Guvera

Comments

• Thanks Prof,

Some good discoveries there, and a few surprises. Any or all Larry Young is strongly recc'd by me! (He didn't live long, so there's not much.) Most of that Shelly Manne set has disappeared, glad I got a couple of them.

So if you search "Complete Motown Singles" and click show all, guess what you see?
  • um...lots of Motown singles?
  • @dddanmar: could you tell the content dudes that almost all the tracks on Play On by Celtic Fiddle Festival are corrupted with static? Thanks
  • Only two downloads this morning. Still, I have a playlist with all the tracks I've obtained from Guvera in the past two years and it's currently at 1,650 songs. No complaints here.
  • um...lots of Motown singles?

All of 'em...A and B sides!

Just 2 here too. Es bueno que estoy tan encantada con McDonald's.
  • Only one download this morning. Ready for the new advertisers, whoever they are.
  • I got two: try to refresh the page.
  • Only 1 worked for me as well, and I jumped through the hoops repeatedly.
  • Well, this places me on the horns of a quandary, as it were...I've been stockpiling credits towards getting one of the big jazz sets. So do I stick that plan and patiently wait for them to accrue, or do I spend while the spending's good?

Or maybe dddanmar's about to appear with some excellent new ways to earn credits....! Other than that, I wish we could better link to Guvera finds, here and elsewhere. For example, if I could directly post that huge Motown singles collection, I know some of my FB people would be interested in checking it out.
  • @dddanmar, I get a "media not found" message for the track "Space Child" by The Portal. All other tracks on the album stream correctly.
  • edited December 2012
    LOL, one DL a day is still OK. Just sayin'.

I have about 150 credits on both accounts. I know some of you piggies here have like, 5 accounts.

Last night, I replaced my vinyl Eric Clapton Slowhand, which I have not listened to in years. I'm very happy. I may pick up that Jahn Mayall/Clapton from the early 60s that is so touted on all the darling lists. The one where it says "featuring Eric Clapton". I almost automatically DL'd the EC Was Here album, because I also have that on vinyl, and I love the cover art, but then I remembered live recordings are not my cup of tea.

Also that Blind Faith album all my friends had & I never got around to:
    Blind-Faith-1.jpg

It was weird seeing this come up on the Guvera site. I didn't realize I missed it until I saw the album cover.....
    Apropos of nothing, when EC came to Kansas City when I was a teen, I fell asleep at his concert. He had just found jesus and it felt like catholic church. What a yawn. Clapton is god, my ass. I wiki'd him last night and saw the graffiti & dog thing, cracked me up.

461 Ocean Blvd is his finest album, if you ask me. Guvera has it, and if you have no Clapton at all, that is the one to get, you jazzhounds.
  • Germanprof, I apologize, but I missed the memo on what the numbers mean in your posts. For example,
    10 Sarah Vaughan: Sarah Vaughan [54, Verve]
    11 Scott Hamilton: Plays Ballads [89, Concord]
  • @Katrina,
    The number at the start is the number of tracks available on Guvera. This may or may not be equivalent to the number of tracks on the complete album - some of them are only partially on Guvera. The number in parentheses is the year of release.

@dddanmar, I spoke too soon - the track "Space Weaver" is also broken on that Portal album.
  • "Be the first to find out when. Head over to Guvera's brand #new Facebook Page & hit LIKE "

Burger King is stepping up to the plate?
  • And the negative progression continues...

Zero credits this morning.
  • It was good while it lasted. I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did. How many times can they give us free music for clicking on the "like us on facebook" link for the hundredth time after we've already "liked" them? I was fully expecting that to be gone after a couple of weeks, not a couple of months.
  • Thanks for the dance partner. Liking Burger King's not in my future. Great, great fun.
  • Is the Burger King thing just sarcasm? I don't see any Burger King credits.
  • It took a few clicks, but I got three from Filtrate this morning.
  • Burger King was sarcasm, sorry. Possibly parody, it is hard to tell. I always thought through ought to be an HTML tag <sarcasm> </sarcasm>.
  • There's more credits on the way, 1 a day permanently would make me cry..
  • See, I knew he'd come through for us! :)

dddanmar, see my suggestion above about sharing albums/playlists, etc. I have FB friends who do this with Spotify and Rdio, would be great to do so for Guvera. I realize it's probably easier to suggest than to do...
  • Hah, I do my best ;)
    re: the share links - I've put a few suggestions over the last few weeks that I hope we get to work on at the start of the New Year. For me, easier share links is one of the biggest things.
    Oh, there's some new music on site too, we are nearly there to having the catalogue fully repaired and updating every day. Woo..Wooo..
  • @dddanmar,
    I'll take your word for it that new music is being added. What I am mostly noticing is albums disappearing - within the last week, the following albums seem to have disappeared:
    Art Blakey: A Night at Birdland Volume 1
    Art Blakey: A Night at Birdland Volume 2
    Lee Morgan: Sidewinder

I am noticing because I went through compiling the list that is in various posts up this thread of Penguin Jazz Guide Core Collection albums available on Guvera. Now when I go back to check individual albums out, a number of them are not there. (Birdland vol 1 above I already downloaded, so I know it was there - can't find it now).
  • Got 7 non-advertising credits from Guvera tonight.
  • Thanks, am. I was able to get 8.
  • Come to think of it I got 8 too! I lost count.
  • Thanks am, much appreciated..
  • Excellent. I got 8 as well. I was just about to use the last of the credits I had accumulated, too. Thanks!