Guvera

Comments

• @luddite; I have the same problems with "my playlists" etc.
  • I'm still seeing the same.
  • Well, in a twist on the more usual pattern, "Steamin' [Rudy Van Gelder edition]" (i.e. Steamin' with the Miles Davis Quintet) is on Guvera with 2 tracks missing. Those two tracks are album-only on Amazon. But they are not album only at emusic - 49 cents each.
  • edited November 2012
    Hi all, My Playlists and other bugs from the weekend should be working again. Long story, simple fix....

re: the accents and special characters - I actually typed up a response on this board on Friday, apparently I didn't hit 'add your comments'... We know the reason that is happening, it's actually not in our software but in one of the underlying pieces that is playing up when translating characters that are not the 'English norm'. A fix is planned, but since it's so far at the bottom of the tech pile it can be tricky to fix. I'm still trying to work out a workaround so you can search those tracks in the meantime, just have not figured it out yet.

@Brighternow - no plans at all at this stage, we are focussing on making the AU and US market perfect first, could be another month, year, etcetc.
  • Well I agree Brighternow!! I feel that I am really missing something here.
  • @dddanmar - Thanks for the update... everything is indeed working again.
  • A couple notes from the beautiful mess that is Guvera. You can get this fayntaystic Chess Soul set - if you can find it. I was finding isolated tracks, but couldn't get to the whole album. Album doesn't show up even if you search on a track title(eg, "Selfish One") unless you hit enter. Then the correct track will show up, though not the album. *But* if you click on the track title in the box (under the album image), the full album finally shows up!

So...that's Guvera search for you. It would enhance the site's value immeasurably if we could share links to tracks or albums directly - hopefully that's an enhancement that's in the works.

Also DL'd a track that cut off early when I listened to it - Suspect that was a network problem on my end, as it came through properly when I re-DL'd. Worth checking track times after DL.
  • @Doofy - Thanks for that! That's is interesting... I wonder how much stuff I assumed wasn't there because it wasn't showing in the search window as I typed out a search string. I'll have to remember to go ahead and hit <enter> once I get far enough along in my search string to see what surprises/hidden gems might await.
  • I've had four or five tracks that cut off early - their DL process is very sensitive to network congestion, more than with any other site I use.
  • Based on the way the files are protected, if your internet hiccups the transfer can stop, and there is no resume as your browser cannot find the file again.

If you get stuck on a bad day of downloading and burn some credits, you can always hit up support@guvera.com and let them know, they always try to be helpful and get you back on track.

And search, oh search.... It will get better, promise.
  • @dddanmar: to be clear, if the download is interrupted, there's nothing that can be done to restart it?

Thanks, BT.
  • Guvera + serviceable search --> Awesomeness.

Shorter cut to that Chess comp, btw, is to search on the exact start of the title, ie, "A Decade of" + enter. All albums starting thus then appear. You can guess what happens if you search "The Best of"
  • BT, I just saw your post to me on the previous page, sorry I missed that.

>> From what I can tell, downloads from my fully updated version of Opera won't work at all.
    Opera is not a supported or tested browser on our side at all. While it should work, there could be problems there.
    For me, best case scenario is always the most up to date version of Chrome, while we also test with Firefox, Safari and IE.

>>I don't know if there's a pattern.

I can say in the last few weeks the pattern may simply be that we are continually shifting all of the tracks around at the moment in an effort to consolidate some avenues of our service, to leave room to expand for some other areas.
    The album art that was showing incorrectly that you noted was another victim of this move. There's a tipping point where all of the content is going to get better (I've been raving on about it in previous posts) - you'll find this will fix your (and pretty much everyone's elses) problem.

>>if the download is interrupted, there's nothing that can be done to restart it?
    If you still have the original popup open with the download link, you can try to regrab it there.
    However the link is time based so it may not be available after that.

>> I'm not so much upset that I lost more credits today than I feel frustrated with the experience.
    Thanks for the patience, while the music is free and fantastic, we are still improving the experience...
  • Woo, one of the developers just came in and said that a fix was just put live for searching with accents in characters.

