good deal: that adds up to a new album every fourth or fifth day.
  • edited December 2012
    Hihi all,

New advertisers are on the way in the next few days.
    Some of the existing ones that have run out will be topped up again (hopefully today).

{edit} and done - you should see more ads available for you with credits.
  • @dddanmar
    When I click on advertisers I get this message: "This Guvera account is linked to a different Facebook Account. Please check and try again". What can I do about this?
  • MrV - can you whisper me your login email address for Guvera? Also your last name as it comes up on Facebook. I will find the two accounts associate them back together again.
  • @ dddanmar

Done, thanks very much
  • edited December 2012
    More Penguin core collection at Guvera. Number = # of available tracks. Artists beginning with L,M,N:

6 Larry Young: Unity [65, Blue Note]
    5 Lee Konitz: Motion [61, Verve]
    9 Lee Morgan: The Sidewinder [63, Blue Note]
    (Louis Armstrong: The Complete Hot Five and Hot Seven Recordings [25-30, Columbia, 4CD]; This version is not there, but search for "hot five" and there are some of these recordings there)
    5 McCoy Tyner: Time for Tyner [68, Blue Note]
    12 Mel Torm
  • O,R:
    5 Ornette Coleman: At the Golden Circle, Stockholm: Volume 1 [65, Blue Note]
    4 Ornette Coleman: At the Golden Circle, Stockholm: Volume 2 [65, Blue Note]
    18 Oscar Peterson: Night Train [62, Verve]
    12 Ran Blake: All That Is Tied [03, Tompkins Square]
  • edited December 2012
    Final instalment: rest of alphabet:
    10 Sarah Vaughan: Sarah Vaughan [54, Verve]
    11 Scott Hamilton: Plays Ballads [89, Concord]
    12 Sheila Jordan: Portrait of Sheila [62, Blue Note]
    2 Shelly Manne: At the Black Hawk [59, OJC, 5CD]
    7 Sonny Rollins: A Night at the Village Vanguard [57, Blue Note, 2CD]
    6 Sonny Rollins: Saxophone Colossus [56, OJC]
    1 Sonny Rollins: This Is What I Do [00, Milestone]
    9 Stan Getz: Focus [61, Verve]
    8 Thad Jones: Consummation [70, Blue Note]
    5 Thelonious Monk: With John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall [57, Blue Note]
    10 Tomasz Stanko: Leosia [96, ECM] (NB: listed as artist: Tony Oxley)
    5 Tony Williams: Life Time [64, Blue Note]
    14 Wes Montgomery: Incredible Jazz Guitar [60, OJC]

I am sure I've missed some. Some albums that are on Guvera don't come up with an album title search. Some are listed with the wrong artist. I didn't do a lot of cross-checking. But it's given me an initial list to educate myself with.