I can search for Mötley Crüe

And it shows up in search! Would be great to hear if this resolves (some) searching issues for you all.
  • edited November 2012
    In case anyone fancies some trance ambient for very free, the album "Live at Glastonbury Festival 2005" by H.U.V.A. Network has 11 tracks, but the last one, which shares the album title, is in fact a continuous mix of the whole album, so you can get the whole album for one credit. (European folk - this may be the case on emusic also)
  • @dddanmar,
    I don't know if you are able to answer a more specific question about forthcoming track availability, but here goes:

I have been grabbing a number of albums that have one track missing. Examples would include e.g. Pink Floyd - A Saucerful of Secrets, Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else, Miles Davis - Workin', Miles Davis - Steamin'...

It is unclear to me whether the missing tracks are ones that went missing the in the glitches and will come back in 8 weeks or so, or whether there are also tracks that are principially missing.

They often correspond to tracks that are album-only at Amazon, and I can imagine a world in which labels might give you rights only to the standard-price tracks because you pay them a standard amount for tracks regardless. On the other hand, some of these (like most of the tracks from Duet by Archie Shepp and Dollar Brand) were definitely present on Guvera before the problems, and so are presumably coming back.

The decision this leaves me with (as an obsessive album-completer) is whether to spend money elsewhere completing albums or sit tight for future free completion at Guvera. Any advice?
  • Guvera users who like Radiohead and don't know The Pineapple Thief might enjoy trying out the album Tightly Unwound.
  • edited November 2012
    Gas by Wolfgang Voigt is on Guvera (a collection of rare Gas tracks. 5 tracks)
  • Schoolyard Ghosts by No-Man is on there too - Steve Wilson (Porcupine Tree) project.
  • @GP - Short answer is no, I can't answer specific questions about content at this point.
    On a technical side, I'm the guy.
    As far as any agreements for what music we are allowed to distribute, this is far from my area and not my place to comment at all.

I can try to take a look at in our internal database of content and see if I can see the last tracks you are referring to, but it's a busy few days over here until the end of the week so it might take a day or two or five to check.

If it were me wanting to complete the tracks, I'd wait until we issue our content fixes and see if they become available. However, it depends on how far deep your compulsion to have the albums completed ASAP goes ;)
  • dddanmar - A couple faulty downloads I've found: Track 1 on Parliament's Mothership Connection, "P-Funk (Wants To Get Funked Up)" and Track 1 on Jessie Ware's Devotion, "Devotion". I didn't try any other tracks on those albums once the first tracks failed.

Craig
  • @dddanmar, no worries, guessed as much. Seemed worth asking. We'll see if the monkeys outlast the compulsion.
  • @Doofy unless you hit enter
    I could kiss you! I am finally finding things!
  • You can also click on "now playing" in the lower left to go back to the search result that originally brought you to the track you're listening to.
  • Many thanks again to Doofy for those Norman Granz finds he put in the Listening thread. For anyone who needs a long term project I did an Amazon search of Verve jazz priced high to low - good chance of finding something to keep busy there. Once again, I say, son, I say, son, thank you.
  • I just noticed a "My Library" link next to "My Playlists"... Looks to be a consolidated listing of everything I have in "My Playlist" - sortable by Track, Artist or Album.

Pretty cool, Guv!
  • The Complete Argo Mercury Sessions yields the hours-long Farmer-Golson Jazztet comp.
  • That Verve list is great, thanks BT. I have most of the Jazztet albums - want to take the time to go through that box set and see what I might be missing.
  • edited December 2012
    6a00e0098c505188330120a6a814c9970c-450wi.jpg

I had maybe two dozen jazz albums before all this started :-). Thanks everyone, even for the slight sense of wide-eyed panic..
  • edited December 2012
    Part of the Raster-Noton catalog is on Guvera, for fans of sine waves and crunchy noises. The following artists are present:
    Alva Noto
    Alva Noto & Ryuichi Sakamoto
    Grischa Lichtenberger
    Ryoji Ikeda
    Frank Bretschneider (only his "Rhythm" album - but I highly recommend that one)
    Kangding Ray
    Byetone (if you use some of the advanced searching tricks the whole of his Plastic Star EP is on there - good stuff)
    Atom TM
    COH + Cosey Fanni Tutti
    Wolfgang Voigt